Street Tire Decisions

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm about to mount up the 305/40/18 Nitto 555R later this week and I've had them before on my 97 Cobra. They aren't going to hook quite like the M&H or MT, but I can promise the tire life will be longer. I also enjoy driving on DRs, that's the reason I chose the nittos again. They last.

GI Joe

Reaction score
there is no comparison. The 555R is a great tire . Have had them on 3 different cars...they will get 15-30,000 miles depending on driving habit.....but make no mistake...they are no drag radial. The M/T on the street when heated just a little will hook like a mo-fo, suck in the rain and get crappy mileage...but it hooks like a mo fo...the 555R is great on dry and even fairly good in water...not bad at all. But it wont hook up like the D/R. I have had plenty of both.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
there is no comparison. The 555R is a great tire . Have had them on 3 different cars...they will get 15-30,000 miles depending on driving habit.....but make no mistake...they are no drag radial. The M/T on the street when heated just a little will hook like a mo-fo, suck in the rain and get crappy mileage...but it hooks like a mo fo...the 555R is great on dry and even fairly good in water...not bad at all. But it wont hook up like the D/R. I have had plenty of both.

The Nitto NT555R is the drag radial. There is no way that you'll ever get close to 30,000 miles. I've seen some guys get close to 15,000 miles though. I'd say realistically you're looking at around 10,000 miles. Maybe you meant the Nitto NT555s, those would get close to 30,000 miles ..

GI Joe

Reaction score
The Nitto NT555R is the drag radial. There is no way that you'll ever get close to 30,000 miles. I've seen some guys get close to 15,000 miles though. I'd say realistically you're looking at around 10,000 miles. Maybe you meant the Nitto NT555s, those would get close to 30,000 miles ..

yup thats what I meant indeed...

In fact the Nitto DR is the last DR I would ever buy...
thanks for noticing that...

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just had the 555s on the car. They were great while N/A, but worthless to me now. I have to have a DR that hooks great and handles o.k. in the rain. I don't care about the mileage of the tire.

GI Joe

Reaction score
the nitto drag radial was good to me for everything but drag racing...and rain.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have the MT 265/40/18 (commented on MF in ur thread)

they hook

never used a M&H - however for traction IMHO either one over the Nitto IMHO /thread

Joach

forum member
Reaction score
Am running on stock 18" Fanblades with Nitto 255/45/18, but based on the above discussion and getting interested in M/T and M&H...

But with the available size at M&H is 275/45R18 and that is way to wide for stock rims... or is it doable?

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
i ran Nitto 555R on my 04 GT, they were a great street tire like all others have said, but at the track i would rather have my street tires. most inconsistant tire i have ever seen. i ditched them after about 3K miles because they were garbage at the track. i then ran the M/T drag radial and it was good on the street, be very careful in the rain, but they hook like a Mo Fo like everyone else has said. so its really a trade off

if you want more of a street tire, go Nitto but my own experiences with the 555R were horrible, never again will i run them or recomend them to someone wanting a DR
if you want a track/street tire MT

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Am running on stock 18" Fanblades with Nitto 255/45/18, but based on the above discussion and getting interested in M/T and M&H...

But with the available size at M&H is 275/45R18 and that is way to wide for stock rims... or is it doable?

the M&Hs will be very good fit on the fan blades

I have the 265/40/18 MTs on the stock bullits, they fit very well IMHO

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
For pure street ability, I would go with the Nitto 555R. They will last longer than the M&H's, and MT's on the street. Plus, they aren't that bad in the rain either. If your car is a DD, and you have the chance of seeing rain, then go with the Nitto's. If you only drive your car on nice days, then stick with M&H and MT.

I agree, I've tried both. The Nitto is a good all around tire, but the M/T is more of a track tire. The M/T definitely hooks better, but I got caught in the rain on M/T's and it was like driving in the snow. If it's a DD or you drive it a lot on the street I'd go with Nitto's.

-Rick

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great conversation, thanks for the inputs. As previously mentioned, my goal for the tires I pick are strictly for daily driving on the street between Mar-Oct and I don't care about the mileage they can get. They will not be used on the track, so that's also a non-issue.

Another thing to note is most of your experiences with the MT DRs are with the 3743r. The 3786r II series I'm considering have more channels to evacuate the water, so I would think they'd handle a little better on a wet surface than the 3743r. Granted, the Nitto 555R looks like the better tire for wet roads, but if the 3786r handles o.k. on wet roads, then I'd prefer the extra dry road traction. (yes...I'm obviously still undecided)

3743r

et_street_radial_a.jpg

3786r
et_street_radial_b.jpg

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 3786R is similar to M&H below...

Yes it is, although the tread depth seems slightly more shallow. Although it's difficult to tell in pictures.

I shot MT and M&H each an email describing my tire needs, so we'll see what they have to say.

btrokc

btrokc
Reaction score
Well darn. I was already to get the Nitto DR 305/45/18 and now I am undecided. Is any actually running the 3786r IIs. I have FI and really need the hooking power. While I do drive it on the street on weekend and once or twice a week, it is not my daily driver. I plan to get to the strip about once a month so about 5-6 times in a season. If I were going wth the MTs looks like the 305/45/18 is still the best bet. I do have Steeda springs so it have a one inch drop. Should fit fine. Anyone have any comments.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well darn. I was already to get the Nitto DR 305/45/18 and now I am undecided. Is any actually running the 3786r IIs. I have FI and really need the hooking power. While I do drive it on the street on weekend and once or twice a week, it is not my daily driver. I plan to get to the strip about once a month so about 5-6 times in a season. If I were going wth the MTs looks like the 305/45/18 is still the best bet. I do have Steeda springs so it have a one inch drop. Should fit fine. Anyone have any comments.

In your case I'd go with the M&H in a heartbeat.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Leaning towards the Nitto 555r now. Waiting on M&H to answer the same email, but have a feeling their response will be similar.

Date: Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:11 PM
Subject: RE: Question on the 3786r
To: "Alex P." <[email protected]>

Alex

Using the 3786R will be the same as using the 3757R, just a little bit bigger tire. It can be done, but with extreme caution.

Jeremy Farmer
Technical Support / Returns
Mickey Thompson Tires
800-222-9092 ext 3184
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 5:10 PM
To: MT Tech
Subject: Question on the 3786r

Good day,

I'm looking for a street drag radial for my 2006 Mustang GT with a
twin screw pushing 470rwhp. It will be strictly used for daily
driving and where I live gets 2-3" of rain per month. I need a tire
that hooks very well on dry pavement but that handles o.k. on wet
roads. I'm not looking for a high performance wet road tire, but I do
need one that won't get me killed while driving conservatively in the
rain. Would you recommend the 3785(6)r for my application? I already
use the 3757r for the strip and know better than to drive that in the
rain.

Thank you,

Alex

Last edited:

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a friend that drives on his Nitto Drag Radials year round, even in the snow... :LMAO:

I think at your power level, the Nitto would be fine. Our automatic Whipple Mustang makes 520 RWHP and I've been 10.82 @ 126 on the Nitto's.

-Rick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back