SCT X3 update

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Well, since my Hot Rods and Kooks don’t seem to be getting installed in the immediate future, I finally decided to get a bolt on tune from Lito (I bought the Cammed tune months ago). I am curious to see the difference in it and the old Bama tune (when Doug was still doing them).

My question, is there a way to save my factory tune to the laptop in case the update goes sideways. Seems like I recall some X3 tuners crapping the bed when updated. I’d really like to protect my factory run just in case.
I know this is a noob question, but I appreciate your input.
Rick

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I know you can save the factory backup on an X4. In the SCT Device updater, under advanced options, there is the "Get stock file from device" will let you save the factory calibration to the PC.

But I've never come to need it. All you need to do is "restore to stock/un-marry" the tuner from the car if things go awry. OR, just reload your other tune.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I figured that part out.
My next issue, is how long does it take the update to run?
I left it after about an hour with no visible progress on the status bar after the initial 10% or so.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I figured that part out.
My next issue, is how long does it take the update to run?
I left it after about an hour with no visible progress on the status bar after the initial 10% or so.

That is not good. It takes roughly 5 minutes to flash the PCM. It is "hung" if the progress stopped.

Is the odometer displaying milage or -------- ?

travelers

Reaction score
Roughly 5 is right. I would go on there web site and see what they say about a hung install.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Hey sorry if I wasn’t clear, I was updating the firmware on my X3 before I loaded the new tune.
It had all those “ do not unplug your device while it is updating or you will lose your operating system” messages.
Finally I just canceled and re-started the firmware update. It took about 15 minutes, then I transferred my new tune in and loaded in my car.
I must say I felt a definite improvement over my old Bama tune! All the way through the powerband, definitely more power

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed. Gotta love computers.....

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I haven’t updated it since I got it and it came preloaded with Bama tunes

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back