Shelby CS5 wheels on an 07 Shelby GT

Discussion in 'Tires and Wheels' started by ShelbySteve, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ShelbySteve

ShelbySteve Junior Member

Have an 07 Shelby GT that is lowered (not crazy low but i can tell it isn’t stock as I bought it this way. Currently running the same gen 18x9.5 GT500’s wheels. I tried doing some searching and I’m sure it’s been asked 100x so don’t roast me too bad lol. Looking at getting the 19x9.5 in the front with 34mm offset and 19x11 by 50mm in the back. I’ve read that an adjustable pan hard bar may be needed but Shelby’s website that a watts link may be needed and I’m not ready to drop a grand just to run a certain wheel. Anyone ran these and how bad do the rear wheels/tires hang out of the fender?

edit* and I plan on running the s550 or the GT500 4 piston Brembos

2. AHaze

AHaze Junior Member

Your current wheels have a 45mm offset so the 9.5 wide 34mm offset fronts will sit 11mm farther out (same width so the offset is the only difference) and the 11 wide 50mm offset rears will sit 14mm farther out (38mm of extra wheel width, half of which is outboard of the bolt face, so 19mm, minus 5 extra mm of offset.)
    I also have GT500 wheels on my car and might be able to tuck an extra 11 mm up front with enough camber but 14mm more out back would definitely poke if matched with a tire big enough to justify the 11" wide wheel.

ShelbySteve likes this.
  3. ShelbySteve

Guess i should’ve posted the available tire sizes on the Cs5’s with what are on the car now. I have 255 on the front and 285 on the back. According to cjponyparts site I can get 255 front and 275 rear, or 305 in the rear which I think would poke out pretty bad. I also have the option to go all 4 9.5” wide I can go 255 front and 275 rears. I went outside and measured and the extra 11mm up front seems as though it’d put the tire even with the top of the fender. If I went with the 9.5” on the back and went with 275’s while I have 285’s on the back now, would the smaller tire and increased offset essentially put me sticking out an extra mm?

edit* nvm found the will it fit site and see that the rear will still stick out 11mm more. Thanks for the help and I’m off to find some different wheels lol

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  4. AHaze

AHaze Junior Member

A 10" wide wheel with 42mm offset and a 285 tire all around is a good starting point. That combo tucks a bit in the front (assuming you've added some camber) and sits fairly flush out back. You can certainly go wider (11" wide with 305s all around has been done) but it starts to involve different offsets front to rear or spacers or putting up with some poke.

5. ShelbySteve

I found a set of 20x9.5 40mm offset and 20x11 50mm offset super snake wheels for a good price. With they fit without any issues? I tried to do some searching and found plenty of guys running 20x11 outback but didn’t see any specific offsets.

6. AHaze

AHaze Junior Member

Rears will be the same deal as the rears from your first post. Gonna sit 14mm farther out than the stock GT500 wheels.
    A lot of the aftermarket 11" wheels that were supposedly designed for this chassis poke on the back. The only reason I can think of for this is to prevent an inner sidewall rub caused by the lateral slop and poor static centering of the stock panhard bar.
    At least two companies that target the time attack / road race crowd have developed 11" wide wheel packages that fit inside the wheel wells (once the axle is properly centered) but they're understandably protective of the offset numbers. Based on measurements I took on my car, I would guess the proper rear offset for 11" wides would be in the mid to high 50s. I would suggest you contact the pros rather than order custom wheels based on my rudimentary measurements though.

ShelbySteve likes this.
  7. ShelbySteve

I’m getting a good enough deal that I’m going to go ahead and make the jump and get them. I’ll post pics if I mount them lol. Thanks for the help

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  8. xeninworx

xeninworx Junior Member

The S500 4 piston brakes are kinda wide. Wider than the 4 piston Brembos. The hub on the S550 sticks out further by 3/4” so putting the S550 brakes on the S197 will come closer to the spokes.

ShelbySteve likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.