Roush Exhaust Blew up?

Discussion in '2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech' started by Sjay89, Jul 7, 2020.

1. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Rodent or packing materials in there could have supplied the "fuel". If the engine were running properly, and the catalysts working as intended, there would normally not be enough fuel downstream of the cats to cause an explosion. If there was an air leak in the installation, alternative fuel source and super heated gas coming from the cat - BOOM!

06 T-RED S/C GT likes this.
  2. jewc75

jewc75 forum member

Ahhh the ole banana in the tail pipe trick........

WNYGT5-0, crjackson2134 and Flusher like this.
  3. 06 T-RED S/C GT

06 T-RED S/C GT forum member

First off! The Roush mid-resonator catback exhaust was designed to be used with the stock catted mid-pipe in place. Therefore, I don't buy in for a single moment about the resonators being mounted just before the rear axle as a contributing factor for causing catalytic converters to overheat. If that were in fact the case? there would be far more wide spread complaints rather than just a few isolated issues. Actually, up until the OP posted his recent experience, I don't recall coming across any other posts regarding an exhaust system component exploding from a catalytic converter overheating due from installing mid-mounted resonators lol. Another reason I don't buy into your claim, is prior to the debut of the S197 Mustang in mid 2004, the exhaust systems were all designed with the mufflers mounted before the rear axle. Perhaps it's possible the OP's issues were related from an improperly calibrated tune, but that's also highly doubtful, as installing a mid-muffler/resonator cat-back exhaust does not require any additional tune modifications. That being said, I stand by the previous post regarding the OP's issue was more than likely caused by either a manufacturers defect or possibly from some form of road construction debris :shrug:

Also note that all factory exhaust systems for the Coyote 5.0 cars include resonators!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Probably true.

5. Coosawjack

Coosawjack forum member

Subscribing 'cause I'd like to know WTF happened??:cool:

6. Iceman62

Iceman62 Bullitt 6005

Where's the OP...better pics needed & was the cat-back new, or used?

7. WNYGT5-0

WNYGT5-0 Member

He fell for the banana in the tailpipe.

8. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Wonder where our boy went?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

9. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

I'm guessing that there was never any damage and it was just something melted onto the outside...

MrAwesome987 likes this.
  10. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

I'm guessing that system is no where near new. Several rust spots around that "blowout". This thing was rotten when he bought it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  11. Coosawjack

Coosawjack forum member

Looks to me like it was a Fiberglass patch that blew out??:cool:

MrBhp likes this.
  12. WNYGT5-0

WNYGT5-0 Member

My bet here is that he bought a second hand exhaust that someone had stored with some plastic bags shoved inside to keep critters and stuff out. Installed without removing the bags. Bags melted...blew a bubble... the bubble popped.

MrBhp likes this.
  13. 06 T-RED S/C GT

06 T-RED S/C GT forum member

Yup! the bubble popped and then went [​IMG]

:laughlots:

14. jewc75

jewc75 forum member

lmao at the comments. thanks for the laughs guys!!!!

WNYGT5-0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.