SO, mustangs to finally have independent rear suspension!

Bad_T

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, so how many people are happy with the change? I heard that the new mustang is going to have independent rear suspension. No more solid axle! Thoughts? Screams? Celebrations?

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
Pretty old news but I don't think its really a big deal honestly we've had irs mustangs before. Its a probably a good thing. The new mustang will be unparalleled

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are rough this morning! Where's the Christmas cheer? Haha! :xmas:Even though it's old news to all of us on here, I think the OP was just looking to hear what we as enthusiasts think of it. And to his credit, at least he didn't post it in tech!

I don't drag race, so I think it's awesome. It should defintely put the Mustang on par with some of the great performance cars from around the world. Plus we will no longer have the read in every magazine or online article about the solid axle being the biggest downfall for the Mustang.

I think it's also really cool that Ford recognizes that many Mustang owners are drag racers and that Ford is going to offer a BIW car with a solid axle.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Counting myself among the corner carver crowd, I think it's awesome as well. The rumor of a BIW & later kit for SRA should pacify the straight-line guys assuming it's true (it's still internet rumor at this point, so use a bag of salt with the info).

And, we obviously need MORE S550 threads! ;p

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
As long as it's strong, and relatively easy to work on, I'm on board for an IRS. I need my car to do both drag and corner carve, so as long as it's strong enough, I can work with it.

Regardless, I'm not buying a new car anytime soon. So by the time I end up owning one, it will be several years old, and there will be a full aftermarket of support for whatever I decide to do with it.

Prancing Pony

Reaction score
I am just hoping Ford will put the supercharged 5.8 liter engine in the new Mustang at some point in time. I would like to see how the 5.8 liter engine would perform with the IRS and track pack.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am just hoping Ford will put the supercharged 5.8 liter engine in the new Mustang at some point in time. I would like to see how the 5.8 liter engine would perform with the IRS and track pack.

It has already been documented that the 5.8/SC will not fit in the narrower body style.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Someday I'll probably buy one for a corner carver... But until then I'm keeping my SRA so I'm not slow like the Challengers and Camaros

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We are excited about the IRS.

A properly designed, and modified IRS is an awesome rear suspension for both road coursing, and drag racing - and of course, ride comfort.

That said - don't think we won't be trying to stuff a SRA in them as soon as we get ours. ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back