Shelby/Kicker 8" w/stock amp?

Chistopher

Reaction score
Howdy fellas,

I've got an upgraded head unit and speaker system, the only thing left to work with is the door "subs" and their amps.

I've heard the Shelby/Kicker replacement is considerably better than the stock units, even with the stock speakers, but they are both about half as loud as the stock and more focused towards low bass than midrange. I'm fine with the volume issue, my current settings cut their volume by -7 dB anyway, so if I set it to -1 dB the volume should be about the same.

My question is if I replace the stock units with the Shelbys, will I be losing out on low bass? I currently feel that the bass is too boomy on the stockers, but if I replace them will I end up feeling that I need to install trunk subs? I don't really want to install trunk subs as my trunk is usually closer to being full and my wallet is usually closer to being empty. Also are new amps worth it for them? I'm looking in the sub-$100 range for the amp if possible

I feel these are the right buy for me to finish up my sound system. Let me know what you guys think.

Chistopher

Reaction score
Also, is it possible to easily fabricate the stock speaker covers to fit over the Kickers? The covers that come with the Kickers are pretty ugly imo.

Edit: also, does anyone know why pioneer is discontinuing most of their shallow mount 8" speakers?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Shelby Kicker 8" subs of my '13's stock amp. It had the shaker system from the factory, not the shaker pro. Since the Kickers are only single voice coil vs. the dual VC design of the OEMs, you are only using one of the outputs for each speaker, and this is what causes the reduced volume. I just turned the bass setting up and could get plenty of bass that way. Later I added the Shelby Kicker amp and trunk sub, so now run the bass at a more normal level. At least on the '13 premium model, with the Shaker system, the door subs are on a separate amp and remain on that amp when the Shelby-Kicker amp is added. The S-K amp only powers the other door and rear deck speakers. It also provides a low frequency output signal and 12V power for the trunk sub, which has its own built-in amplifier.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back