Strut Tower Brace For Supercharged 5.0L

SPRSTNG

Reaction score
Hello fellow 'Stangers. I own a '14 GT with a Roush supercharger. Does anyone know of a strut tower brace that will work with this setup and the stock hood? Thanks.

SPRSTNG

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Looks like I should get into the fabrication arts. Thanks 07

07 Boss

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Looks like I should get into the fabrication arts. Thanks 07

Even though I have run one in the past I've always felt that STBs were kinda useless on our cars unless you triangulate it with the firewall. If you're going to fab one up I would incorporate that into the design. But that's just me.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've tested 3 (yes THREE) different strut braces. They make no real discernable difference, at least on a coupe. Don't bother, unless you really want one just to dress up your engine bay.

Laga

Reaction score
I've tested 3 (yes THREE) different strut braces. They make no real discernable difference, at least on a coupe. Don't bother, unless you really want one just to dress up your engine bay.
How did you test them?

07 Boss

Reaction score
How did you test them?

Our cars are pretty darn stiff for a unibody, stiffer than most. I noticed no difference in feel or performance with or without one. I found the biggest difference in the front end was a stiffer sway bar and a slight negative camber really helped with initial turn in and bite through a corner. I currently run without an STB and without a front bar. Handling seems to be about the same with only a sight bit more body roll.

Look at it this way. If you take a box without a top or bottom and lay it on its side it will flex back and forth quite easily. This is a pretty good representation of when when you box the front end with an STB across the strut towers. If you add a top or bottom to that box it doesn't flex as easily. This is why an STB must be triangulated with the firewall to add the stiffness to prevent the side to side flexing of the front end. But again we have such little flexing of the strut towers it does not make a noticeable difference. Better handling can be achieved through more effective methods or adjustments.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

07 Boss

Reaction score
This may well work...designed for STOCK oem hood with whipple blower. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-whipple-billet-strut-tower-brace-555-5726-whp.html

What appears to be a firewall is not. The real firewall is behind it. At least that's the story
I got several times.

There you go OP. I was contemplating this the other day and I know when I got my K-member I had the option of getting lower motor mounts. This also might give you enough clearance to use other braces.

JAS

Reaction score
I tried the Steeda 555 5726 WHP Brace on my 2013 Stage 3, but didn't fit. The cross bar has multiple bends and appeared it would clear the hood and supercharger. However, the bar would not clear the CAI tube. I returned to Steeda and commented on their add stating it was compatible with the Roush TVS, but they didn't change the ad. I even wrote a review that was went unpublished. It's a well engineered strut brace, just not for the Roush.

ps. I saw a 2011 Mustang with a Roush TVS installed and equipped with a Steeda Brace. The cross bar was straight not with multiple bends. Owner said he had it for several years and had to bow it slightly to get to clear. So maybe some old ones are around.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have an OEM '07-'09 GT500 strut tower brace on my Whippled '13, no clearance issues.

engine_20180714.jpg

20170716_pulley-swap2.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Which ones ?

The issue with 99% of em is they only use the inner pair of studs of each upper strut assy. Then they also use elongated /slotted holes. There is only 26 ft lbs max on those studs.

I started with the optional 2010 GT stb.. (also used in 2011 for the V6 cars....... then again in 2012/2013 on the Boss 302). It's now called a ...'Boss 302 stb'. Once my M90 installed, it had to be removed... won't clear the CAI on driver's side...by 2".

The steeda STB's uses all 4 x studs....on both sides..... and they are very close fitting holes, not semi useless slots. CM bar uses spherical's on both ends. Threaded assy at each end...to adjust overall length. One assy is reverse threaded of course....just like a turnbuckle. RVS threaded assy can go at driver's..or pass side. Transverse bolt assy as well, at each end. This is so the stb can be lifted up at an angle.... from either side..... or removed altogether. That came in handy when swapping oem twin 55mm TB with the FRPP twin 62mm TB. Also came in handy when changing out plug #8. In both those cases, the stb was in the way...so stb was simply raised way up on driver's side.

With stb completely removed, the 4 x studs per side remain intact. They have too, otherwise the steeda adjustable camber strut mounts would go out of alignment.

One of the fellow's on the Roush Forum was run off the road by a woman on her cell phone. He runs off the rd... and nails a lamp standard..... right where the pass side strut mount is. Body shop tells him if the STB was not installed, the car woulda been a total right off. I saw the pix... a real mess... but was repaired. I look at the STB as closing off the 4th side of a rectangle.

But I also installed a FRPP control arm brace,(which actually ties the back end of the oem K frame together), BMR A arm brace,(which does tie the A arms together), and also a pair of steeda CM front sway bar braces. So 4 braces below..and the stb above. Compared to local buddy with just the control arm brace, I can tell the difference, front end feels more...'solidified'. This is on a 2010 GT coupe.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've tested Steeda, Whiteline, and BMR. None of them make a difference on a coupe. They might make a difference on a convertible.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've tested Steeda, Whiteline, and BMR. None of them make a difference on a coupe. They might make a difference on a convertible.

I believe this.
The '13-'14 GT500 doesn't have one cuz it didn't fit over the blower.
I've driven my car without any brace, noticed no difference.
My wife's '08 GT500 hasn't had a brace on it since we got the TVS installed, no differences noticed.
I still have one on my car mostly for looks, lol.

Laga

Reaction score
How did you test them? Your build thread said nothing, only that you tested them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back