"Service AdvanceTrac"

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read something about exhaust mods casing an issue with advance trac. Apparently the pipes can get too close to the sensors and get them too hot.
I wish I knew more detail. I suppose Ill have to look out for these sensors when Im installing my axle backs.

What kind of exhaust mods? I've put 12,000 miles on my car with cat-back exhaust and no issues. Axle-backs certainly wouldn't cause a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

audidog

forum member
Reaction score
I remember reading that same post awhile back about heat from the exhaust being an issue, iirc it was with 3" over axle pipes, some dealer had figured it out and rerouted the sensor...or something like that?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that same post awhile back about heat from the exhaust being an issue, iirc it was with 3" over axle pipes, some dealer had figured it out and rerouted the sensor...or something like that?

Hmmm. I've got Magnaflow 3" over-axle pipes and have had no issues, even when driving hard during autocrosses.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I forget which forum it was on, but I think it was with "Pype bomb" axle backs. When the owner adjusted the mid pipe to make them line up correctly the pipes got too close to some sensors back there.

EDIT:
Found it!
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/aftermarket-exhaust-warning-2010-a-494247/

I have my car back after 4 days at the dealer and I ended up with a bill for $209 dollars to repair it. When I installed the Pype-bomb muffler deletes shortly after purchasing the car I made small adjustments to the position of the pipes by loosening the bolts at the factory H-pipe and obviously the bolts behind the axle that hold the exhuast on.

Doing this caused the pipes over the axle to be just a little too close to the ABS/Advancetrac sensor wires for the right rear wheel and the wire would basically overheat and the car would lose the signal to the system and throw faults that they were able to read.

This was approximately the THIRD or FOURTH 2010-2011 Mustang they had seen with the exact same problem, all with aftermarket exhuast. The mechanic knew exactly the cause and repaired and re-routed the wire away from the exhaust for me so the problem would not return. I made VERY small adjustments to the location of the stock mid-pipe and was very surprised to see that I caused this issue.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Weird. So it was a problem with the axle-back portion, not the over-axle or "cat-back" part.

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
Has happened to me twice. Both times I was just sitting still with the engine running and my foot on the brake pedal. The second time it happened I was fortunate enough to have the service manager for my local Ford dealership in the car with me. He called out one of his techs and had him do a thorough scan and check the system. He found an open sensor code, which was gone, and nothing else. But like everyone else, turn the car off and back on again and TC is back.

Jim Vaccaro

forum member
Reaction score
I added a Line lock and first time i tried to use it i got the Service Advance track..The second time i used it it was ok...WTF ??? all this new chit we have to adjust to...:)

Phillystang06

Reaction score
I have my car in for service for the advance trac. The dealer told me they are going to have to replace the steering rack module. I'll find out more info in the next few days. Dealer said they have to order the part in.

Last edited:

Night-Mare

Reaction score
Mine has done this 3 or 4 times since I bought it. I will be cruising (I drive it like a grandma) each time it has come on. Normally after a minute or two it will flick back to normal but once I had to pull over and shut the car off and turn it back on. Each time resulted in the traction control indicator and advancetrac indicator lights turning on. I'll take it in one day but there is no way to replicate and by the time I got to the dealer it would shut off before I got there

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if you've ever felt the advance track system work in it's entirity but it saved my butt a few weeks ago. I went into a curve way too hot on an entrance ramp and began to get sideways. The brakes etc pulsed and did some weird things. It definitely saved me from loosing it ( a second time). i think the traction control lights flashed but it happened so fast. The first time.. well for another day. I know some guys pull out of the yard and immediately turn off the Advance Trak. I don't recommend it for that reason.

McClane

forum member
Reaction score
To me it seems my traction control/advance trak is too soft on my car. I can spin the tires pretty good in 1st and 2nd without traction control kicking in during a straight line. It also didn't stop me from getting way sideways when I hit the gas too soon coming out of a turn. The only time I've noticed traction control kicking in was at the strip trying to do a burnout with everything on and twice when shifting from 3rd to 4th with everything on. I've never felt Advance Trak kick in at all. Is my car just weird or is that pretty much normal?

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
mine has had the traction control light come on a twice now, whilst going along, you can feel it braking one wheel as if it is trying to correct a skid. Turn it off/on and it works again. no codes

SoCal81

Reaction score
Mr 5 0 - Did you re-install the wheel sensors into the new rims? If not i was told this is the cause of advance trac no longer able to receive a signal from the wheel when using rims w/out the sensors installed. If you reflash (e.g. w/ SCT) the PCM it will disappear. But after driving a short distance and making a few turns, the trac control will try to kick in causing the car to slow down and the ABS to kick in. It lasts a few seconds then the service advance trac message appears in the info display and the car will (should) drive normal again with out any advance trac control. Its embarrassing if there are any cars behind you while making a turn and this happens.

Back