Thoughts on accident

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Well a little hydroplaning action had my wife tag another car on I95 the other day. Insurance guy is going to come look at it on wednesday, does any one have any insight on what I should cover with him?

Apparently he wants a list of mods to the car to assess value. Going to be a long list...

To me it looks like the fender, bumper, and headlight are toast, hood got tweaked a bit but not badly.

The good news is the wife is fine, she kept it off the wall (of course the other guy hit it pretty good), and there was a giant rock chip on the front of that fender.

IMG_6022_zpsfiqu11n7.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Is that one picture the sum of damage to your car? If so, there is no chance he will total it so I'm not sure what the list of mods will be used for.

Glad your wife is ok.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
That's the grand total, bumper is tweaked on the other side but the light and passenger fender look unscathed. I doubt it'll be anywhere near totaled, wondering if anyone has any tips for dealing with insurance and upgrading replacements (ie GT/CS bumper).

They said they would be using the cost of the mods to add to the value of the car in some way, for what its worth I have USAA.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If the replacement parts are the same cost as stock parts or less, no problem. If the replacement parts are more then you will be asked to pay the difference. A typical policy covers replacing damaged parts with stock parts, returning the car to as close to original as possible. Fortunately the CS bumper cover isn't very much and may even be cheaper than stock. I don't have the part number but check with Steve at Tasca. They have just the bumper cover (expensive) or the CS bumper replacement kit (cheap) which includes the little molded pieces that rivet on to the bottom and inside the corners.

Hood cost will be covered as if they were buying a stock hood. If the one you have is more then they won't cover the extra. Nor will they cover the additional prep required for an aftermarket fiberglass hood.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Value is value. As for upgrading the Bumper Cover that will be between you and the body shop. Need to make sure they understand what you want to do. A good Body shop will understand your needs and work with you against the insurance company. It benefits them to do so.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
It won't be the shops choice, that's you and the insurance. I work as a body tech and the customer always seems to believe its the body shops decision on repairs and replacements but we are just the advisors to the insurance adjusters. They make the final decision on what is being replaced vs repaired and if a customer wants OEM vs aftermarket.

Weve had Ram customers who wanted a SRT hood or bumper instead of their stock one. The insurance agreed and the customer would pay the difference if it was more.

Last edited:

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Before going back to work I got the car back and was able to throw some stuff I had sitting on the shelf and enjoy. I had stripped the car down instead of paying the shop to, found a bit more damage to the headlight bucket but nothing major. Dropped the car off at the shop with a pile of parts from Tasca/my stash and drove it home a week and a half later. All in all doing the tear down, having some parts on hand, Steve sending me what I didn't have, and doing some reassembly I saved about 600$

[/IMG]

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys! Almost done with the exterior, needs the gt/cs rear bumper, 10' mirrors, and me to come up with something for a lower grille.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
My ocd won't let there be honeycomb on the lower and billet on the upper, so I'm planning on picking up another upper and massaging it to fit the lower....

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I think the newer side mirrors will definitely set it off. I always hated the huge black plastics chunks that came on 05-09. Very sharp car, good aesthetics without going overboard

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back