Shaker 500 Stereo Question

Chistopher

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 2007 S197 with the 500 sound system. I find its time to replace it. From what I understand the 500 powers the 6x8's and the door 8's are powered by their own 2 amps in the passenger kick panel.

My question is, what wattage does the head unit provide to the 6x8's? The replacement radio will amp 50w to each speaker, is this similar to the stock unit?

Btw, I'm new here, if this is in the wrong subforum, let me know.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome Chris - we have a sub-forum specifically for audio.. moved

Rich

Reaction score
My question is, what wattage does the head unit provide to the 6x8's? The replacement radio will amp 50w to each speaker, is this similar to the stock unit?

The stock HU puts out 20-22 watts peak, approximately 16-18 watts continuosly. The stock 6x8's are rated at 25 watts. I had Sony WX900-BT that drove the stock 6x8's just fine.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Gotta ask...if you plan to replace HU, why does output to speakers matter b/c aren't you planning on swapping them too? Just replace all the shitty audio w/ new & match to your new output...IMO.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score

Most aftermarket head units will do 50W, peak, but their RMS (average) power is closer to 22W as rated by the manufacturers. Every manufacturer rates them differently, so there's a 3rd party rating system CTA-2006 that uses a consistent test, and their ratings tend to be in the 14-18W RMS range. The Shaker 500 HU doesn't have a CTA-2006 rating, so there's no perfect direct comparison.

I'm having a hard time digging up the specs, but I believe the rear 6x8's are a much lower rating than the door speakers, maybe 14W? If you crank the volume, there's a chance that you could damage them with a new head unit.

I'm w/ Iceman -- I'd just replace the head unit and speakers at the same time. You might be able to squeak by on the stock speakers if you're careful but even the cheapest aftermarket speakers are going to give you so much better sound than the stock ones, and handle the power of an aftermarket HU to boot. Just be sure to check both the peak and RMS ratings.

Just a note -- the amps for the subs use a 5V remote power on signal from the shaker 500 to know when to turn on. Most aftermarket stereos have a 12V remote power on signal(blue wire) to turn on external amps. You'll want to wire in a 5V regulator into the adapter wire harness to keep the subs from popping every time you turn on the radio.

oldtexasdog

Reaction score
Be aware also that the door subs are of a low impedance load that was matched to the amps behind the drivers side kick panel I believe.

Last edited:

oldtexasdog

Reaction score
so you would be better not replacing the door subs unless you want to get into a deep R&R

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
so you would be better not replacing the door subs unless you want to get into a deep R&R

Yeah I think they were dual voice coil too. I know Kicker made some shallow mount subs for the doors, but I don't remember if they were compatible w/ the stock amps.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score

I'm honestly not sure. That's a lot of money for a stereo/nav that's so outdated. Any maps are getting close to 15 years old, the interface is going to be slow, and your input options (USB, bluetooth, etc) are going to be very limited and the sound quality is not going to be any better than the Skipper 500.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back