@ the track w/ the new turbo kit

jwlast

Reaction score
Man, I wished I had the air here you guys have there, live at 5500' elevation, DA on a good day is 7500'! Got the same turbo set-up and mods it sounds like a lot of folks here are running, best of 12.79 at 114 at 7500' DA with often marginal, but "getting better monthly" track prep. Whittled away at it all year to get it there, minor part addition here, minor part addition there etc. Biggest gains came from (in no particular order of performance gains):
- Deleting the cats with the race pipe (not 100% smog legal in a lot of places)
- The Spec 3+ clutch (ya, I know a lot of folks don't like this clutch but mine has been great, holds the HP, no overheating problems like the stock clutch)
- The Steeda LCA and the sticky, "can hold the power" ET Street 305/35R18s (at 17 psi), same tire in 265 couldn't hold the HP
- The 4:10 gears in the rear end (ya, I read the reviews that said never put 4:10s in a turbo car). Previously with the 3:55s the car wanted to just shift from 3rd to 4th at the finish line, now the shift light is coming on at the top of 4th gear at the finish line…..and second gear before the tree. Definitely the most "need to relearn how to drive this thing" mod.
- The MSD 2 Step Launch Controller. Set it and forget it, no more chasing the RPMs on the starting line with resulting bog or spinning. Mine seems to have settled at 3700 RPM as the optimum launch rpm for our air and track prep.
- Reviewing logged data, noting shift points (despite having a Raptor shift light set at 6100 rpm I've been inconsistent, more often than not jumping the gun and shifting a little early)
- Seat time, seat time, seat time……….
Like Timbostang has experienced, my biggest fear is breaking the input shaft. Been lucky until now though…….lets hope the pin is still in the handgrenade!
06 Mustag GT Blk on Blk, 5sp, Hellion 62mm Turbo, Hellion Race Pipes, Spec 3+ clutch and flywheel, MSD 2 Step Launch Controller, GT500 dual fuel pumps, Dynotech aluminum driveshaft, HTO plugs, MGW short throw shifter, FRPP 4:10 gears, MT ET Street Radials 305/35R18s, Steeda LCAs, etc.

gzmo

forum member
Reaction score
Man, I wished I had the air here you guys have there, live at 5500' elevation, DA on a good day is 7500'! Got the same turbo set-up and mods it sounds like a lot of folks here are running, best of 12.79 at 114 at 7500' DA with often marginal, but "getting better monthly" track prep. Whittled away at it all year to get it there, minor part addition here, minor part addition there etc. Biggest gains came from (in no particular order of performance gains):
- Deleting the cats with the race pipe (not 100% smog legal in a lot of places)
- The Spec 3+ clutch (ya, I know a lot of folks don't like this clutch but mine has been great, holds the HP, no overheating problems like the stock clutch)
- The Steeda LCA and the sticky, "can hold the power" ET Street 305/35R18s (at 17 psi), same tire in 265 couldn't hold the HP
- The 4:10 gears in the rear end (ya, I read the reviews that said never put 4:10s in a turbo car). Previously with the 3:55s the car wanted to just shift from 3rd to 4th at the finish line, now the shift light is coming on at the top of 4th gear at the finish line…..and second gear before the tree. Definitely the most "need to relearn how to drive this thing" mod.
- The MSD 2 Step Launch Controller. Set it and forget it, no more chasing the RPMs on the starting line with resulting bog or spinning. Mine seems to have settled at 3700 RPM as the optimum launch rpm for our air and track prep.
- Reviewing logged data, noting shift points (despite having a Raptor shift light set at 6100 rpm I've been inconsistent, more often than not jumping the gun and shifting a little early)
- Seat time, seat time, seat time……….
Like Timbostang has experienced, my biggest fear is breaking the input shaft. Been lucky until now though…….lets hope the pin is still in the handgrenade!

I'm going to save some cash so I can get 2 step and the clutch. I'm running on 26x11.5x17 MT E/T's right now and they're holding up well. Once I run through them, I'll upgrade to some MH's on Weld's or something like that. X-Mas is where I'm going to hopefully get some suspension work if Santa is good to me. We will see if I was naughty or nice :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back