SLP Loudmouths, Stingers and boomtubes in CA

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
For those of you that live or have lived in CA that has had either SLP loudmouths, MAC boomtubes or Stingers, have any of you ever been harassed by the cops or got a fix it ticket because of noise ordnance?

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Don't know why the damn exhaust bug has bit me. I just installed JBA's which I bought from ED, less than 3 mths. ago. I do love the sound of the JBA's but now I want something different. I was thinking either SLP, boomtubes or stingers but I was worried about the cops and my neighbors. I live in Condo and I live for work at either 4:30 or 5:30 A:M. I guess you could make the argument that many motorcycles are louder.

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't know why the damn exhaust bug has bit me. I just installed JBA's which I bought from ED, less than 3 mths. ago. I do love the sound of the JBA's but now I want something different. I was thinking either SLP, boomtubes or stingers but I was worried about the cops and my neighbors. I live in Condo and I live for work at either 4:30 or 5:30 A:M. I guess you could make the argument that many motorcycles are louder.
I hear ya, I love the sound of my JBAs but I just want something a little louder. I think i'm going to try an X-pipe and see how that works out.

However in regards to the motorcycles being louder... Car exhaust is allowed up to 90db I believe. If you ever have a fix it ticket, you can take it to a smog station, have them spin it and check the volume and you can use that to get out of it. In regards to bikes, I don't believe there's a sound limit. From what I understand the motto is 'loud pipes save lives' in regards to the fact that you hear them coming.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I love the sound of my JBAs but I just want something a little louder. I think i'm going to try an X-pipe and see how that works out.

However in regards to the motorcycles being louder... Car exhaust is allowed up to 90db I believe. If you ever have a fix it ticket, you can take it to a smog station, have them spin it and check the volume and you can use that to get out of it. In regards to bikes, I don't believe there's a sound limit. From what I understand the motto is 'loud pipes save lives' in regards to the fact that you hear them coming.
From the clips I have heard JBA's with X-pipe don't sound nearly as good as JBA's with H-pipes.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The drone is very subjective. There is drone if you are below 1800 rpm's. If you keep it above the "drone zone" they are fine.

DoctorQ

Reaction score
I ran with Flow ATs for 12 months... decent tone, but with an auto they were just too quiet. And you are correct, they do have a mild drone in the lower RPMs... under slight load. Swapped em out with MAC Boomtubes. IMO, sound is amazing and just right. If you get on the throttle, you can definitely attract attention. I just avoid heavy throttle in the presence of any law enforcement. Normal driving, definitely not too loud. Never been harassed or pulled over for exhaust. Here's a write-up I posted on another forum back in April, including video/audio clips if you want to get a take on Boomtubes with stock H and cats.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-talk/114281-update-videos-2006-mustang-gt.html

Impact 5.0

Don't hate..Appreciate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran the FRPP stingers with Highflow X pipe, headers and saleen blower.. never got bothered at all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back