S197 for a Mach1 and cash? dont know what to do

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
it will probably depend which car the OP likes better. Test drive em and see which you like more. Cant go wrong with either IMO, both are fairly close depending what you look for...

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
^It seems that anyone that offers an opinion on even thinking of getting anything other than a 3V is an idiot, has no clue what they are talking about, is a nutswinging fanboy, etc.

3V > ALL And a bag of Chips.

I gave my opinion, since I can actually say I have owned and driven both cars, unlike 99% and of course, little babies get butt hurt and upset because I hold a different opinion.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 starts to lose the rear end

hmmm...my rear end doesn't really let lose, the car understeers first. and the s197 chassis i think is very balanced. they have a decently high limit and are very predictable and easy to modulate at the limit. you can get a fox chassied car to handle like a s197 but it takes a lot of work especially with the 1960's front suspension.

and grabber can you show me where i ever said the mach 1 ISN'T the faster car?

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
hmmm...my rear end doesn't really let lose, the car understeers first. and the s197 chassis i think is very balanced. they have a decently high limit and are very predictable and easy to modulate at the limit. you can get a fox chassied car to handle like a s197 but it takes a lot of work especially with the 1960's front suspension.

I understand what you are saying.

The GT's are bulky and have more body roll IMO.

Granted, both cars run the same type of tires, which have a huge factor) ultra perf. in summer and blizzaks in winter) my Mach always takes turn with easy, less body roll, and doesn't feel loose until a higher speed.

To me, it honestly doesn't make sense a heavier, less aerodynamic car, more weight, less stopping power handles better. Very similar, but you can't really say better.

Both cars pull almost identical skidpad and G on a close course IIRC.

I do agree, the Chassis is lightyears ahead of the New Edge, the car rides quite a bit better, way more refined, etc.

It was made for the average person. Mach 1's and Cobra's were not made for the average person, and are a little rough around the edges so to speak.

Either way, the old POS most guys say about the New Edge is still to this day competition for the newer models in almost every aspect. Looks and Interior features are subjective to each person and can't be said is/are better as it is not factual.

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
The 07 was my First Mustang.

My G/F Owns the vehicle now (even though we are both on the title)

I drive the car several times a week, over 150+ miles a week.

It's one thing to say I raced a dude, and beat him around a corner, or through 2 gears, and another to daily drive both types of cars, etc.

Want to know the word I am looking for?

yeah, hypocrite, or the saying "the pot calling the kettle black"

I really do respect your well thought out arguments to put down the s197 every single chance you get, but you can't say someone is wrong and sounds retarded when you are saying the exact same argument. The s197 handles better then the mach, it's interior is much nicer, and the day to day drive ability is light years ahead.

The mach is faster in the straight line, that is all.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
drama llama

Drama%20Llama%2002.jpg

What's with all the negative waves around here?

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
actually you can compare interiors. and its funny how you pick one of the worst features on a new edge (interior) and say well its all subjective, therefor you cannot compare it. that doesn't make sense at all. because it what its made of (read hard plastic) and how quiet it is and how well its put together, all easy things to compare. and sure in terms of performance its competition for lots of new stuff, but so is an fbody and lots of other older cars.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
There's nothing "special" about the New Edge chassis- it wasn't designed to be "rough" for people looking for a special hardcore performance ride or something. It's rough because it's a parts-bin chassis that dates back to the late 70s. It's the same chassis as the fox and SN95 before. You can't really break out "New Edge" and pretend it's something different.

It does perform well, but it's good performance is mostly due to it's light weight and decent distribution (this is basically by random chance). It has it's issues, for sure.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
3V - If you want to start another fight, go right ahead. Stop trying to pick apart what I am saying.

I have owned my 07 GT probably longer than you. I've had it for 4+ years, it's been supercharged for 3 of those years. The GT gives me bad back pain, no matter how I adjust the seats. It rattles and is made of hard plastic as the New Edge interior is.

I'll still disagree that the only thing the Mach can do is accelarate faster in a straight line. That's fine.

I thought the 3V was the best thing in the world when I got it, and looked down on New Edges. Now, after owning 2 New Edges, I can at least say, with experience backing me, that the cars are comparable.

You make it sound like you are driving a Fucking BMW and comparing it to a Geo Metro.

You apparently don't really have a liking for New Edge's, which is cool.

Do you see me picking apart everything you say?

No, I did not say you said the Mach 1 isn't a faster car. However, re-read what the OP was asking. You are telling him to buy it because it handles better (Right, everyone road races the S197 GT), because the interior is prettier, and in YOUR OPINION, the car rides better. Yet, you haven't owned a Mach, or a Cobra, etc. yet try to prove your opinion is backed by facts.

Let the OP decide for himself.

Did I ever say the Mach is better? No, I said if you want a car that performs better, and rides similar, handles just as good, and depending on what style you like, the Mach is a good choice.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
It's not really fair to compare a base GT to a Mach1, but overall, the S197 is a better car than the New Edge was. Generally speaking, models get better over time. The S197 is an improvement over the old fox chassis/SN95/New Edge cars. This doesn't mean the old stuff automatically sucks, it just means that Ford has improved the Mustang and we should be happy about it. I current own a fox and an S197, I've owned two SN95s, and a New Edge. I'm not biased. I like them all in their own right.

The '94 GT was better than the '87
The '99 GT was better than the '94
The '05 GT was better than the '99
The '11 GT is better than the '04

This is progression, this is good.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
^ thank you. Someone thinking logically.

