Shark Bite fittings

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Dad, May 29, 2018.

1. Dad

Dad forum member

Anybody have experience with these? I have a copper ice maker line that I need to repair and the guy at Lowe's said they are the best thing ever. I have not connected it yet. I couldn't get the copper line to push into the coupler. Do I need to remove the little sleeve thingy from the coupler? This is what I bought.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-...-Connect-dia-Coupling-Push-Fitting/1000192625

Maybe I need the 5/16 rather than the 1/4?

2. mustang02

mustang02 forum member

They are a quick and easy fix so you don't need the sweat the pipe.

Don't remove anything. Just slide the pipe in and it will eventually stop. Maybe you have the wrong size?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. flipper

flipper Junior Member

I’ve used them...best thing since a plumbers crack...oh, did I say that? After you cut the copper pipe, de-burr before sliding on the Sharkbite. Great product...

4. jhunt47

jhunt47 forum member

I’ve used the myself very good products.

5. pass1over

pass1over I like it LOW

shark bites are great, we use them a lot at our shop. All advice given above is good advice. Deburr, cut flush, push till it stops.

6. Slick4.6

Slick4.6 forum member

Never had an issue with any I’ve used.

7. Shotokan1509

Shotokan1509 forum member

I used for hotwater heater because I may still move it slightly, haven't had any issues

8. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

No, don't remove that little sleeve, it's part of the fixing mechanism. I just used some of these to connect an RO water system under my sink. I used polyethylene tubing but it should work fine on the same OD (in my case 1/4") copper lines just as well.