Thinking about an 05-09 GT to daily...

Beerski

Reaction score
Hey all! New here from southern Indiana. Looking to spend about 10-12k on a V8 car with a stick for my 30 minute highway commute. Basically I’m wanting something comfortable, torquey, manual, and that classic V8 rumble. Seems like an 05-09 GT fits the bill.

It looks like these cars are pretty solid and hold together well if taken care of. Am I on the right track? I’m thinking I can get a pretty nice one for the money I’m spending (writing a check btw)

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If you really want that bodystyle, get the '09 model. All the issues relating to the '05-'08 models were resolved by then so it's the pick of the bunch.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Plenty of cars to pick from in that price range.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My friend in nj runs a 2005 GT with like 300,000 miles Changed plugs once. Gas, oil, tires, brakes. Yes they are great cars.

Mike in SC

Lactation Consultant
Reaction score
I second it on the '09. No high thread heads, all earlier issues resolved. Just be prepared to work on the door panels. For details on this do a search on the forum. Good luck!

406guy

Reaction score
I daily my automatic '06 GT all summer. It's high geared, barely doing 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Gets around 25 on the highway.

I think your on the right track. Depending on how much bumper to bumper traffic your dealing with in your commute, I would choose an automatic trans over an '09.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Take a flashlight and look for the leak in the heater assembly under the intake (coolant will be pooled in the valley between the heads). Was a major pain in the butt for me but some people have claimed to do it in 30 minutes. Took me almost 3 hours. Alternators are shit on these cars too. Mine was gone at 50k miles. Starter was gone at 100k but that's isn't common. Aside from those issues, I still think it's a great car.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I got 255k on my 06gt manual. Great car and I don't have the heart to sell it and I don't trust anything else that I would drive 100 miles a day. NOTHING on the motor has never failed me but I have replaced the o-ring gasket under the intake and the oil filter adaptor gasket as well. Never even had a problem throwing codes and no electrical gremlins. I change plugs about every 80k miles. I've worn out plenty of suspension and brake related stuff, but that is to be expected on any high mileage car.

EDIT - the times I've been stranded and needed a tow truck were (1) throw out bearing at 45k miles, (2) grenaded stock clutch on a 3d gear WOT upshift at 70mph about 120k miles, (3) broken plastic clevis on the clutch master cylinder rod that attaches to the clutch pedal around 180k miles. #3 is the only one that pissed me off. That critical part should not be made out of plastic!!!!

Last edited:

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I got 255k on my 06gt manual. Great car and I don't have the heart to sell it and I don't trust anything else that I would drive 100 miles a day. NOTHING on the motor has never failed me but I have replaced the o-ring gasket under the intake and the oil filter adaptor gasket as well. Never even had a problem throwing codes and no electrical gremlins. I change plugs about every 80k miles. I've worn out plenty of suspension and brake related stuff, but that is to be expected on any high mileage car.

EDIT - the times I've been stranded and needed a tow truck were (1) throw out bearing at 45k miles, (2) grenaded stock clutch on a 3d gear WOT upshift at 70mph about 120k miles, (3) broken plastic clevis on the clutch master cylinder rod that attaches to the clutch pedal around 180k miles. #3 is the only one that pissed me off. That critical part should not be made out of plastic!!!!

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score

My Dad had the plastic clevis break on his 06 also. I think it had around 150K on it when it happened. My car just turned over 90K, but I might replace the clevis on it just so I won't have to think about it any more.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I installed a 2013 gt500 master cylinder. Seemed more robust.

N2STC

Reaction score
Good thread! I do the same thing during same thing all summer. I wouldn't drive it in snow. Still have only about 40K but it's awesome. I had the alternator problem throwing a cam sensor error code. Couldn't believe it, but that was it. Also had an issue with ABS alarm coming on randomly, Took the ABS module apart and re-flowed the solder joints (I can advise or do it for you). Go for it. Life is short. I paid $10K for mine with about 30K miles two years ago.

46addict

Reaction score
I am seeing higher mileage 05-09s in my area for $7k-8k which is well within your budget. Spend the leftover money on maintenance catch up and you should be good to go for many miles.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back