Ticking in Fuel rail.

Stang613

forum member
Reaction score
I'm jealous you have this problem resolved.

Tomorrow I will be ordering:

New Injectors (I bought 34lbs from AM, but turns out I can't get a mail order tune for this.. so it's going back for regular 24 lbs Injectors from RockAuto -- does anyone have coupons for that site btw?)

Autolite HT1 spark plugs (also from Rock Auto)

Tunes (from Bama - including - 91 Street Tune, 91 Performance Tune, 91 Race Tune)

I'm hoping the combination from all three will alleviate the problems the car has been having (mainly ticking, but now I feel as though theres a misfire somewhere.)

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I'm jealous you have this problem resolved.

Tomorrow I will be ordering:

New Injectors (I bought 34lbs from AM, but turns out I can't get a mail order tune for this.. so it's going back for regular 24 lbs Injectors from RockAuto -- does anyone have coupons for that site btw?)

Autolite HT1 spark plugs (also from Rock Auto)

Tunes (from Bama - including - 91 Street Tune, 91 Performance Tune, 91 Race Tune)

I'm hoping the combination from all three will alleviate the problems the car has been having (mainly ticking, but now I feel as though theres a misfire somewhere.)

Just FYI I've done all those things and it didn't resolve my ticking. Now mine is not quite as bad as the OP's but it's been hanging around now for nearly 30,000 miles. I think I'm down to an exhaust leak at this point.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone ever pull the valve cover to look for excessive wear? Does anyone know what kind of gasket is on the 06 cars. I want to pull mine. But not sure if I will need to replace the gasket when I pull it.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone ever pull the valve cover to look for excessive wear? Does anyone know what kind of gasket is on the 06 cars. I want to pull mine. But not sure if I will need to replace the gasket when I pull it.

I've checked many times. Everything looks perfect. You don't need new gaskets.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Ok cool. Thanks for that info. I will be pulling mine as soon as I find some time. Hopefully nothing looks bad under mine either.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but today I stopped by the dry cleaners to pick up a shirt and while in the drive through I rolled the window down and could faintly hear a tick tick tick same as before. I came home and let the engine cool completely ( over 6 hours). I went outside and started on the pass side pulled each plug just as before, checked and put back in. I got to cylinder 6 on the drivers side and there again same as before just spins out freely by hand. All the rest were tight. But I went ahead and broke them loose and checked anyways.

2 questions here.

1. What could be causing number 6 to keep loosening. I checked the threads on the plug and the best I could on the head and nothing seems crossed or stripped. No signs anyways.

2. My plugs have less than 7k on them and they look plum worn out. My old plugs didn't look this bad. ( I will take them all out tomorrow and get pics) But they mainly look scorched. Brownish in color. With the tips white. Also number 6 wreaked of fresh fuel. Any input is great. I really don't want to have the head on that side pulled.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
i just kept at them, after the third time of one backing out it finally stayed. try tightening it while the engine is hot. thats what i did.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but today I stopped by the dry cleaners to pick up a shirt and while in the drive through I rolled the window down and could faintly hear a tick tick tick same as before. I came home and let the engine cool completely ( over 6 hours). I went outside and started on the pass side pulled each plug just as before, checked and put back in. I got to cylinder 6 on the drivers side and there again same as before just spins out freely by hand. All the rest were tight. But I went ahead and broke them loose and checked anyways.

2 questions here.

1. What could be causing number 6 to keep loosening. I checked the threads on the plug and the best I could on the head and nothing seems crossed or stripped. No signs anyways.

2. My plugs have less than 7k on them and they look plum worn out. My old plugs didn't look this bad. ( I will take them all out tomorrow and get pics) But they mainly look scorched. Brownish in color. With the tips white. Also number 6 wreaked of fresh fuel. Any input is great. I really don't want to have the head on that side pulled.

brownish and gray is normal. could smell like fuel just depending on when you shut the car down last......if it was spraying fuel in that cylinder and didnt get a chance to burn off.....

as suggested, you may want to torque them down with the engine warm? ive never had the spark plugs coming loose that i know of....lol....maybe i should go check!

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a somewhat non on topic question but is it bad to loosen and then re tighten all the plugs at every oil change? I would rather not have to pay a shop to change my plugs again because they were stuck in the cylinders. Just figuring every 4k oil change just lossen and re torque .

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
as long as you changed them out with one piece plugs and used anti sieze. There is no reason to loosen and re tourqe on every oil change. Just tourqe them down and leave them until you need to change them again. You can go back and make sure they stay tight in between,since you are having a problem with them staying tight

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting ready to go on a couple 600 mile trips in the mustang in the next few weeks. So I had to get the ticking taken care of. Pulled out a stethoscope to try and pin point where exactly it was coming from. Turns out it was the passenger side front spark plug area. Pulled the bolt for the cop off and it was not seated well at all. Went ahead and tightend the plug down. Re seated the cop fired it up and bam!! No ticking so far. Drive it about 25 miles easy and hard driving so far.

BoogerRed

forum member
Reaction score
Would a loose spark plug cause the motor to feel like it's missing only every once in awhile? I've had the same kind of ticking noise, and it also feels like it's missing intermittently. Then today when parking, it seemed like a cylinder wasn't firing for awhile or something similar.

I've had several people listen to it, and they all think it's the injectors, but I feel like there's something else going on. Pulled the valve cover a couple of months ago and everything looked great from what I could tell, but today it scared me when it was running that rough. I shut it off after I parked, then started it back up, and it was running like normal and has been the rest of the day.

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
Would a loose spark plug cause the motor to feel like it's missing only every once in awhile? I've had the same kind of ticking noise, and it also feels like it's missing intermittently. Then today when parking, it seemed like a cylinder wasn't firing for awhile or something similar.

I've had several people listen to it, and they all think it's the injectors, but I feel like there's something else going on. Pulled the valve cover a couple of months ago and everything looked great from what I could tell, but today it scared me when it was running that rough. I shut it off after I parked, then started it back up, and it was running like normal and has been the rest of the day.

Yes a loose spark plug would make it feel like the car was missing, this is what i tell all my customers when i do a proper tune up. REPLACE the COP BOOTS they are very cheap through napa and will help out. A bad boot will cause arch

Also on the OP issue why not just move the injectors and see if the noise travels with the injectors.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back