That's all I was getting at.

You can buy the s197 for OVERALL comfort and performance. Doesn't mean its better in every way.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
^ drool.

The GT is nice, and I honestly wig I could have found one in my price range when my last car was totaled. I found the Mach, in my favorite color, with pretty low miles and a few goodies. Most GTs were selling at a higher price with more miles and not in the condition my Mach was.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
My 07 starts to lose the rear end on the same turns I drive on daily around 45-50.

Goodyear F1's <--- there's the problem :boobies:

I'd prefer to have the ability to drive the car with the throttle more, the s197 is better at that than the old fox design.

My thoughts are this..
If the suspension on the sn95/newedge/30year old fox was/is so badass.

a. Why did Ford change it to a 3 link on the s197
and
b. Why do companies like MM, Griggs, Agent 47, etc.. offer 3 link / torque arm kits for the Fox chassis

I'm not saying your mach1 doesn't handle better, but I also don't know what's done to it either.

I do know it's a kick ass color! :thumb2:

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
You are telling him to buy it because it handles better

i never told him which one to buy. i gave him pros and cons of each and told him he has to decide what car he wants. and you don't have to be on a road course to appreciate better handling :)

and your right i haven't owned a new edge car but a good friend of mine has a 01 cobra and i like it. its faster with the same mods and looks badass. so its not like i haven't been around a new edge car. i like certain things about them and dislike others. and TO ME, I liked the s197 more and i never told the op anything different.

and look what your saying to the op, your saying you can't compare the interior, your saying the mach handles better cause of that one turn you drive on, your saying you get all kinds of back pain driving the s197, but you give me shit "picking apart" what you say?

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
i never told him which one to buy. i gave him pros and cons of each and told him he has to decide what car he wants. and you don't have to be on a road course to appreciate better handling :)

and your right i haven't owned a new edge car but a good friend of mine has a 01 cobra and i like it. its faster with the same mods and looks badass. so its not like i haven't been around a new edge car. i like certain things about them and dislike others. and TO ME, I liked the s197 more and i never told the op anything different.

and look what your saying to the op, your saying you can't compare the interior, your saying the mach handles better cause of that one turn you drive on, your saying you get all kinds of back pain driving the s197, but you give me shit "picking apart" what you say?

LOL Wrong again.

I stated to YOU why I prefer the New Edge. It's not just one turn bud. However, it's about a 70 Degree angle.

Here are the pros, to be fair.

Mach:

Faster stock for stock Vs 3V GT
Better Brakes
Lighter Weight
Better top end
Functional Shaker
Exclusive and Rare car
Lowered from the Factory
Better bang for Buck

GT:

Better daily driveability - Possibly
Nicer interior
Better Chassis
Newer Technology
More interior Features
More expensive to Mod
Does not respond as well to mods
Not as exclusive, craploads of them on the road.

Fair?

Again, you, and most others, have never owned, driven, etc. a New Edge, yet say it is a terrible car, blah blah blah. That's like saying my G/F is hotter, not knowing what yours looks lke (unless you have a boyfriend, which I respect :D ) and is based on opinion.

FLIHIL (Sorry, didn't quote you, trying to guess your name off of memory)

I agree. The GT is an improved New Edge. My mach has stock Suspension, however, they are lowered and come with Tockiko (struts?) from the factory. My GT has stock suspension as well. The technology is better, however, it's safe to say it is not 20X better than most people make it out to be. At best, the results are marginal on paper and on the streets. It's not like the GT Pulls .104 G and 90 MPH on the Skidpad. It's around 65 MPH which is right where the Mach is. It's a very small difference.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly my 01 GT had less interior rattles and squeaks maybe because it didn't have fancy chrome plastic crap all over.
I like my 10 GT because of its styling. If I had to choose between mach 1 vs 05-09, mach 1 fo sho.
and exhaust sound on new edge :drool:

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
More expensive to Mod

depends on what mods your talking about but i think its fair to say, some stuff is cheaper and some stuff is more expensive. for instance a driveshaft, its like $250 for a aluminum ds for a new edge, im jealous lol.

how does the ride height sit on the mach compared to a 01 cobra? cause my buds 01 cobra was more of a moon cruiser than my GT was.

but yea for the most part, what you said was fair.

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
The Mach 1 are holding there value pretty good right now.I say go ahead and get it.If you decide you don't like it put it up for sale.You should have no problem getting your money back out of it.Just put the 3 grand in the bank before you mod it.Drive for a month or 2 and see how it feels.If you like it mod the heck out of it and if you don't sell it and take the 3 grand and the money from the mach and buy something else(2011 GT perhaps).

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
depends on what mods your talking about but i think its fair to say, some stuff is cheaper and some stuff is more expensive. for instance a driveshaft, its like $250 for a aluminum ds for a new edge, im jealous lol.

how does the ride height sit on the mach compared to a 01 cobra? cause my buds 01 cobra was more of a moon cruiser than my GT was.

but yea for the most part, what you said was fair.

I agree. You can do more small things to the Mach to get it faster stock than you can on a GT. Since the car is newer, the parts are newer and still expensive.

The car sits pretty decent. Even with Low profile tires, the car looks decently lowered, and rides well. Very smooth on the highway, you can feel bumps when you hit them going certain speeds (typical though)

I love the stance overall. However, there is no stance like an 03/04 Cobra with some 335's+ at the rear with a polished exhaust. :drool:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back