Skwerl's new cabin

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The Realtor just called me and said that the reason my offer was rejected was because they could not read the lead based paint addendum. Instead of simply emailing back and asking him to re-scan that form, they just rejected the offer. The Realtor is going to resubmit the offer again tomorrow, I'm still in the hunt.

And he agreed with my speculation that if I do have to make another offer that waiting for the listing to surpass 60 days made sense. But for right now we're sticking with my original $60 per square foot offer.

Good luck Brian, I hope you get this one. It seems like a pretty nice property and not as run down as the other house was. Hopefully your bid gets excepted this time around.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks. The house shows well but it needs just as much work as the last one. It still needs a roof, all appliances including a full AC system, a pool to fill in, all the floor coverings are worn and the kitchen and bathrooms are woefully outdated (40 year old formica counters, etc.). I could easily spend $25-30K making it nice but will most likely just move in and postpone the majority of repairs and upgrades for a year when I refinance.

The advantage of this property is mostly that it's in a much nicer area of town so property values will increase quicker.

The Realtor called me again before resubmitting my bid today. He said there are definitely multiple offers on the house so I went ahead and bumped my offer to my maximum bid. If it flies, great. If not then I'll keep looking.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The second house is definitely a much better house and a much better investment. Sounds like you'll be happy in Apop. It'll be a nice change from where you are now. I hope it works out. And like you said, throw all common sense out the window when you are dealing with banks with short sales and foreclosures. I could tell some pretty hilarious face palm stories.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, Nasty. I went by there again today and I'm beginning to think that the reason I didn't love it from the start is because it's too nice for me. I may have been raised in a nice home but I've been 'working poor' all my life and the idea of living in an upper middle class neighborhood is foreign to me.

I harassed the Realtor today and found out that the current deadline for bids is tomorrow morning at 8:16am. I assume because that's about 60 days from when it was listed (trying to guess at Fannie Mae's procedures). Should know something by Monday afternoon. I hope the big nasty rotten tree over the house is enough to scare off other bidders and my lowball bid is enough to snag it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I don't have the house yet and even if I get it I will be broke before I get moved in. But I was looking on Craigslist today (an evil, wicked, wonderful site) browsing for pole barns and found exactly what I was looking for. An all galvanized 30'x45'x12' pole barn with a hunter green metal roof. No wooden poles to rot, either. The guy bought it then changed his mind before erecting it, the kit is brand new unassembled. And it's $2K cheaper than the 30x50x12 kit I was looking at six weeks ago. It's located less than 80 miles from me.

He doesn't have architectural drawings but I may be able to get away without a permit for a while. It won't be visible from the road and with the green roof it probably won't show up on satellite pics either. They say it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

00i0i_1ey04umotGP_600x450.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since your in the country with a big lot, permit should be a breeze?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems like you could get the manufacturer info from the seller and obtain docs to get the permit. Would suck to erect it and have them say to bad. Take it down.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This one really isn't 'country' so much. And the county has a long list of requirements including two sets of site plans, architectural drawings, elevation drawings and a bunch of stuff I can't even decipher. Architectural drawings for this shed are $800 from the manufacturer so I'd probably be into it for $1500 or more by the time I got all their stupid papers together.

If I get any indication from neighbors that there could be an issue I'll bite the bullet and pay the county but I am hoping it's a fairly laid back neighborhood. I hate government.

Here's the manufacturer's website info on the building. It's the Admiral series which looks to be their best line.
http://www.atlasmetalbuildings.com/metal_buildings/admiral_series.html

Last edited:

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Fucking hell. I didn't get it. Back to square one, going to start looking again.
:angry1:

Did someone else get it or did they simply reject your offer? If it was just the offer, up the price a little and re-apply.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Come to Texas man. We've got trees and real estate.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Come to Texas man. We've got trees and real estate.

Isn't Texas all scrub brush and desert like? LOL! Just kidding. That's what comes to mind when I think Texas, but I know that's not true.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back