SCCA autocross Irvine

BigBlue05

forum member
Reaction score
So I will be participating in my first autocross event with SCCA this Sunday in Irvine. I'm not sure what to expect so any tips on what to do or how their schedules usually work would be amazing. The website is a little confusing. It would also be cool to see if anyone on the forum will be there.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats, you're gonna love it. I haven't done SCCA sutox in a couple years but in general here is how it works:

Morning: Tech inspection & walk track, then driver meeting
Then group A runs and group B works the corners
Then lunch
Then group B runs and group A works corners

Good luck!

rcharles

forum member
Reaction score
Your not going to win the first time out. If you accept that, you will have a blast. Meet the "normals" out there and see if you can do some ride alongs when your heat is not running. I have run a lap then jumped in for a ride along with a guy in the same class before. Just depends on the driver. Some are too afraid of the extra weight in the car. There are usually guys out there with a lot of experience and don't assume the fastest car is the guy with the nicest car. Most important, when they give you the time to walk the track, walk the track!!!!, then walk it again and again. See if one of the regulars will walk it with you and they will help you with brake points and lines.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Get there early, so that you won't be rushed getting your car ready for tech inspection and dealing with the rest of the administrative matters.

Inspection - all loose objects need to be taken out, especially the floor mats. You may want to clean your windshield and top off your oil. They should check things like brake pedal feel, battery for being firmly secured, wheel bearings for looseness, no obvious fluid leaks, etc.

You will have to go through a registration procedure of some kind, and there will be at least one waiver that you'll have to sign (possibly on the way in to the lot). At some point there will be a drivers' meeting that you are required to attend.

Bring plenty of water (staying hydrated is important), and a snack or even a couple of sandwiches. Food may or may not be available on site, there may or may not be anything close enough, and a lunch break period may or may not be provided for in the day's schedule. As weather conditions suggest - something to sit on, sunscreen, umbrella, towels, jacket, hat, sunglasses. Better to come prepared.

Walk the course, preferably more than once. If there is any organized instructed course walk offered, tag along. If instructed runs (an instructor rides with you and provides help during your run and critique afterward) are available, take advantage.

Have fun. I hope that at least knowing about the above will make it easier for you to enjoy the event.

Norm

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
There is usually a novice walk through led by an experienced autocrosser, do that.

Also, bring sunscreen, a folding chair, a tire gauge, and one of those little home depot air compressors is great to have. If you're on the stock all season tires, air them up to around 42-44psi front, and 36-38psi rear.

Also make sure your lug nuts are all torqued to spec

claudermilk

Reaction score
Well hell. :( I am in San Diego this weekend, so will miss this event. Now I am doubly sad about that.

Like has been said, arrive in plenty of time before the event. If you haven't been to the El Toro site, finding the location is a bit tricky the first time out. Take a right from Marine Way at the guard shack. Watch for the little, hard-to-see signs. You will take a left by the group of buildings, then a right where you get onto the runways & see the K-rails. From there, you should be able to see the group of cars & EZ-ups.

I am assuming you're running FS. So you run in the first group. That means arrive good & early so you can get registered, teched, and walk the course. They will have a novice walk around 8 or 8:30; listen to the announcements for exactly when to show up at the start line. Also tell them you want an instructor; said instructor will ride along, and drive your car for a run or two--that is eye-opening to realize just what the car can really do.

You will be working group 2, so right after finishing up you last run, get to the timing RV and get a work assignment. Probably chasing cones. They really mean it when they tell you to ALWAYS pay attention and watch the cars near you. My last event, I had to run away from cars THREE times. Lost/out of control newbies kept things exciting that day. Usually it's fairly quiet and that doesn't happen, worst case you are by a cone everyone likes to kill & get some exercise running to set it back up.

You should be done by lunchtime, but they normally have a lunch truck show up about 11. I prefer to bring my own food in a little cooler.

BigBlue05

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the feedback! I really do appreciate it! I'm definitely not looking to win, just to have fun and enjoy everything I've done to the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back