Short Throw Shifter !

iDance

Sign Guy
Reaction score
Ive had both the mgw and pro 5.0.

The mgw is a well engineered shifter than allows for user adjustability of the throw.
I didnt like it because it was too smooth for me and there was no feedback letting you know it was in gear. I may be biased becuase my mgw broke but i didnt care for it that much anyways so i switched to a pro 5.0 and had it for over a year. Its more notchy and firm and gives me positve feedback when shifting, its the closest i have felt to a direct shift on these linkage shifters s197s.

BTW for you mgw owners i had mine at only 6 turns out and after 3 months the threads sheared and the bottom of the shifter snapped off while driving.

So... call them and tell them. They will probably send you a new one for free.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the B&M a couple weeks ago after having the stock one in the car since I bought it two years ago. Not a big fan of it....thinking of going back to the stock one. It's very direct, but I think I like the smoother feel of the stock one.

I bought it to fix a problem that evidently wasn't shifter-related and the B&M actually magnified the problem (high-rpm shift issues at 500+rwhp). Ordered the CHE brace and limiters and hoping I can shift my car again.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score

BTW for you mgw owners i had mine at only 6 turns out and after 3 months the threads sheared and the bottom of the shifter snapped off while driving.

The ONLY issue we EVER had with the linakge breaking was the first 50 units we made over 4 years back...we had a 1/2-20 threaded linkage size and with the internal spring the wall thickness seemed too thin... we have 3 people break theirs and we immediately sent out a new linkage to EVERY cusotmer that bought the first 50 units. we also changed the shaft size to 9/16-18 from that point forward...

since that time we only had 2 people break the older model because they opted NOT to swap out the updated part until it broke or they swold the car without upgrading.

SOOO>>>

in my opinion one of 2 things happened...

you bought the MGW used

you bought the car with an mgw on it.

if NEITHER of those are true and you in fact broke our newer design i REAAALLLYYYY wanna see this shifter because i just find it amazing that you could break that piece prior to the shifter rod on the tranny snapping

we have had a few guys actually break the oem arm bolt off shifting so hard and our shifter never budged!!!

if you call me immediately and give me your name and i can look you up when it was ordered i will give you a FULL refund and or replace the shifter.

it is warrantied for LIFE!!!! so even if you like the pro5.0 better which with our new design i just cant imagine EVER being the case but i respect your opinion . you still should call me and get your money back because these shifters just to NOT break!!!!

let me know

george

www.mgwltd.com
706-793-1770

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
The ONLY issue we EVER had with the linakge breaking was the first 50 units we made over 4 years back...we had a 1/2-20 threaded linkage size and with the internal spring the wall thickness seemed too thin... we have 3 people break theirs and we immediately sent out a new linkage to EVERY cusotmer that bought the first 50 units. we also changed the shaft size to 9/16-18 from that point forward...

since that time we only had 2 people break the older model because they opted NOT to swap out the updated part until it broke or they swold the car without upgrading.

SOOO>>>

you bought the MGW used

if NEITHER of those are true and you in fact broke our newer design i REAAALLLYYYY wanna see this shifter because i just find it amazing that you could break that piece prior to the shifter rod on the tranny snapping

we have had a few guys actually break the oem arm bolt off shifting so hard and our shifter never budged!!!

if you call me immediately and give me your name and i can look you up when it was ordered i will give you a FULL refund and or replace the shifter.

it is warrantied for LIFE!!!! so even if you like the pro5.0 better which with our new design i just cant imagine EVER being the case but i respect your opinion . you still should call me and get your money back because these shifters just to NOT break!!!!

let me know

george

www.mgwltd.com
706-793-1770

thats some good CS right there......how about a good deal for the guys with the old style upgrading to the latest style?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

SOOO>>>

you bought the MGW used

let me know

george

www.mgwltd.com
706-793-1770

I see we have a new site vendor, welcome to the best car forum EVER!

monk36

forum member
Reaction score

The mgw is a well engineered shifter than allows for user adjustability of the throw.
I didnt like it because it was too smooth for me and there was no feedback letting you know it was in gear. I may be biased becuase my mgw broke but i didnt care for it that much anyways so i switched to a pro 5.0 and had it for over a year. Its more notchy and firm and gives me positve feedback when shifting, its the closest i have felt to a direct shift on these linkage shifters s197s.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a problem with your particular shifter. I've had my shifter in at max turns for the shortest throw, for over 10K miles with no problems.

MGW

paydirt

Roll Racer
Reaction score
I've had the hurst for about 18,000 miles now. Always has worked perfect, a littly notchy for some but I kind of like it

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Well i ran the stock shifter for 40k miles. I put a Pro 5.0 and thought it was much better than the stock shifter. Sometimes it was very nice and other times it seemed vague and not as smooth. I just got my new MGW and installed it yesterday. WOW George you did a great job on this. This shifter is wonderful. I did mine 6 turns out and feels great.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Well i ran the stock shifter for 40k miles. I put a Pro 5.0 and thought it was much better than the stock shifter. Sometimes it was very nice and other times it seemed vague and not as smooth. I just got my new MGW and installed it yesterday. WOW George you did a great job on this. This shifter is wonderful. I did mine 6 turns out and feels great.

Is it a lot smoother than the Pro 5.0? Is the 2-3 shift less notchy?

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Is it a lot smoother than the Pro 5.0? Is the 2-3 shift less notchy?
Yes smoother and less notchy. Throws are shorter with it 6 or 7 turns out. It is much more enjoyable on the street. I have not got to try it at the track yet.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
thats some good CS right there......how about a good deal for the guys with the old style upgrading to the latest style?

i can entertain that thought but you do know i dont mark up my stuff alot ..thats why we cannot have dealers ..just not enough margin ..but if anybody wants to upgrade call me we can probably work something out :thumb:

regards
george

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
MGW is always my #1 choice

rmays

forum member
Reaction score
Went with the hurst, LOVE it. Much better than the stock one.

DRock

Reaction score

SOOO>>>

you bought the MGW used

let me know

george

www.mgwltd.com
706-793-1770

This right here is why i am buying a MGW.

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
Hurst and I got the fix if it rattles a little. No problems with mine and I had it in since early 08.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back