Third Gear Synchros bad?

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Ok, I had another thread that I started a few months ago about issues shifting into third. I think no one is paying attention to it because it is so old, but I have new problems/info now. I'm hoping some one can help.

I replaced the crappy plastic hydraulic clutch line with a steel braided one. Didn't fix my problem.

Now, I have thought of some important info, possibly.

I took the car to the track. Only mods were CAI, Tune, LCA, and LCA relocation brackets. Oh, and the blowfish racing bracket. On Drag Radials.

Car shifted ok. Not great, but ok. was a little tough to get into third, but it went in.

Now, flash to the next time to the track. Only thing done to the car, aluminum one piece drive shaft. Now the car wont go into 3rd anything above 6k rpm.

Now, the pinion angle was already fucked because the car is lowered 1". Now it is worse. I do have an adjustable upper, but haven't installed it yet. After realizing this piece of info, I measured my pinion angle. It is -1 deg. Everything i have read so far, and talking to my local hot rod shop, a stick car with poly bushings should have -3, so it is 2 degrees off (which has been told to me that is significant).

So, could that be the shifting issue? In some way? Seems awfully funny that was the only thing done to the car, and then the problems shifting to third begun.

Posted this after adjusting the pinion angle...

I installed my adjustable UCA this morning, and set the pinion angle to a perfect -3 degrees.

Drove it up the street to make a test hit. On the way there, shifted just fine. But, it wasn't spirited driving yet.

Then I dropped the hammer as if I was at the drag strip.

Brick wall trying to go into third. Not only that, wouldn't go in at all, even after the rpms dropped.

Now, under any driving conditions, the car rakes going into third. Short shifting, granny shifting, any kind of shifting at all. Grinds. Goes into gear, but grinds.

Still, only third gear. Now what did I do? What happened? Was it possible that the third gear synchros were going bad, and now they just shit the bed all together? Or is the problem I am having just fuck up my 3rd gear syncros?

It goes without saying the tranny is coming out to fix the synchros. Are there upgraded syncros that can be installed? Any upgrade at all to fix this problem while it is out?
I don't want to do all of this work, just to not be able to shift into third again.

What should I do while the tranny is out? Im pretty sure I am going with a new clutch. Any suggestions for a clutch for a street/strip semi daily driver? I have my eye on a EXEDY MACH 500 STAGE 3 CLUTCH W/ HYDRAULIC THROWOUT BEARING.

Any help or thoughts will be much appreciated.

travelers

Reaction score
I haven't had mine out but I think the shift forks have a tendency to bend and the sliders are plastic so I would replace them also with either stronger ones and brass sliders.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm...i had the same problem but with 2nd and 3rd. Putting in a different clutch fixed it for me. Granted this was on a Centerforce clutch in a 3650 so take that with a grain of salt

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I haven't had mine out but I think the shift forks have a tendency to bend and the sliders are plastic so I would replace them also with either stronger ones and brass sliders.

Where can I get these parts? Or would the transmission shop that is doing it be able to get them?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Synchros are done, yep. I have no idea where you can get parts, I'd call Ford first to see if they piece stuff out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back