The impossible Decision?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
View attachment 69354 View attachment 69350 View attachment 69352

This is the car I know if your a Shelby person you can pick out some changes made just to the original car. No it's not 'where's Waldo' just aggravating someone did so much engine and suspension upgrades would go and change the original design of the looks of the GT500. I am buying it because it can be turned back to the way it was if I decide to but other than that I'm buying the power and yes those Cobra emblem's.

View attachment 69353

Love the car, but those taillights are hideous.
First "mod" should be getting a set of stock tails on there

booster19

Reaction score
Guys forgive me for not replying to specific post haven't quite figured out how to respond to an earlier message if I didn't respond to it b4 the next person posted a comment. Now I'm really confused.
So there Gabe those taillights are horrible! I posted that view of the car to see how many complaints it would get, so yes definitely going shopping for original lights. Next, how to get those blue painted stripes off the damn car without needing a complete repaint. Could just put the blue tape back over them, just kidding.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It's an easy decision, not an impossible one. Hands down the best choice is the GT500, but I'd get rid of those hideous taillights though. The stock ones look miles better.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would go for the GT500, it’s the big momma and it’s in the sexiest Mustang body produced. Plus it’s a GT500.
Stripes look great btw why get rid of those? The ricer taillights have to go but you already knew that.

Good luck!

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
GT 500 Rocks but you are right, the Taillights Totally Suck. Having the stripes painted on IMHO Opinion is a good thing. I've dealt with stripes for 45 years and they tend to Whether and Come Apart after years of being in place... I'm looking at GT 500's as of this writing. After much research I believe it's the Best Choice based on Power Output and Price..

booster19

Reaction score
Well then the stripes stay then more money and energy for other projects on the car. There are a lot of SN197 GT500's for sale out there and they all carry their value well even the couple high Milage one's I see. I have everything arranged and the sale is finalized so I will be picking it up tomorrow. With that said, all the free time has me scouring the web for other deals and man those 2012-14 models have a mean look to them. It's the hood and obviously the rest of the car but it's got me thinking if I should just spend the other $9k avg to buy the newer model. Its easy to say yeah, but that's a big jump financially and on insurance so I do have some self control haha....

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Those taillights on the GT500 make me so nauseas I actually might yack. But yeah go GT500 and fixed the taillights before you even load it on the trailer

JJ427R

Reaction score
Sad thing is if he buys that Shelby, he'll always have those taillights in his memory, every time he looks at the back of the car....;)

booster19

Reaction score
We have a u pull it place I could look at their inventory but a lot of that crap is well crap. So do I go factory original or do like others and upgrade to the next Generation taillights which appears to fit our model also. There's the sequencial type also but maybe those aren't as popular as I read about them online, last thing I need is anything more tacky.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well then the stripes stay then more money and energy for other projects on the car. There are a lot of SN197 GT500's for sale out there and they all carry their value well even the couple high Milage one's I see. I have everything arranged and the sale is finalized so I will be picking it up tomorrow. With that said, all the free time has me scouring the web for other deals and man those 2012-14 models have a mean look to them. It's the hood and obviously the rest of the car but it's got me thinking if I should just spend the other $9k avg to buy the newer model. Its easy to say yeah, but that's a big jump financially and on insurance so I do have some self control haha....

The '07-'09 engine block is iron, much cheaper to rebuild and actually able to be bored.
The '11+ blocks are aluminum and the cylinders are lined with a spray coating, kinda makes them impossible to bore.
So if a rebuild is needed, most likely a new block would be required.

Some things to think about when considering the 2 different generations.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I have a Roush. Yes, it's cool...love the styling, the uniqueness, the light weight aluminum engine, the interior...it often takes first at car shows...it's really a beautiful car...but as others have stated, mine is just a GT with a body kit and a blower on a 3V. Forget value...nothing special here...the insurance company and Bluebook say it's a GT.

The GT500...also a dime a dozen...but it still says Shelby on it even though it is mass produced and it has the factory blower and 4V engine set up for boost...so buy the GT500. GT500 interiors are nicer as well, and the potential of the GT500 will crush anything the 3V can do.

Shelby GT's (not under consideration I understand) DO have collector value, but they are also just GT's as well with some interior farkles and hooziewutzits... and a stick-on hoodscoop and vinyl stripes...and the all-important Shelby S/N which makes them valuable to a collector...but only if they are 100% original and unmolested by us power seekers. I would never buy one. Waste of money for the car you are getting.

So...buy the GT500. No brainer. Oh, and those tail-lights...who does that? They must go immediately if you buy it. Those belong on a Civic in the Fast N Furious.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FFS, the chaisis is S197 stop with the SN.

booster19

Reaction score
I have my mint OEM set off my 2009 if interested. Or the Raxiom Gen 5's are very popular as well

I am trying to go back in line to reply to specific messages so this may or may not work. I think the Gen 5's are just a tad off for the white and blue they look great on some colors and kinda stand out like taking away from the rest of the back or some cars. I will be interested in a conversation about those factory ones though so I will PM u later this week.

booster19

Reaction score
Well got the figured out no more random reply messages. ✌

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back