Swapped Hurst billet plus for MGW shifter

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I searched and read many threads, and got mixed reviews about whether the MGW was much better than the Hurst shifter. I have had several MGW's, Pro 5.0, Steeda, etc in the past and definitely liked the MGW best.

I have to say after reading the comments about the MGW adding NVH, not much better shifting, etc, I was worried. But there is night and day difference for me between the hurst to the MGW! The hurst worked OK, but was notchy and rattled and locked me out of gear, even at a standstill. The MGW, for lack of a non-cliche phrase, is like butter. Pure butter. Even better than MGW units I've had on New Edge cars with a TR3650.

With all that said, I had a couple questions about the installation, from others' experiences (I didn't see any of these addressed in existing threads):
First, I wish I'd known ahead of time that installing the factory rubber boot would be the hardest part, holy shit, but got it done.
Second, the shifter I bought (thanks again Cam, GallopingFord), was NIB and came with two insulating pads. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to install one or the other, or both. Fitting both in was a challenge, and tight, but they went in and everything functions fine. I have to say that I would be surprised if the stock setup were this quiet. I mean almost NO noise. What have others done with regard to this?
Lastly, it came with a sheet of Dynamat, and nowhere on the install video did it show using this, except for installing a couple small pieces on the ebrake handle for rattle reduction. Is this supposed to be installed on the trans tunnel under the other pads, or for some other purpose?

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
So is it roughly $100 better than the Hurst (considering cost after forum discount/etc)?

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I did it the same way as Ultra. Also, I don't know why you guys have such trouble with the boot. Mine went back on just fine....

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
So is it roughly $100 better than the Hurst (considering cost after forum discount/etc)?

I don't know anything about how a Hurst works. I suppose they're fine. However, if you are comparing an MGW unit that goes into a '11 and above, that extra 100 dollars is well worth it. The MGW is a complete replacement. The only OEM part(s) left over after the install is the shift rod.

I don't have an aftermarket shifter in my current Mustang but, you can bet that when I do get one, it'll be the MGW.

Last edited:

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
MGW ftw! cant beat their customer service. if anything happens with it you can be sure they will take care of you fast! i have had a couple minor issues with mine a while back and recently ( its one of the first versions for 05-09's) wasnt really a quality issue, just simple human error that led to failure i believe. and they got me taken care of no questions asked, didnt cost me a dime for replacement parts. lifetime warranty. i'll never buy a differnt shifter for every mustang i ever own.

So this is my big thanks to George down there for hooking me up yesterday! I'll be upgrading to the latest version MGW soon with their upgrade program they have now. for like $160 plus my current MGW, they'll send me a brand new most up to date shifter! pretty bad ass!

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
You're supposed to use one pad or the other. I believe they are of different durometers.

I did the same thing as shown in the picture with my dynamat.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It took me three tries over a week and a half to get the boot into place. When I finally got it completed I was bleeding from two fingers. Loved the shifter as well as the awesome customer service but I'm glad I have the T56 Magnum now with no need for a remote shifter.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Coming from someone who has owned 5 S197's, auto and manuals, I can say YES. The MGW is the best shifter for these cars...period.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Hurst and HR Cams and get crazy rattle... Would a sheet of dynamat fix that,
Or at least reduce it?

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Good to see i'm not alone in my boot frustrations. The hardest part was getting the lower portion around the shifter base, complete lack of room to work with my big meat hands. Also there was not much room to get the lip of the boot under the trans tunnel flange on the driver's side.

I managed to get it all on after about 45 minutes of cussing/fiddling.

I was unclear on the insulation mat, since the video instructions didn't show two different ones, and I could find no reference of using one or the other. Since I got both to fit, I figure that is just that much more sound deadening? This is definitely the quietest aftermarket shift I've EVER seen in a mustang, MGW or any other brand.

And is it worth the extra money over the Hurst, my opinion is a resounding hell yes! There really is no comparison in shift quality between the two, having driven it with both in the same day.

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Hurst and HR Cams and get crazy rattle... Would a sheet of dynamat fix that,
Or at least reduce it?

I fixed my Hurst rattle with just some Locite, been fine for 2+ years now. I like the Hurst, but will definitely get an MGW when it's coyote time.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Glad you enjoy it man. I had one before in my 3V and it was amazing. Had the Hurst as first and it just rattled to death and was annoying as hell.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I went from a Hurst billet to MGW when I had a 3650. There is no comparison imo. MGW is head and shoulders above the Hurst in operation.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back