The only wheel/tire thread I will make

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I PROMISE!! :)

First some background. I don't know alot about tires. In fact, I know very little about tires. What I do know is that they are referred to as 'shoes', and like shoes for my feet, I have to try them on and buy them in person to feel safe in knowing that I didn't get the wrong one. Like shoe sizes, tire widths seem to vary between manufacturers for the same advertised width and this is what really confuses me the most, besides not really knowing how a tire is going to perform.

With that said, I am going an alternate route for new rear wheels and tires. I really like the stock 17x8 bullitts that came on the car and didn't really want to lose that stock sleeper look. I just ordered two hardly-used take off wheels from brenspeed and will be sending them to Weldcraft Wheels ( http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm )to get them widened. I want to make them 17x10, and as far as i know the only fitment issues will be with the swaybar, so I am going to get the swaybar relocation kit for that. As far as wheel fitment goes, do you guys see any other possible issues? Or would I be better off with a 17x9? Or a 17x9.5? They widen in increments of 1/2". They could also make them deep dish, I am thinking an inch on each side, but I doubt the wheel design would allow that.

With the new widened wheels comes the whole reason behind them: fatter tires. I have read really good reviews about the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+F1+GS-D3 ) and want to know if that really is a good tire to go with. i live in Tampa, so cold weather isn't really an issue at all. How wide can I go with a 17x10 wheel? They offer a 285/40ZR17which would probably be better off on a 17x9, and the 315/35ZR17 which is probably best for the 17x10. This is where my big dilemma comes in... the sidewall. Neither of those have a 45+ sidewall which is what I am looking for! oh noez!!! Would I be better off with a completely different manufacturer, like M&H or something? These will be street tires that will have to support 4.10 gears, 3000rpm stall converter, and the KB 2.6 that should be on next month.
As of now, N/A, I have to baby the gas to keep the stock tires from turning over and that's with the stock 3.31's! What i really need is something that will go on the 17x10's and let me not worry about breaking loose at mid throttle jumps at speed or light throttle digs. Also needs good wet weather characteristics, the rain here can be insane sometimes.

Thanks for any help with this, it is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

hoboattacker

Reaction score
BFG KDW2's. I have heard nothing but good things about them from BUstang and can tell you from riding shotgun in his car that they have great traction in wet weather as well as dry weather.

I don't know how little you know about tire sizes, but the 285/40/17 means it is 285mm wide and the 40 means that you take 40% of the 285 and make that your sidewall. The 17 stands for the wheel diameter.

You seem to have figured out that the taller the sidewall the more traction you have because it has more flex. It's been said on here before, the wider the tire does not necessarily mean more traction. If you really wanted a lot of traction you could go with 305/45/17 Nitto 555R Drag Radial.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on how to calculate sidewall... I definitly didn't know how to do that!
Armed with that, I figure a 315/35ZR17 might fit and be 2.4" wider than the rim, and a 285/40ZR17 would fit and be 1.2" wider than the rim. I wish the BFG's came in a 285/40/17... that would be perfect. For now, the F1's come in that size and are ~$215 dollars a piece so that looks the most promising.

Last edited:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Food for thought - the 17x8 stock wheels sit pretty far behind the fender...

So, all of your additional width is going inward (because the way they widen them) - when there is room to move out as well. Not to mention having them out as far as they can go while still having acceptable clearance looks best IMO...

pachary

Reaction score
Andy,

I'm as confused as you about tire sizes, but I really hope the UDPs aren't going on with the KB!?!?!?!?

Paul

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Andy,

I'm as confused as you about tire sizes, but I really hope the UDPs aren't going on with the KB!?!?!?!?

Paul

It's not... just need it on to see what times it will give. Plus I bought it over a year ago, might as well give it some game time.

Redfire

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just had a set of 17" bullitts widened to 10" by Weldcraft. I should have them back later today hopefully if I can catch Fed Ex. I measured everything and the axle snubber pad on the frame rail needs to be modified. You need to move it in an inch and weld in back in place. I just did mine and was not too difficult. I am going to run the M&H 325/45/17 drag radial on the street and either a MT slick or MT 325/50/15 drag radial at the strip. Once I get them on my car I will try to get you a few pictures.

Last edited:

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
got my 325/45/17 M&H's today....try to get them mounted tomorrow then get them on the car for pics :)

Redfire

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got the wheels back today and they fit good. I don't have the tires yet but hope to Friday. I can tell you if you do widen the wheels to 10 inches you don't have to relocate the sway bar but it should be trimmed a 1/4" to be safe. The axle snubber pad has to be moved in though to get the wheels to fit.

Attachments

• DSCN1856.JPG
    DSCN1856.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1857.JPG
    DSCN1857.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1858.JPG
    DSCN1858.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 16

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! And it's good to know they will fit with only a tiny bit of modification. I'll have to have a shop do the welding... I can't. the 2 stock wheels i ordered are here, so now they are off to weldcraft :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back