The impossible Decision?

booster19

Reaction score
Okay guy's n gal's need some feedback on a pending purchase. Up front is a 2008 Shelby GT 12,400miles with a binder full of receipts adding up to $30k in aftermarket parts and tuning. The car is currently tuned to 545rwhp but there are multiple runs all the way up to 700hp. The car isn't factory outside anymore they painted the blue striped on and there's a few other small details that the Shelby guys would pick to death so forget originality it's more about the build.
Sold at Mecum in 2018 for $29k and that's the best price I have been given to purchase it from that buyer so hey save on buyer fees and the other add on Mecum steals from their customer's.
Second up is an unmolested 2008 Roush stage 3 427r with 22800 miles asking price $25k car is clean inside out and underneath. I did test drive it with an engine light on it came back with code P1038. That and the seat belt alarm wouldn't shut up the entire test drive, obviously the seller guaranteed they'd have both issues resolved before purchase. The car actually just came off the truck so it still gets a full inspection by the local Ford dealer so it was already going to be seen anyway I literally jumped in it as it rolled off the trailer.
I love all those fancy guages and the sound and the look of the Roush but power wise it's not even close to the GT500. So!!! Do I buy the fast and furious car or does the Roush come out on top because price and bolt on I can get some pretty decent numbers out of it also?
They are both great looking with the White and blue racing stripes then there's the grey with Roush black stripe and hood scoop.
This should be an easy decision but it isn't turning out that way for me so input is needed.

Thanks in advance

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
i think if you look at the Roush's title it will say Mustang, while the gt500 title it will say Shelby. Easy choice imo, buy the GT500

booster19

Reaction score
That's true and there's also a lot of those compared to the limited number of Roush 427r's. It's the little details that they changed on the Shelby from factory that's bothering me really. I feel it's just another hp purchase now not some investment type buy. There's a lot of fast Mustangs out there especially at these prices.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shelby

Cars are not investments

/thread

JJ427R

Reaction score
Being a 2010 427r owner I'm partial to the Roush and I say go for that. Only thing better on the Shelby is the larger motor. The Roush will have better suspension and ride. If you want an automatic trans you can only get it in the Roush. On the street they are both the same speed...

Regarding title difference in Mustang GT, that is true because the Shelby is Ford Factory produced. That will also be factor when you go to insure it as the Shelby will be higher to insure, as the Roush is just insured as a Mustang GT.

One bad item Roush's are also currently not listed in Blue Books as Shelby's are, which hurts the value of the Roush. To my knowledge that is to change this year.

You will see fewer Roush's on the road, thus I cannot drive anywhere without getting questioned or complimented on my car. At car shows I generally win over any Shelby's in my car class.

IMG_2205_zpsnpidxnio.jpg

IMG_2775_zpsfff18ea7.jpg

Last edited:

booster19

Reaction score
Good stuff guys thanks and just to make the Roush even more special this one is Manual which made it a fun test drive.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Take the idea of it being an investment out of the equation, buy the one that gives you the most enjoyment!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
In the first post you mention Shelby GT, then you call it a GT500 ..... they're 2 different models.
If we're talking Shelby GT, that's a 4.6 3V-powered model, and it is a ticking time bomb when supercharged to anything over 450-500 rwhp.
If we're talking Shelby GT500, then that's the model to buy between a GT500 and a Roush. The Roush is just a modded GT, and resale value will never be that great. The car will also always be harder to sell than a GT500.

Also, if you drive both, the sheer torque of the bigger-engined GT500 will create a grin big enough for people in the next town to see.

booster19

Reaction score
To verify it is a GT500 plus another 200rwhp to make the grin even bigger. I was letting looks interfer with my decision, the Roush just looks better inside and out but this is why I put the question out there. Time to go Shelby shopping.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
To verify it is a GT500 plus another 200rwhp to make the grin even bigger. I was letting looks interfer with my decision, the Roush just looks better inside and out but this is why I put the question out there. Time to go Shelby shopping.

The Shelby is the way to go.
I have a Whippled '13 GT at a little over 600 rwhp and my wife has a 2008 GT500 with a few upgrades including a lightly ported '13 TVS ... Her car is at a little over 650 rwhp and about 660 rwtq ... That torque is a blast, especially with the 3.73 gears
And yes, I work on both and drive both. I would only trade mine for a GT500

booster19

Reaction score
Screenshot_2019-04-06-11-26-05~2.png Screenshot_2019-04-06-11-28-06~2.png Screenshot_2019-04-06-11-27-53~2.png

This is the car I know if your a Shelby person you can pick out some changes made just to the original car. No it's not 'where's Waldo' just aggravating someone did so much engine and suspension upgrades would go and change the original design of the looks of the GT500. I am buying it because it can be turned back to the way it was if I decide to but other than that I'm buying the power and yes those Cobra emblem's.

Screenshot_2019-04-06-11-28-50~2.png

Last edited:

booster19

Reaction score
Not late, necessary! Strange man(kid) in a strange land thanks to Uncle Sam but hey I was raised in a Catholic family so it was like committing murder, well it all feels the same but hey thanks to confession we get a fresh slate everytime we get full of guilt.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Given the two, I'd get the GT500 hands down. The Roush is neat but I wouldn't value it over any other 3v with a supercharger just because Roush slapped their name on it. The GT500 is Ford through and through.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd always choose the Shelby GT500. While yes cars are not investments, the GT500 will be worth more than a comparable Roush every day of the week.

booster19

Reaction score
While I agree some cars aren't an investment into the future but don't say that to the poor guy who traded in his 68 Shelby for a Woody cause the kids were on the way.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back