stalling issue thread #3

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
so, i done several threads each time i thought i had it all figured out.

basically unless i find an answer in the next couple days i'm selling the damn car obver beating myself up trying to figure it out.

i've changed:

fpdm
sjb
fuel pump
fuel filter
cps

taken it to ford and had them look at it and they couldnt figure it out.

i literally got the car down to ford today to have the keys ect programmed tro the new sjb drove it to a gas station shut it off and when i tried to start it would crank but not fire. cranked til the battery basically died

whats your guy's thoughts? ive exhausted everything and every option and spent well over 1k bucks trying to get it resolved over the past year with no luck.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Something is intermittent. How good does the cps connector fit the cps? I'd even go as far as ordering a new cps connector and splicing it in. I say this because I once chased a bad a/c connector for two years. It would work intermittently.

I'd also clean the main motor grounds and reassemble. One is near the passenger motor mount and the other goes from the rear of the driver side head to the body near the cowl.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Something is intermittent. How good does the cps connector fit the cps? I'd even go as far as ordering a new cps connector and splicing it in. I say this because I once chased a bad a/c connector for two years. It would work intermittently.

I'd also clean the main motor grounds and reassemble. One is near the passenger motor mount and the other goes from the rear of the driver side head to the body near the cowl.

cps fit fine connector looked in good condition.

but the weird thing if it was a ground why would it not start after being parked? i literally parked it for no more than 15 minutes and it wouldnt start. doesn't make sense i could see if it died while driving only. then to make it weirder once it sits for a while it'll fire up?

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
You've got to determine what your missing during the crank no start. What is missing ?spark, injector pulse or fuel pressure.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
i literally parked it for no more than 15 minutes and it wouldnt start. doesn't make sense i could see if it died while driving only. then to make it weirder once it sits for a while it'll fire up?

The spark plugs are loading up and getting wet with fuel. While it's running they will "clean themselves" but on shut down they get wet and foul out. Immediate restart will not happen until they dry off. After shut down pull a plug and see how wet it is.

Old plugs will do this from time to time, Wrong heat or gap. Leaking injectors, internal leakage of fuel rail pressure sensor can also send raw fuel in to the manifold if the diaphram is broke/cracked

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
The spark plugs are loading up and getting wet with fuel. While it's running they will "clean themselves" but on shut down they get wet and foul out. Immediate restart will not happen until they dry off. After shut down pull a plug and see how wet it is.

Old plugs will do this from time to time, Wrong heat or gap. Leaking injectors, internal leakage of fuel rail pressure sensor can also send raw fuel in to the manifold if the diaphram is broke/cracked

but would it cause it to stall while driving as well? i will deffinitely check this out. spark plugs have about 40k'ish miles.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about it stalling in this thread. Is it still stalling like you described before the SJB change?

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about it stalling in this thread. Is it still stalling like you described before the SJB change?

sorry, yeah it will die while driving like some flicked a switch bo sputtering popping anything just shuts down completely. then it wont start for a while. it will crank but not fire. i can't replicate the stalling while driving it just happens when it so desires.

yes it still stalls exactly the same way as before and or does not want to start loke before the sjb was replaced.

previous threads trying to figure this out

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115853

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115288

Last edited:

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like something electrical is getting hot and shutting down, fuel pump relay maybe or the ecu relay, or something has worked its way loose.

also I have seen the plugs on the bottom of the bec become loose over time and cause weird things to happen.

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
bec is the fuse block under the hood. check to see if those bolts are snug also pull those connectors under there and check for corrosion or heat.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
ok cool thanks. i'm gonna go back to square one. i'll check thr grounds, deffinitely gonna see if the plugs are gettig loaded although my afr is fine, cant hurt.

jeremy i've replaced the entire fuel system filter back to the pump. pretty sure its not that as nothing has changed.

really baffled by this car, i really want to just give up but damn thing is paid off loo hard pill to swallow on that.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Relay can be intermittent if the coil is failing. If you relay fails you will have zero power to the pump and the car will abruptly die. When it happens and the car wont start try tapping on the relay or swapping it with something like the horn relay etc and see it is starts.

Do you ever get a flashing check engine light with no codes?

Back