Thump_rrr tensioner question

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
So, I recently sent my Saleen Series VI out for a rebuild. While out for service I inquired about swapping to a better tensioner. I was told by the rebuilder not to swap to a aftermarket tensioner because it could provide too much tension and cause the bearings to prematurely wear out. Has anyone had this problem with their Saleen S/C and a thump tensioner?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket tensioner, and all is fine.
unless you are running a small pulley and are actually experiencing belt slip, you won't need one anyway.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I used to run a 3.2" with the stock tensioner without issues.
I now have an 8 rib on there. Got a good deal, probably didn't need it though, and that is with an aftermarket tensioner.
No issues.

Last edited:

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that bit. I'll just keep ol' stocky for now.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Roush HD tensioner, that said I did blow the snout bearings up in my M90. It was pushed pretty hard in hot weather for a while, though, before I bought it.

danzcool

Reaction score
I did have an issue while using a thump tensioner where a stock idler pulley sheared around the bearing. That said, the number of belts I was going through without the tensioner made the tensioner worth it. I just switched to billet wheel idlers with double bearings.

pulley2.JPG

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Thump_rrr tensioner uses Ford factory springs in them. They add very little pressure increase over the factory tensioner. The reason for the tensioner upgrade is for guys bending or breaking the stock tensioners with big blowers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back