S197 for a Mach1 and cash? dont know what to do

doodad

Let's race!
Reaction score
S197. I bought my S197 over a mach 1. My roommate bought a mach 1 and suggested me to buy one too, but i had to have the s197. By the way, i owned an S197 in 06, traded into an 03 cobra and now back to an s197. today, i \would pick an 03/04 cobra over an s197 gt anyday and that is the only new edge i would get over an s197. i have owned both and not biased.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
Get the Mach and eaton swap it. You'll make around 475 rwhp with the stock imported blower. U should be able to do that for well under 3g's. There is a kid around here that has that setup and drags a lot of people. A pretty nice setup.

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
I('d keep the 05. dont forget you will have to pay taxes on the sale..

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
Well, depends on if you plan on keeping the mustang long term. If you hold on to the Mach 1 for twenty years, I'll bet it has more value than a regular S197.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is if you can drive, show me a bone stock s197 GT that has run 12's and has trapped 108. Mach 1's have done it.

A Lot of people here are biased. Have each and everyone of you driven an n/a Mach to compare to a GT? Probably not.

Sure, the GT has the nicer interior, the new refined feel, the better rear end. However, a mach 1 is cheaper to mod, makes more power mod for mod, weighs less, is actually a unique car and just as rare, and holds its value to this day.

I would say skip the Mach and GT, and get either a cobra or a used GT500 and call it a day.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
There are NO "pros" to this unless you just HAVE to have an R Code VIN. Otherwise, fuck it. I NEVER get why ANY S197 owner has to have some momment of hesitation when faced with a chance to get a shit ass, fossilized 1979 chassied Mustang.

Agreed... old ass shit chassis... I should know, I try to drive one around road courses with other shit box cars.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
All I have to say is if you can drive, show me a bone stock s197 GT that has run 12's and has trapped 108. Mach 1's have done it.

A Lot of people here are biased. Have each and everyone of you driven an n/a Mach to compare to a GT? Probably not.

Sure, the GT has the nicer interior, the new refined feel, the better rear end. However, a mach 1 is cheaper to mod, makes more power mod for mod, weighs less, is actually a unique car and just as rare, and holds its value to this day.

I would say skip the Mach and GT, and get either a cobra or a used GT500 and call it a day.

Just curious what is cheaper to mod on a 4.6 4v than a 4.6 3v. I have looked at mods for my 05 gt it seems to be cheaper to mod than my 96 cobra was. Basically what ever you can do to a Mach can be done on a 96 cobra.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Intake spacer for one. That's a 100 dollar mod good for 5-7 rwhp and 10+rwtq. Since the car is older, parts are not as expensive as a newer GT.

Other good things are modifying the shaker. Getting a 20 dollar air diverter reduces IATs about 6-10 degrees. There is also the iac plate which helps with rpms.

There is plenty to do. Stock for stock they're already faster than a GT.

Also a really cheap mod is swapping 96-98 cobra can be bought for about 150 bucks. Most machs with that swap, basic bolt ons are making 325-330 rwhp and 340+ rwtq.

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
i had an 04 mach 1 with the procharger. stock i thought it was fast but ended up getting rid of it after 3 yrs for an 08 saleen. both cars are great. i loved the shaker too. you could do the eaton swap but will be limited to around 450ish to the wheels unless you build the bottom end. same thing with the s197 if its stock. more parts for the s197 to choose from. i will probably end up getting another one in a few years if not an 03/04 cobra.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to question your knowledge I was curious, I am a rookie when it comes to the s197 but I am a vet when it comes to 96-98 4v cars. I actually turned down an azure blue Mach for my 05, the Mach felt just as fast but the ride and handling wasn't near to par compared to the 05 gt. The only bad thing about 4v is you have to get way up in the rpm to make it come to life. 4:10 or 4:30 is a must on them. My 05 gt seems to put the hp/tq in the lower to mid range which I like better. A Mach might be faster stock for stock idk but I can tell you this when my 96 cobra was stock it wasn't as fast as my 05gt. My buddy has a 03 torch red Mach 5sp I have layed it on him a few times now, he might not be a good driver though? I mean he def reels me in, in third gear he closes the gap and we finish dang near dead even. But when it comes to corner carving I have the better car by far.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
4v is you have to get way up in the rpm to make it come to life. 4:10 or 4:30 is a must on them

I will respectully disagree. My buddy has a fully bolted 01 cobra with a t-56 and 3.73's and that thing moves just as good as my car if not better from a 40 roll even being at a lower rpm.

both cars will need things like rear control arms, shifter's, etc.. however the mach does benefit from subframe connectors which isn't necessary on the S197. the rear end on the mach will also be worse and the trans will be a little worse as well as its not the updated 3650. headers/cams will be more expensive than the S197 and MUCH harder to install. But the mach 1 will weigh 100-200lbs less and make about 20whp more fully bolted and same follows with cams. but drive both and you will see the s197 interior/chassis is far far ahead of the mach and thats was too big a factor for me.

