Running weird issue

Zoom-zoomhatch

Reaction score
I’ve tried endless searching and the Facebook groups with no results, but this group usually has some good info so here goes. I have an 05 running the Detroit rockers cams, longtubes, frpp mani, and .410’s. At the time of install the thing was awesome, but as of late it just feels slouchy, and the most noticeable thing is at idle the lope is just not as clean as it was, muddled if you will, you can still here the car is cammed but it just doesn’t sound right. Plugs are fresh and no CEL’s. Even plugged in to check for codes that may have not thrown a light. It’s on a brenspeed email tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what I’m wondering mostly is if it’s possible the vvt system is worn at 135k and I should be running lockouts. They weren’t required for the cam but maybe I should check a set out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoom-zoomhatch

Reaction score
That was an avenue of concern also. I bought the car with 90k in 2011-12. It’s been on daily duty till about 4 years ago but I’m a truck driver so it didn’t get driven a whole bunch. May be about that time to pull it and refresh.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Before you start throwing parts at the problem, try the simple things like cleaning the inside of the throttle body and the MAF sensor element.
If that fails, check if the catalytic converters (unless you have an offroad midpipe) are plugged with ceramic material that might have broken away.
Phaser lockouts won't solve your problem, and they're not required with Detroit Rocker cams anyway. At 135k miles, there'll be some degree of valve train wear but it shouldn't be significant enough to warrant refurbishing. It's more likely that the mesh screen inside the VCT solenoids could be clogged up so pull them out, inspect, and clean if necessary.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Are you just used to the power level now and your engine is fine?

I would start with a compression check and leak down test to verify the condition of the engine. Agree with the possibility of the converters starting to clog up, that will definitely reduce power.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If a vct issue or anything mechanical was causing commanded angle not to match it would throw codes and can go into limp mode.

Like mentioned, do some maintenance.

Something as simple as dirty maf or TB can cause it to idle higher and cause lope sound to reduce.

Zoom-zoomhatch

Reaction score
I’ve cleaned the maf with the spray from oriellys. What would be the best way to clean the throttle body? And the thing about the vct solenoids, where would they be located? There are no cats to worry about clogging :).

46addict

Reaction score
On the TB, some say not to push the blades open with your fingers but I've done this on three different TBs with no issue. The other option is to have someone or something hold the pedal down while you get in there and wipe it down. A baby bottle brush, toothbrush, and paper towels are what I've used in the past.

I don't know of a way to remove and inspect VCT solenoids without removing the valve covers and removing the solenoids. The screen that people are talking about face the crank side of the engine so you have to take them off and flip them to look.

Something like an vacuum leak can cause a car to run this way too, so I would go over vacuum lines. Tug on them and see if they're brittle/about to break.

Zoom-zoomhatch

Reaction score
Gave the maf and throttle body a good cleaning. Also removed and re installed the intake mani cause I was hearing what sounded like it was pulling air somewhere. Either way it’s 100% better.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My exhaust valves were shot and ring oil seal was poor at 80,000 miles. I think the rings were always bad.

Do a leak leakdown test. Have a tuner or dealership evaluate phaser function. A good mechanic could diagnose easily. Good mechanics are few and far between.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back