Shift boot retainer issue

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
I just receive my shift but retainer for my Mustang from CJ pony parts, and it does not fit around the shifter boot. The retainer is too wide for the shift boot itself. My stock knob is that billet aluminum and the bottom of it has a chrome retainer piece which is glued into the boot.

Has anyone on here replaced their shifter knob and know what shift boot retainer they used? CJ said the only fix is to get a new shifter boot.

I have a 2011 mustang 5.0 with the 401A package.
40f9bf8ed877b3917f357a7c82f6f5b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
What shift knob did you get? I think this is the retainer you need for your trim package you have. Could be wrong. But I was in the market for a new shift knob myself. I like your style shift boot with the stem instead of wide base like 400A. Which the retainer you have is for. I was looking the Boss shift knob which goes with your style boot. So if you want to do a trade let me know. What's kept me from doing it is the cost of the knob and having to get a new boot as well.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/silverho...ainer-tube-style-billet-2005-2014/p/HW3056-V/

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I have the 401A pkg too and you cannot use your factory boot or knob with that retainer. If you decide to change your set up to the standard boot go to the dealer and buy it. The 2010s and 2011+s are not the same even though they are being advertised as so. And your factory retainer is built onto your factory knob so you'll need a new knob too.

rick@CJPonyParts

CJ Pony Parts
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Shelbie67, no need for a new boot. You will want one of the Silverhorse Racing shift boot retainers that Redline727 posted which is setup for the smaller neck on the 401A shift boot.

Contact customer service and they will take care of a return and getting you a different boot retainer ordered.

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
I have the 401A pkg too and you cannot use your factory boot or knob with that retainer. If you decide to change your set up to the standard boot go to the dealer and buy it. The 2010s and 2011+s are not the same even though they are being advertised as so. And your factory retainer is built onto your factory knob so you'll need a new knob too.

What shifter do u have? I have a new shift knob, just the retainer won't for my boot.....

I looked at getting a new boot from "a mustang rocks leather" but I wouldn't have the right plastic piece for the boot....

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
What shifter do u have? I have a new shift knob, just the retainer won't for my boot.....

I looked at getting a new boot from "a mustang rocks leather" but I wouldn't have the right plastic piece for the boot....

I recently installed a MGW shifter and the 401a boot and knob doesn't fit well with it.

Back