Spark Plug Replacement

Joe2006

Reaction score
Hi. I am going to change the spark plugs on my 2006 GT. After looking at lots of different ideas on the internet, I would like some current information. Some say leave the engine cold, others say warm it up. Some say put in Ford plugs, others Champion, etc. Should you soak the plugs after you break them loose, or is that not necessary? Also, if the car runs fine, is there any benefit to replacing the coils? Thanks.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Please search the sub-forums, as this topic has been discussed time and time again. You'll find plenty of threads that provide all the answers your searching for.

Windstang

Reaction score
+1. Lots of factors affecting whether or not some of your plugs will break. I followed the TSB and went slow. I didn't use an impact. I used PB Blaster overnight and cracked the plugs just a hair in the morning - obviously a cold engine. Waited a few hours, then worked them back and forth. Lots of screeching. None broke. When the plugs were out, I cranked the engine over to blow out any liquid from the engine. Put towels over the holes to keep stuff from blowing all over the engine. I didn't replace the coils. I put 1 piece Champions back in. No problems with them. Good luck.

Laga

Reaction score
+1. Lots of factors affecting whether or not some of your plugs will break. I followed the TSB and went slow. I didn't use an impact. I used PB Blaster overnight and cracked the plugs just a hair in the morning - obviously a cold engine. Waited a few hours, then worked them back and forth. Lots of screeching. None broke. When the plugs were out, I cranked the engine over to blow out any liquid from the engine. Put towels over the holes to keep stuff from blowing all over the engine. I didn't replace the coils. I put 1 piece Champions back in. No problems with them. Good luck.
This is how I did my 05 about 4 years ago. Sprayed enough in each hole so the PB was a 1/4” deep. I vacuumed out the plug hole and then blew out with compressed air. No problem.

07 Boss

Reaction score
After you get through this I would like to make one suggestion. Pull your plugs occasionally to check and clean them. I do this at least once a year if I'm not racing and quite a bit more when I'm making track passes. First off you can get an idea of how your car is running when you check them. Kinda old school but it's habit. The second great benefit that even if you're using a 2-piece plug you won't have any issues with excessive carbon build up around the barrel of the plug. I've swapped plugs dozens of times without any plug sticking issues because I follow this simple procedure. Part of my regular PM program.

Windstang

Reaction score
I put in the Champions when I did mine 4 or 5 years ago and no issues at all, but mine is stock and no engine mods. Some people like the Champions as I do, others not so much. I think it is more personal preference. Some people have gap issues - mine were fine out of the box. The important thing IMO is to use a 1 piece plug to avoid future problems with the plugs breaking - or if you choose to stay with a 2 piece design, take them out regularly and put the Antisieze on the snout..

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I still say the PB blaster technique is a placebo.

The problem with the plugs is that soot builds up on the bottom, shaft portion of the plug - BELOW THE THREADS. That soot then bonds with, or seizes to, the head and causes the plug to be stuck . . . and break if torqued hard enough. This is why the TSB has the installer put nickel anti-seize on the aforementioned shaft area and not the threads.

The problem is not at the threads. Any PB blaster or similar will never get down past the threads enough to hit the area of concern.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The TSB also recommends using Motorcraft carburetor cleaner prior to extracting the spark plugs, as the chemicals in the carb cleaner supposedly help dissolve the carbon build-up around the ground shield shaft just below the threads. Through my personal experience, it does work it's way down past the threads, but it does take time. Therefore I would recommend leaving in the carb cleaner for at least a couple of hours to make sure it's worked it's way all the way down and time enough to dissolve the carbon build-up before extracting the spark plugs just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Fair enough. The idea that any fluid makes it all the way past every thread, and then dissolves the crap on the shaft kind of violates common sense, IMO.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just saying what Ford recommends in the TSB. It may not make much common sense, but never the less, I followed Ford's recommended procedure and it turned out to be successful :shrug:

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Removing the plugs when warm makes sense. Pity I didn't see that before I did mine. I don't plug (no pun intended) too many products, but PB Blaster has saved my sanity more times than I can recall. I went 7 for 8 on my plugs, but the last one (the one that broke) probably wouldn't have if I hadn't rushed it a little. A lot of liquids will wick through very small clearances due to surface tension. The bottom part of my plugs were wet with a combination of the PB and dissolved carbon when I got them out, so I would have to say soaking them worked.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Well, maybe I stand corrected on whether the PB will make it to the bottom part of the plugs where they fuse to the head.

Or it's just seeping down there AFTER you break the plug free and as you begin unscrewing it. Who knows.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It seeps down after breaking the plug free between 1/8-1/4 turn. Then you let the plugs soak before proceeding with the extraction.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I quit doing all of the above a few years ago. I haven't broke one since, and up until March of last year I was doing 4 or 5 a month. I now use my 3/8 air impact, just slightly rocking in and out at first. Increasing the out stroke more than the in stroke each time, until I achieve full fallout.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Consider yourself as fortunate that none have broken. Personally, I wouldn't have enough confidence with using an air impact, as there would always be that fear in my head of either stripping the threads or the plug separating from the torque of the air impact :shrug:

MrBhp

Reaction score
Consider yourself as fortunate that none have broken. Personally, I wouldn't have enough confidence with using an air impact, as there would always be that fear in my head of either stripping the threads or the plug separating from the torque of the air impact :shrug:
If I were using my 1/2 drive impact I would probably pinch up my undies pretty well, but the little impact I use just doesn't have the nuts to break a whole lot. I have broken my share of them by hand, however.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back