Steering bind on right turns ONLY when hard cornering.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
This problem is kicking my ass, just really looking for ideas.
As the title says, hard tight turn (clover leaf, freeway on/off) with moderate side load, steering wants to stay turning if I let go of the wheel. Strut plates/bearing right? No, swapped strut assemblies side to side. No change.
Replaced reman EPAS, no change.
Had everything apart, control arms out, ball joints feel fine, tie rods feel fine.
WTF am I missing?

SilBult

Reaction score
When did this first start happening? Any changes or work done just prior to this? How much positive castor do you have? Positive castor helps to center the steering. If you disconnect the steering shaft from the rack is there any binding just in the steering column itself? My '14 GT is my first car with electric power steering and I've never had any issues with it so I am sorry I don't have any first hand experience in trouble shooting the EPAS unit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
it started gradually and got worse. Steeda CC plates only adjust camber. this is not an alignment issue, steering returns fine if not cornering hard. EPAS replaced, no change. It feels like a strut bearing issue on the left, but inspection revealed nothing. Swapped struts side to side, problem stayed same.
I put camber back to stock, I will know after work if that made a difference.
This makes no logical sense! damn cars lol

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues, but have used my Autel live data scanner quite a bit.
Could check out the live feed on torque sensor especially. See if that sensor is
"feeling" what you are (or is it causing it, although that sensor would have been replaced with new EPAS).

I also can't seem to find out if steering wheel angle sensor is in EPAS or column, if not in EPAS, would again check live data for spikes or drop outs.

This article was somewhat informative

"When diagnosing an intermittent steering assist issue, road-test the vehicle while viewing the torque sensor and steering angle PIDs in graph mode. This way you can see steering wheel position, and by monitoring the torque sensor, you can identify any binding or sticking that might occur during the event. The torque sensor measures in Newton meters (Nm). So any action that twists the sensor’s torsion bar will show on the graph.

As for the steering angle sensor value, the graph line should move smoothly with the steering wheel, similiar to a throttle position sensor graph while you’re moving the throttle. An erratic signal from the steering angle sensor—whether it’s an unwelcome spike in the graph or a flatline—is enough to set a DTC and shut the EPAS down."

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/ford-epas-steering-you-straight-march-2019

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I can definitely view the steering sensor, thanks for the tip.
I havent done that yet as the EPAS never shuts down or throws any codes. Sensor is in the rack. But Two racks doing the same exact thing, not likely to be the EPAS.
I ordered new ball joints as those while didnt feel bad, there is a small tear in one boot. I will hook up Forscan and view live data see what it says.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
I can definitely view the steering sensor, thanks for the tip.
I havent done that yet as the EPAS never shuts down or throws any codes. Sensor is in the rack. But Two racks doing the same exact thing, not likely to be the EPAS.
I ordered new ball joints as those while didnt feel bad, there is a small tear in one boot. I will hook up Forscan and view live data see what it says.

So the steering sensor is also in the rack? That should definitely rule out electrical.
At least that torque sensor can confirm what you are feeling mechanically.

I'm almost inclined to fire up the scanner and watch that stuff now while I'm not having any issue, so I know what they are supposed to do when everything is good. Not like back in the old days of fox bodies were I knew every sensor and it's range off the top of head (still do).

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Live data looks fine. The two graphs mirror each other perfectly.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd update, no additional progress made. Still have the issue without any change. I will confirm what I think is the actual problem - header to steering shaft contact. Not looking forward to confirming this. But there is another issue developed since the headers, the right side converter seems to be rattling. But that's another "what has pissed you off" matter. lol
Flowmaster/Holley warranty is void if the converter is installed in a modified exhaust. Really? it is a UNVERSAL cat, it IS for modified exhaust. Should have left the stock shit on. LOL

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Put some white grease on the column shaft where it goes past the exhaust manifold/header. Maybe your shaft is binding there with side loading of the suspension and motor mounts geometry.

Check for grease transfer from shaft to manifold.

Or something like that.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Put some white grease on the column shaft where it goes past the exhaust manifold/header. Maybe your shaft is binding there with side loading of the suspension and motor mounts geometry.

Check for grease transfer from shaft to manifold.

Or something like that.
I bet there is contact visible in the ceramic coating. That shit marks easy. :) I will know in 4 hours....

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Steering shaft to #7 (3rd driver's side pipe) contact confirmed. I should have gone with the cheap ebay headers.... Oh yea, wanted ceramic coating.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Steering shaft to #7 (3rd driver's side pipe) contact confirmed. I should have gone with the cheap ebay headers.... Oh yea, wanted ceramic coating.
Can you get a drift in there to dimple the primary? Might have to uncouple the shaft and hang it out of the way I suppose.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Tough to get in there, but its done. No, cant get the steering shaft out. Have to move rack or column.
I also slipped a small spacer under motor mount plate, about an 1/8". I have much better clearance now, but didnt drive it.:beerchug3:

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Tough to get in there, but its done. No, cant get the steering shaft out. Have to move rack or column.
I also slipped a small spacer under motor mount plate, about an 1/8". I have much better clearance now, but didnt drive it.:beerchug3:
Sweet

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back