Short Throw Shifter !

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive had both the mgw and pro 5.0.

The mgw is a well engineered shifter than allows for user adjustability of the throw.
I didnt like it because it was too smooth for me and there was no feedback letting you know it was in gear. I may be biased becuase my mgw broke but i didnt care for it that much anyways so i switched to a pro 5.0 and had it for over a year. Its more notchy and firm and gives me positve feedback when shifting, its the closest i have felt to a direct shift on these linkage shifters s197s.

BTW for you mgw owners i had mine at only 6 turns out and after 3 months the threads sheared and the bottom of the shifter snapped off while driving.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
On the 5 speed I had the MGW and the Hurst. I liked the Hurst better. Another shifter to look at is the Shelby. It's a little expensive but very nice. I had one on my TR6060.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Just put a Pro 5.0 in last weekend and loved it! The whole block I got to drive it before the snow started dumping again so I retreated back to the garage cursing the weather gods. lol

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
roush or stock with the saleen short throw block (which i have for sale)

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I have the Saleen and love it, but haven't driven any other SS. The short the better tho!

RONAELEGT550R

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried the Hurst short throw and it wasn't bad. I've tried the Tremec short throw and it wasn't bad either. The Steeda Triax was better than both of the previous and a lot tighter. Great shifter. Now I run a custom ProMotion Triax shifter from ProMotion Powertrain. It's designed like the Steeda but a little different. Very tight and very easy to pro-shift at high RPM. They are very resonably priced and have great customer service. You should check up in on it.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Well this thread isn't confusing.....

FWIW, the Pro 5.0 and Steeda Tri-Ax are effectively the same shifter. When I bought my car it had the Tri-Ax, and my only complaint is the urethane bushings transmit a heck of a lot of engine vibration to the cabin. I had to go back under the car and use dynomat to soften the vibs, and in the cabin too.

Melvin's Fly

forum member
Reaction score
My car is in the shop right now getting the new hood put on - I went and checked on her today, and my body guy kept talking about how great my MGW shifter was.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like both the Pro5.0 I've had. One on the stock transmission and one on the t56.

96lasersnake

forum member
Reaction score
I have a hurst in mine and hate it. It is so loud. I will be going with an MGW soon.

1FastS197

Reaction score
i have the Steeda Tri-Ax and love it... i have heard good things about the Pro 5.0 but i have never had anything but the Tri-Ax... i have had a Tri-Ax on a T5 and 3650... the T5 was a '95 car and the 3650 is a '05... i like the way MGW look! just my .02...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back