Stang ran rough then died and would not start...edit: solved!

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Gents,

I drove my Stang to pick up my buddy for dinner, then when we left the restaurant and I was headed to drop him off the car started running rough...like it was running on 7 cylinders...then it smoothed out...then it got rough again, then finally died and would not re-start. It smelled like gas when trying to get it to start again.

Car has a stock engine with a Roush TVS R2300 supercharger. Fuel pumps are GT500 dual pumps.

I had it towed home on a flat-bed and it is sitting in my driveway. It is dark out and very cold, so I'll look into some items tomorrow...specifically I'll check the fuses on the GT500 pump power supply, but I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has seen this type of behavior before. I'm wondering if one of the two GT500 fuel pumps died.

Here are the codes I pulled with my SCT handheld:

PO148 Fuel delivery error

PO191 Fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit range performance

P2196 O2 sensor signal biased stuck rich bank 1, sensor 1

P2198 O2 sensor signal biased stuck rich bank 2 sensor 1

Obligatory flat-bed tow-truck photo...oh yeah, my tow-hook came in handy:

2v2J3QkpuxUQZjg.jpg

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Thanks Skwerl...I'll let you know.

Right now after sitting overnight, it will start and idle, but then dies after 30-45 seconds. On my Aeroforce Interceptor I show a fuel rail pressure of 76.5. (Shouldn't it be at 39? Can anyone else with an Aeroforce Interceptor go check for me?) Fuel pump DC is showing 74 when it is idling. Battery voltage is 14.3; alternator is fairly new and battery is brand new.

I tried to datalog, but I don't really know what I am doing. If someone has a datalog config file I can use that will show what is really needed to diagnose, I'd be happy to go collect data. I'll PM Lito and see if I can retain his services before I start throwing random parts at it.

If I can get it up on ramps (questionable, at this point) I'll put in a new fuel filter in case mine is contaminated and / or I had bad gas. Next, assuming I start throwing parts at it, I would try a new Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor ( (FRPS - I heard those can blow on Cobras; don't know about S197's). From there the next suspects would be either the fuel pump driver module (FPDM) or one of the two GT500 pumps in the hat itself. I also read that a dirty MAF might do it...I'll probably clean mine just in case...easy stuff first.

Headed to my basement parts horde to see if I have my old FRPS from my old stock GT fuel rail before the TVS upgrade. Can't recall if I got a new one or swapped the old one over to the TVS rail.

If there are any tuning gurus, here is my attempt at datalogging a start, idle, then it quitting:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99p41bkwc8ywu46/Start_Fail_datalog1.csv?dl=0

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
FIXED! It was the fuel rail pressure sensor. I had one on my old stock GT fuel rail (TVS R2300 supercharger kit comes with an new fuel rail and an FRPS sensor already installed).

To help folks in the future, here is what my Aeroforce Interceptor showed when the car was failing to run:

2v2J3V2tTxUQZjg.jpg

I swapped in the new FRPS...it was a tight fit due to the alternator location with the blower...but 5 minutes, two bolts, one vacuum line and a dab of engine assembly lube on the O-Ring and I am back in the game. Car is warming up (it's 20-some degrees here in ATL today!) and I'll go for a test drive to make sure all is well.

Sensor:

2v2J3SjrmxUQZjg.jpg

2v2J3SjN4xUQZjg.jpg

After swap (I understand 39 PSI to be target)

2v2J3Sj5DxUQZjg.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
fantastic news! I was going to suggest it was one of your phasers that had died, taking out the solenoid block, cam bearings, and mains!! ;) ;)

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
Not quite as simple as a ZRX, but just as satisfying when you figure it out. ;)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My aeroforce gauge shows 40 psi...at idle or any rpm. ( with key on, eng OFF, areoforce gauge will show 50 psi )

FPDC at idle is 40% Note, the aeroforce gauge will depict FPDC as exactly one half of what it actually is. IE: 20 = 40% 40 = 80% 50 = 100%.

I have 40% at idle...and 80% at wot / 6200 rpm.

On a side note, when my eng starting gagging a few yrs ago... but only when trying to get into boost, the cause was a clogged fuel sock over the oem fuel pump ( and not the fuel filter). With a clogged fuel sock, FPDC was almost maxed out at 98%, and fuel rail pressure was down to 5-6 psi... that was when I put my foot into it.

Just something to be aware of.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
fantastic news! I was going to suggest it was one of your phasers that had died, taking out the solenoid block, cam bearings, and mains!! ;) ;)

That thought crossed my mind. When the problem first started I was on the expressway doing 65 or so and the car started popping, bucking, back-firing and running really rough. A/F went mega rich to 10:1 and I thought the engine was toast!

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
My aeroforce gauge shows 40 psi...at idle or any rpm. ( with key on, eng OFF, areoforce gauge will show 50 psi )

FPDC at idle is 40% Note, the aeroforce gauge will depict FPDC as exactly one half of what it actually is. IE: 20 = 40% 40=80% 50-100%.

I have 40% at idle...and 80% at wot / 6200 rpm.

On a side note, when my eng starting gagging a few yrs ago... but only when trying to get into boost, the cause was a clogged fuel sock over the oem fuel pump ( and not the fuel filter). With a clogged fuel sock, FPDC was almost maxed out at 98%, and fuel rail pressure was down to 5-6 psi.

Just something to be aware of.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Interesting about AeroForce FPDC showing 1/2...I only use mine to monitor cold air intake air temp (I installed a dedicated sensor in inlet air tube) vs. IAT so I can monitor the rise of my intercooler system. I sometimes scroll through the other parameters as needed.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
What do you guys know about a disc with a hole drilled in it that Kenne Bell sells to prevent blowing out FRPS sensors? I may give them a call and see about getting one. About $30 shipped. Just learned about them after this happened to me.

Don't think this design will work on our cars since the Bosch FRPS base has a protruding stem:

2v2JvEhmhxUQZjg.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back