Serious noob question about ATF

dperkinson

Reaction score
Okay..So.. I want to get my ATF changed, How much do I need to buy to take to the mechanic? I assume if I'm just doing a change, not a flush I wont need like 12 quarts will I? 2010 GT 4.6l 3v AT

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for not answering your question but i'd like to offer a suggestion, Get a flush done at a shop that has A Flush machine, itll replace all your ATF... even the atf inside your torque converter... usually it gets hooked into the transcooler lines. I went to a Midas that had one back when I drove an automatic.

dperkinson

Reaction score
Ok cool.. Any idea about how much it costs? Im at 74k miles not sure what maintenance was done when I got it at 45k.. Getting some performance parts and figured its a good idea to do it before I end up killing it.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
I think its was about $75-85 bucks, but with only 45k on it, i wouldnt think you need to flush it... unless the car has been abused.

dperkinson

Reaction score
It has 74k now. I do drive it pretty hard, but the couple that owned it before me mainly drove it on vacations. They were retired. So after 45k it starting getting broke in lol.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Okay..So.. I want to get my ATF changed, How much do I need to buy to take to the mechanic? I assume if I'm just doing a change, not a flush I wont need like 12 quarts will I? 2010 GT 4.6l 3v AT

I have a 2010 auto... but swapped out the oem pan for the deeper B+M pan..that holds an extra 4 qts. I believe I used aprx 12 qts with my deeper pan... which should equate to aprx 8 qts with the oem pan.

I used RP max ATF...which is 100% synthetic. Buy 8-10 qts... then just take back any you have not opened up. Local ford dealer installed both the new pan + ATF (new pan also comes with a locking style dipstick, that comes up next to battery in eng bay. Then I can check level and add if required. New pan has a drain plug.) Dealer setup uses a vac line..and sucks the old stuff all out, including tq converter. You want to get it all out.

Back