Stripped muffler bolt holes

remainvayne

Reaction score
Long story short, after 14 years of countless muffler swaps, and obviously over-tightening of bolts, several of my muffler bolt holes are stripped.

What's the best course of action to fix the holes so they're usable again?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the bolt holes for the hangers? The only way to fix it would be to get a thread chaser or tap it for a bigger bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TANN3R_

Reaction score
In my opinion is the best way to do it use some thread repair set like helicoil. This give you a chance to make bigger thread in future if it will be necessary. But from my experience the thread with insert is stronger then original.

remainvayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes to the muffler hanger bolt holes.

Tanner - what do you mean thread with insert? Like a helicoil is stronger than original bolt hole? I've never used helicoil before, but I assume it still allows one to remove the bolt if necessary ML

TANN3R_

Reaction score
Sorry, my english is not very good so maybe sometimes my answer do not make sense:)

When I wrote "thread with insert", I meant the helicoil spring.

Is many of manufacturers of this thread repair sets, but the more expensive ones using stainless steel on inerts. I never have problem on this repair threads with stuck bolt.
So the strenght of thread connection is better then original, because you do not need to overcome friction between rusty bolt and tappered hole.
Just stay by original tightening torque an the thread will be here for eternity:)

Anyway if everything goes wrong, you will be still able to drill the insert out and make a larger thread.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did this a couple of months ago to three of those bolt holes. One of the front side ones is close to being striped, but can't tap those, so being extra careful in the future. The helicoils worked great.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back