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
I had a 03 and was a sweet car but love my 07 it's a much better looking car

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
I will respectully disagree. My buddy has a fully bolted 01 cobra with a t-56 and 3.73's and that thing moves just as good as my car if not better from a 40 roll even being at a lower rpm.

both cars will need things like rear control arms, shifter's, etc.. however the mach does benefit from subframe connectors which isn't necessary on the S197. the rear end on the mach will also be worse and the trans will be a little worse as well as its not the updated 3650. headers/cams will be more expensive than the S197 and MUCH harder to install. But the mach 1 will weigh 100-200lbs less and make about 20whp more fully bolted and same follows with cams. but drive both and you will see the s197 interior/chassis is far far ahead of the mach and thats was too big a factor for me.

Lol it's cool, just from experience that's what I know about 4v cars, they are rpm happy and need gears, stock 3.27 just don't cut it in a 4v unless you are boosting the crap out of it. I had went from 3:27 in my cobra to 4:10 it was a whole new car and fast with the gears, yes my cobra na with 4:10 would mop my 05. But bone stock vs my 05 bone stock my 05 would win. But a stock 96 cobra is 305hp 300tq a Mach is what 315-320hp? So that does make a difference lol. Everyone has an opinion, IMO if it ain't a termi i wouldn't do it. Mach are sweet but I wouldn't trade my 05 gt for it. S197 handle better.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Machs have 325 hp (underrated) and 330 tq with 3.55 gears. That is a decent difference.

They also weigh almost 100 lbs less from the factory than a new GT, rev a lot higher, have better brakes, lowered from the factory, etc.

As I've said, thanks to Evan smith, he pulled a 12.9 @ 108 in a stock Mach 1. Fastest 3G was 13.2 @ 105. FYI

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
Put them on a curvy road and see who does better, the s 197 handles much better. I would own a stock Mach in the corners, I just got out of my buddies Mach after done curves I told him to drive my 05 he agreed hands down my car is far better in the corners and much better ride. He liked my car so much he is looking at a 06 gt tomorrow lol.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
As I've said, thanks to Evan smith, he pulled a 12.9 @ 108 in a stock Mach 1. Fastest 3G was 13.2 @ 105. FYI

and thats the only time you will ever see those times, is in a magazine by evan smith. im not saying a mach isnt faster stock for stock, but not by much. and the machs dyno about 270 stock so i dont think the 305 rating is that much underrated.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Put them on a curvy road and see who does better, the s 197 handles much better. I would own a stock Mach in the corners, I just got out of my buddies Mach after done curves I told him to drive my 05 he agreed hands down my car is far better in the corners and much better ride. He liked my car so much he is looking at a 06 gt tomorrow lol.

How often do you road race? Are you a seasoned racer? How many events do you attend?

I drive both cars each week. An 07 GT and my Mach. My 07 starts to lose the rear end on the same turns I drive on daily around 45-50. My mach goes almost until 60 before the rear end cuts loose.

To be honest, you saying you and your buddy race, blah blah, has no backing.

3V - Evan Smith managed to duplicate very similar times. Also, if you join M1R, you will see there are plenty of guys running bottom 13's @ 106-107. A Stock 3V won't touch those times, let alone those traps.

Quite a few people have put down 280-290 RWHP stock. Not the norm, but have you ever seen a stock 3V put down 280-290 RWHP stock and trap 107?

Last edited:

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
How often do you road race? Are you a seasoned racer? How many events do you attend?

I drive both cars each week. An 07 GT and my Mach. My 07 starts to lose the rear end on the same turns I drive on daily around 45-50. My mach goes almost until 60 before the rear end cuts loose.

To be honest, you saying you and your buddy race, blah blah, has no backing.

?

What's the word I'm looking for...

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
What's the word I'm looking for...

The 07 was my First Mustang.

My G/F Owns the vehicle now (even though we are both on the title)

I drive the car several times a week, over 150+ miles a week.

It's one thing to say I raced a dude, and beat him around a corner, or through 2 gears, and another to daily drive both types of cars, etc.

Want to know the word I am looking for?

Reaction score
Whole lot of win up in this thread... Just passing through...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back