Threw Some Codes...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my new Bama 93 Ocatane Race Tune today and damn he knows how to wake these auto tranny's up!! The shifts are nice, fast, swift, and firm...just straight up perfect. But after driving for a bout 10 min I threw two codes...

- P0175
- P0172

Something about system too rich? Could someone please help me out on that. I switched back to my HPP 93 custom tune for now and everything is fine. I'm worried about those codes and I guess my tune might need to be adjusted some. What are they, and why might I of thrown them exactly?

Thanks,

- Justin

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
- P0175
- P0172
Something about system too rich?
Just as it says - the PCM found the car running rich compared to its expectations, tried to pull fuel to get back to ~14.6in "closed loop" and gave up as it ran out of adjustment... Generally means something wrong with the MAF transfer function, O2 sensors or injectors...

Given that you can go back to another tune and it goes away, it sounds to me like the bama tune is assuming the wrong MAF? Do you have something other than stock? Was Doug aware of that?

I screwed myself up the other day and forgot to account for the 90mm MAF leaving my stock MAF transfer function in there - car ran reasonably well, but very rich. Went back to the tune and noticed that I had neglected to account for the MAF.

Always possible there is something fishy with your O2 sensors and the HPP tune worked around it inadvertently, but I'd double check that Doug had all of your specs right and got them all accounted for in the tune first...

p.s. if all else fails - clear them and see if they come back (and/or check your A/F with a wideband)

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe he forgot to turn off the rear 02 Sensors accounting for my O/R H Pipe I guess. The car still ran perfectly fine, but I emailed Doug and he'll get it fixed for me tomorrow no doubt. His service is incomparable!! I'll also see if I can get my hands on a wideband as well and check my A/F out.

Thanks Cekim, I forgot all about the 02 Sensors and can't believe I didn't think of that. Doh!!

- Justin

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Just as it says - the PCM found the car running rich compared to its expectations, tried to pull fuel to get back to ~14.6in "closed loop" and gave up as it ran out of adjustment... Generally means something wrong with the MAF transfer function, O2 sensors or injectors...

Given that you can go back to another tune and it goes away, it sounds to me like the bama tune is assuming the wrong MAF? Do you have something other than stock? Was Doug aware of that?

I screwed myself up the other day and forgot to account for the 90mm MAF leaving my stock MAF transfer function in there - car ran reasonably well, but very rich. Went back to the tune and noticed that I had neglected to account for the MAF.

Always possible there is something fishy with your O2 sensors and the HPP tune worked around it inadvertently, but I'd double check that Doug had all of your specs right and got them all accounted for in the tune first...

p.s. if all else fails - clear them and see if they come back (and/or check your A/F with a wideband)

Which MAF housing are you using? Mine is the Lightning housing, which Doug reports he doesn't have data for... Might it be the same as the Steeda or one of the other common pieces?

I've heard so much good about Doug's tunes that I really want to try him out, but I would like to avoid owning two CAI setups...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which MAF housing are you using? Mine is the Lightning housing, which Doug reports he doesn't have data for... Might it be the same as the Steeda or one of the other common pieces?

I've heard so much good about Doug's tunes that I really want to try him out, but I would like to avoid owning two CAI setups...

Doug's tunes are sooo amazing. After throwing it on the car today, even with me throwing the codes it was a whole nother ball game. I had started out with a brenspeed tune when I got my intake. Then I stepped up, and I mean stepped up to a Custom tune which really woke things up. Then I hit up Doug at Bamachips...and well...It feels way better!! It's his Bama 93 Race Tune and it's a damn mail order tune and feels much more better than my custom tune!!! If he's ever down in Oklahoma again, or anywhere near Texas I'm making the drive to get my car tuned through him. Hell, He's in alabama...I might just make that drive....

- Justin

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aw hell, just live with the codes. I quit counting how many times I have thrown a 0172 or an 0175.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to him - he's a bad influence:poke:

Trust me, that statement was more out of frustration than anything else. In fact, waiting for the top of the hour for the company to be open so I can call and order a new fucking PCM.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trust me, that statement was more out of frustration than anything else. In fact, waiting for the top of the hour for the company to be open so I can call and order a new fucking PCM.
Man that blows chunks...

I wonder what the failure rate of these things is going to be in the south after a few years?

They get nice and warm in the engine bay - I presume they are using industrial spec'd parts which are qual'd for such temps, but just because they work at that temp doesn't mean they last as long as they would otherwise at lower temps...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I honestly still don't know if the PCM is what is wrong with my car. But I have ran out of other things to blame it on. Replaced both front O2 sensors, gone over the wiring with a fine tooth comb, replaced the plugs, had the injectors checked, had the tune completely rebuilt from scratch.... PCM is about all that's left unless I want to say screw it and just run it in open loop all the time. Nothing like 170 miles to a tank of fuel.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I honestly still don't know if the PCM is what is wrong with my car. But I have ran out of other things to blame it on. Replaced both front O2 sensors, gone over the wiring with a fine tooth comb, replaced the plugs, had the injectors checked, had the tune completely rebuilt from scratch.... PCM is about all that's left unless I want to say screw it and just run it in open loop all the time. Nothing like 170 miles to a tank of fuel.
This engine bay is nice and wide - go retro big-block....

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For the kind of fuel mileage I am getting, I might as well.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What he said. But come to think of it, I haven't seen them in a while. Pass the salt please.
Well, he's getting them because lacking a functioning PCM, he just plumbed the fuel-pump directly into the cylinders (figuratively) to make sure it didn't knock... Not so much good for the engine to wash it down like that, but better than knock...

If you are getting them on an N/A engine with a functioning PCM - you need to fix it ASAP and smack (or glove slap as you prefer) your tuner...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, he's getting them because lacking a functioning PCM, he just plumbed the fuel-pump directly into the cylinders (figuratively) to make sure it didn't knock... Not so much good for the engine to wash it down like that, but better than knock...

If you are getting them on an N/A engine with a functioning PCM - you need to fix it ASAP and smack (or glove slap as you prefer) your tuner...

You can be my proxy, his name is Doug and he lives in Alabama.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not like he isn't a SV on here. Start a thread in his forum, attach it to a PM, and wait for a reply.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not like he isn't a SV on here. Start a thread in his forum, attach it to a PM, and wait for a reply.

LOL, I spoke with him on the phone about it. He thought there was a vacuum leak. I searched and searched but never found anything. Regardless, I haven't seen the codes in about 6 months and my plugs were out two weeks ago and looked fine.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So youre saying stella sucks now?:popcorneat:

No, I'm saying you suck. Stella doesn't do shit right now except lay around in a damn garage waiting for the blower, oops, I mean body parts to show up. In the meantime I'm stuck in this crappy Mazda 6 that is going to get me killed. It's like driving dial-up on the information super-highway.

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe he forgot to turn off the rear 02 Sensors accounting for my O/R H Pipe I guess. The car still ran perfectly fine, but I emailed Doug and he'll get it fixed for me tomorrow no doubt. His service is incomparable!! I'll also see if I can get my hands on a wideband as well and check my A/F out.

Thanks Cekim, I forgot all about the 02 Sensors and can't believe I didn't think of that. Doh!!

- Justin
Rear O2s have nothing to do with those codes. It's the front O2s that control A/F. Rears just measure catalyst efficiency.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back