Supercharger advice

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
Received a quote from JPC for 11k, which includes a 2.9 whipple tuner kit, ID1000, fuel pump booster, iridium plugs, install and tune. The install and tune alone is $2800.

Other option I'm considering is the VMP stage 3. I can order for $7500 and have a shop around here do the install. I'd estimate the install price around 1k. And Justins kit comes with a tune already. So 11k vs $8500.

Is the JPC package worth the extra $2500?

Last edited:

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Not even remotely. And if you order the Stage 3 kit you get the new Gen II-R blower case.....do it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Justin's kit is top of the line. Don't be fooled by the 2.3 vs 2.9, the TVS will deliver.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Another vote for the TVS. I looked at the Whipple 2.9 for my 5.4 and ended up with the 2.3 TVS ported and it definitely rocks and rolls.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There are a whole lot of options when it comes to forced induction. If you can do the work yourself I'd suggest you do the install. It will get you familiar with your motor. It's nothing more than turning wrenches and basic mechanical work.

There is a wealth of info on this forum when it comes to forced induction. Take some time and search the subject. IMO there is a point where power becomes useless for a street car. If your motor is stock I'd stick with the TVS. I'd also look at all options and take the time to read about others experience before making the decision. In particular I'd look at FRPP and DOB if a positive displacement supercharger is the only thing you are considering. I'd also look at a centri but that's me.

It all depends on what you want to do and how you want the power to come on.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
There are a whole lot of options when it comes to forced induction. If you can do the work yourself I'd suggest you do the install. It will get you familiar with your motor. It's nothing more than turning wrenches and basic mechanical work.

There is a wealth of info on this forum when it comes to forced induction. Take some time and search the subject. IMO there is a point where power becomes useless for a street car. If your motor is stock I'd stick with the TVS. I'd also look at all options and take the time to read about others experience before making the decision. In particular I'd look at FRPP and DOB if a positive displacement supercharger is the only thing you are considering. I'd also look at a centri but that's me.

It all depends on what you want to do and how you want the power to come on.

Very good advice as usual. It's not voo-doo magic putting on a blower system. The instructions are almost always very clear and payys generally fit very well. You can save a ton of money buy investing in some basic tools and installing it yourself. Also, in the future when you need to fix something out figure out a problem, you will have all the knowledge of the system already and you will save even more money fixing small issues.

I'm going to take my own advice and fab up mangy own semi custom big single turbo kit. A lot of the piping will already be fine but the cold side will need to be figured out. I'll probably save $2500 or so in labor minimum.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
a supercharger, especially a PD style is super easy to install, no big piping to route around the engine, just bolt it ontop, extend any wiring you need, and run coolant lines which are a lot more reasonable than 3" pipe

46addict

Reaction score
a supercharger, especially a PD style is super easy to install, no big piping to route around the engine, just bolt it ontop, extend any wiring you need, and run coolant lines which are a lot more reasonable than 3" pipe

I did the Procharger install in my driveway and thought it was pretty straightforward. No intake manifold to unbolt or HE pumps to worry about.
The fit and finish is near OEM like so I told myself I will look at Procharger systems for other cars but you make PD blower installs sound simple. Are the coolant lines tapped into the heater hoses?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I did the Procharger install in my driveway and thought it was pretty straightforward. No intake manifold to unbolt or HE pumps to worry about.
The fit and finish is near OEM like so I told myself I will look at Procharger systems for other cars but you make PD blower installs sound simple. Are the coolant lines tapped into the heater hoses?

PD blowers use a separate cooling system from the engine coolant. There is a separate tank, pump and lines. The coolant does not mix with the engine coolant. A PD coolant system typically holds about a gallon to a gallon and a half depending on the size of the reservoir.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
The gen-2-R is for the 07-14 GT-500 cars only.

For your 2012 GT, you want the gen-2

VMP site says:

R you ready for more? The VMP GENII-R is here! Opened as wide as possible for maximum airflow! For both GT500 and 2011+ GT

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do I want the VMP GEN II or the new GEN II-R?

Either one will produce more power than you will be able to use without doing some mods to the suspension and running sticky tires.

Power numbers get thrown around on forums but the reality is that once you are over 550rhwp it can be pretty tricky to drive around town and still use the power. People on this forum have wrecked their cars with less power. All it takes is applying the throttle at the wrong time and you go sideways. Depending on the traffic situation and road condition it might not be possible to recover.

The one time I came close to wrecking my car wasn't one of the many times it kicked out 45 degrees at 70mph on the highway with 699rhwp, it was with a more modest 587rwhp, decent suspension mods, and drag radials.

Heavy acceleration in third gear, a very surprised Corvette about 8 car lengths behind me (he was right beside at a stop and quite sure he would be in front of a stock looking Mustang only a short time before), and a road surface that must of had a little sand washed on it. The firmly planted tires broke loose in third gear, car went sideways 90 degrees, and I really didn't think I would recover. Two full steering wheel corrections later and somehow I avoided sliding into the curb and rolling. I also credit the Corvette owner for having the sense to go from full acceleration to full braking when I lost it.

My point is that if I were in your shoes and wasn't going to turn the car into a mostly track car I'd go with the less expensive option because either one will be a handful on the street.

46addict

Reaction score
I have wrecked my 2008 and all it took was a 402whp and cold drag radials to put me into a retaining barrier. I had gone from 3rd to 4th and while shifting I hit a bridge seam on the road surface. The combination of that with 45~degree weather on cold Nitto 555Rs turned me sideways (they always seem to go counter clockwise for me). I was lucky enough to walk away from that and replace the car with a lower mileage 2007. There is no getting out of this addiction though, so I've supercharged the new car and I'm shooting for more.
I knew driving on drag radials on the street in cold weather was a bad idea. So I won't be doing that again.

My point is to agree with Bruce in that you should choose the cheaper option. All it could take is a road imperfection or some debris for you to lose control.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Add in cold roads and tires where I am, I have slipped sideways changing lanes at part throttle in 3rd.

Luck has played a part, and I have some measure of concern that after I add another 100 hp... I don't know. I will be driving the car less and will probably take it a little more easy.

I believe the new cars/corvettes are a lot less hairy when it comes to high hp on the street. Much better rear suspension action, wider rubber, centralized mass, etc.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Received a quote from JPC for 11k, which includes a 2.9 whipple tuner kit, ID1000, fuel pump booster, iridium plugs, install and tune. The install and tune alone is $2800.

Other option I'm considering is the VMP stage 3. I can order for $7500 and have a shop around here do the install. I'd estimate the install price around 1k. And Justins kit comes with a tune already. So 11k vs $8500.

Is the JPC package worth the extra $2500?

You need to work backward from to "data points:

-How much power do you want to make?

-Are you going to run e85?

The right blower for you will depend on those answers. IMO most people over blower/over spend on Coyote setups.

And read this when you get a chance:

http://departmentofboost.com/tech/coyote_boosting.htm

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back