SO, mustangs to finally have independent rear suspension!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually, according to SVT, they said it does fit, and the possibility of a 5.8L in an upcoming model is not out of the question. And, the body is actually wider than the '14.

Huh....I read somewhere that the 5.8 was not an option but appears they were wrong, I stand corrected.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We'll make the IRS work on the drag strip, and I'm sure the car will handle better than the previous models. I think it's a positive change.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of details are there on this "live axle' option? Is it just going to be like a $90,000 Cobra Jet basically?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
What kind of details are there on this "live axle' option? Is it just going to be like a $90,000 Cobra Jet basically?

It is going to be a body-in-white program, so you will be able to get a shell with a 9" rear. Basically it is just for racing, but it sounds much more basic to start with compared to the fully loaded CJ.

Prancing Pony

Reaction score
I am ready for the IRS. It will be fun to see who in the aftermarket starts producing components to make the IRS stand up to supercharged 5.0 Coyote engines. Always interested in new bolt on products.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Huh....I read somewhere that the 5.8 was not an option but appears they were wrong, I stand corrected.

The official word is it's currently not an option. However, one of the guys at Ford Racing confirmed the 5.8L does fit. He didn't elaborate, so that could mean a lot of things really. I think it's too big and too heavy, but if the twin turbo whatever they're developing isn't ready, I wouldn't be surprised to see them shoe-horn it in for a model year in a limited production type option (like a Boss 351).

Back