S197 for a Mach1 and cash? dont know what to do

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
How often do you road race? Are you a seasoned racer? How many events do you attend?

I drive both cars each week. An 07 GT and my Mach. My 07 starts to lose the rear end on the same turns I drive on daily around 45-50. My mach goes almost until 60 before the rear end cuts loose.

To be honest, you saying you and your buddy race, blah blah, has no backing.

3V - Evan Smith managed to duplicate very similar times. Also, if you join M1R, you will see there are plenty of guys running bottom 13's @ 106-107. A Stock 3V won't touch those times, let alone those traps.

Quite a few people have put down 280-290 RWHP stock. Not the norm, but have you ever seen a stock 3V put down 280-290 RWHP stock and trap 107?
. Man I was just stating what have noticed that's all no need to jump my ass. I don't race road course, I was just stating what my friend noticed between my car and his Mach. (idk what the starter of this thread intends to do with his car)And yes me and my friend did race and I know it doesnt mean squat with out real times to prove what might be happening. And you say "you haven't owned a new edge" well my 96 cobra is damn close I think (almost the same engine, same suspension almost, same breaks, it does alot of things very well, but so does my 05. I am not telling the thread starter to chose a s197 or else, just stating an opinion like you are. I don't proffesionally road race or drag race. The thread started needs to drive both and decide. I didn't post my thoughts to start a word war. Just an opinion, IMO the s197 handles better of you like going out on country roads and having fun, the interior IMO is better more refined, i like the styling. To agree with you yes the Mach is faster straight line overall, it's is a sexy car. I stated above I about bought a azure blue Mach before my 05, just liked the 05 slightly better that's all. I ain't saying by no means machs are junk. Both s197 and Mach deserve respect in their own right. We cool ;)

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
What makes the brakes better on a Mach compared to the 05 gt? I don't really know what makes then different? I haven't looked in to it yet?

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
GT brakes are 12 inch brakes. Machs have the same
Brakes as the 03/04 cobra which are 13 inch brakes.

Were cool :)

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
GT brakes are 12 inch brakes. Machs have the same
Brakes as the 03/04 cobra which are 13 inch brakes.

Were cool :)

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Either way the thread starter can't loose, Mach are very sweet car so is s197, hey at least he is going with a mustang and not a ls1 based car lol. I love my s197 I love the 96 cobra and my coupe all do great things.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
So what does a stockish s197 3v 5sp stick run in the 1/4th and 1/8th. I am just using the numbers to compare to when my 96 cobra was stock.it ran a 8.8 first time out 1/8 if I remember it turned a 14.1 or 14.2 in 1/4. Could I expect better or worse out of my 05. My buds Mach ran a 8.6 first pass out in the 1/8th no 1/4 times yet.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
i would guess high 8's out of a stock/ish 3v with a decent launch.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
Hum, my cobra 3.27 gears stock ran 8.8 (305hp, 300tq) the 05 5sp stick has 3.55 ( 300hp, 320tq) correct.?

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
stock s197 GT with a good driver is a 13.5 great driver 13.3..

OP: since your car is modded on the mach 1 is stock i'd stick with the s197, but i also dont like the way the new edge mustangs look or the interior. someone would have to give me 6,000 to trade my '07 for a mach1 ;)

grabber is always butt-hurt in every thread when a new edge is brought up.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^It seems that anyone that offers an opinion on even thinking of getting anything other than a 3V is an idiot, has no clue what they are talking about, is a nutswinging fanboy, etc.

3V > ALL And a bag of Chips.

I gave my opinion, since I can actually say I have owned and driven both cars, unlike 99% and of course, little babies get butt hurt and upset because I hold a different opinion.

Its not the engine, its the chassis its bolted in. Plus looks. I had an 02 GT before the Grabber. My daily is a 2000, V6 auto, but still an SN95. Fuckin fossil.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
stock s197 GT with a good driver is a 13.5 great driver 13.3..

OP: since your car is modded on the mach 1 is stock i'd stick with the s197, but i also dont like the way the new edge mustangs look or the interior. someone would have to give me 6,000 to trade my '07 for a mach1 ;)

grabber is always butt-hurt in every thread when a new edge is brought up.

Yeah, I am definitely butt-hurt. I am so hurt at everyone's opinions, lol.

This has been a friendly discussion. If you don't agree the Mach is still VERY comparable to the S197, then you need to take your DA correcting ass and post on ls1tech.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Its not the engine, its the chassis its bolted in. Plus looks. I had an 02 GT before the Grabber. My daily is a 2000, V6 auto, but still an SN95. Fuckin fossil.

Pretty sure I like the way my Mach looks over my Grabber as well. In certain ways.

Chassis are one thing, the engine is the other.

I give props where it's due. Most people cannot relate to a New Edge only because their first car was an S197. Most, not all.

notastockdohc

forum member
Reaction score
I started on s fox 91 coupe 306 hci gears and spray around 450 hp then a 96 cobra 4.10 full upper/lower controll arms, vortech v1 s-trim, tri-x ect 480hp, 93 coupe stock 302, 215hp, then got the 05 gt stock. Each car does things well and not so well. I like each one.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back