Tire size: staggered or same all around?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 285 35 19's. I have pics in my build thread, link is in my signature.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I have 285 35 19's. I have pics in my build thread, link is in my signature.

I see. Was wondering when I saw the sidewall pictures.

Hmmm, Ok well I guess I still need to track down some photos then.

Sooooo. Does anyone have any pictures of some 275/40/18's on all 4???

Thanks

Axton_118

forum member
Reaction score
I have the F1 supercars on mine...but staggered. LOVE EM!!!!

285-40-18 Goodyear Eagle F1s in the back...don't have better pics sorry!!!

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may want to look into 255 45 18's.

Google 255 45 18 mustang, there are a ton of pics.

wusthof

forum member
Reaction score
i was recently in a well known tire shop and asked about the best bang for buck summer tire - treadlife, design, price and he said the hankook v12s. If i ever have the cash to replace all four, those would be my choice. gl meng......it's a toughy. my .02

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Shelby came with the staggered ones: 255s in front and 285s in back, all 19', and the wheels are actually all the same size. So on the 2nd set I went 285s on all 4 so I could rotate. They were Contis DWS (yes, the S is for snow, but the tread wear was 500 or so, and they lasted over 20k rotating them), but they rubbed on turning at parking lot speeds in front, so I'm back to OEM staggered sizes.
However, I'm going to go Pilot Super Sports 305s in the back next and keep the 255s Pilot Super Sports in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
I think it's partially preference but there's also a functionality aspect to it I think as well. For me it's about getting the most tire under the front and rear wheel wells to get the most traction whether launching off the line or going around corners hard. At least on S197s a wider tire will fit out back than what will fit up front.
I have a staggered fitment -275/35 20s mounted on 20x9.5" wheels up front, and 315/35 20s mounted on 20x11" wheels out back...
This helps me maximize the amount of contact patch for my handling setup.
For a drag car a much narrower wheel is used up front to reduce resistance/friction as well as keeping weight lower on the front end to improve weight transfer.
Preference is determined by what your goal with the car is.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I think it's partially preference but there's also a functionality aspect to it I think as well. For me it's about getting the most tire under the front and rear wheel wells to get the most traction whether launching off the line or going around corners hard. At least on S197s a wider tire will fit out back than what will fit up front.
I have a staggered fitment -275/35 20s mounted on 20x9.5" wheels up front, and 315/35 20s mounted on 20x11" wheels out back...
This helps me maximize the amount of contact patch for my handling setup.
For a drag car a much narrower wheel is used up front to reduce resistance/friction as well as keeping weight lower on the front end to improve weight transfer.
Preference is determined by what your goal with the car is.

I wonder what degree of understeer you experience when "going around corners hard" and if it is tolerable for you. Looking at your tire and wheel specs suggests to me that either you have made other modifications to reduce understeer/increase oversteer, or your car will want to go straight when you try "going around corners hard". Or maybe we have different understandings of what "going around corners hard" means?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Staggered just looks better...
Not when good cornering behavior has high priority and every traffic-free curve in the road beckons you to take it on. Looks a bit clueless even standing still then.

I'm guessing that any preference for the staggered appearance comes out of seeing these cars as being good for straight-line performance and not much else.

Norm

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Not when good cornering behavior has high priority and every traffic-free curve in the road beckons you to take it on. Looks a bit clueless even standing still then.

I'm guessing that any preference for the staggered appearance comes out of seeing these cars as being good for straight-line performance and not much else.

Norm

Hence why I said LOOKS better. Staggered only works better from a performance stand point on mid/rear engined cars usually. Or drag racing...

Last edited:

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score

Norm

I have to disagree with you. If you are rolling through a turn, yes square setup is better, but If you are accelerating while turning (ie after apex) you would benefit from larger rubber in the back

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you. If you are rolling through a turn, yes square setup is better, but If you are accelerating while turning (ie after apex) you would benefit from larger rubber in the back

hhhrrmmm....no. If what you describe is happening in anything that isn't a midengine 700hp thing, you'll just induce tons of understeer. You need front grip as much as you need rear to get out of a corner.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Turn-in and midcorner are both better off 'square'. Intentionally running larger slip angles up front due to tire size will drop the speed you're at when you roll into the throttle, either because you're at the front tires' limit or because you reach some comfort level with the extra understeer and decide you'd really rather stay on the black stuff.

Whether you could overcome the time lost before throttle on with acceleration is going to depend heavily on having enough power to overcome all of the time, distance, and speed deficit before the car with the 'square' setup can get to WOT. I'm willing to cut the forced induction guys a little slack on this, separate from the idea of providing them with a little extra margin against throttle-induced oversteer. But generally not the NA cars. By way of example, I don't think you'll find many successful autocrossers running a staggered setup, and that's a 2nd gear activity where even the NA cars have little trouble getting the tail loose with the throttle.

Norm

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
I have Michelin Super Sports 255/40/19 and 285/40/19 in back. Maybe I am going about this all wrong But to make it work on the track I dial in 2.5 degrees of negative camber and keep my Strano front sway bar on full soft. My turn in is still sharp and my front end does not wash out. My torque arm give me so much rear grip that it does tend to push. But a blip of the throttle and I can induce oversteer. Of course, I do not have the guts to do it on anything over 50 mph. But that is a me problem.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Yeah, um....

No.

These cars understeer like pigs. Putting staggered setups on them make them understeer even worse--like a drunken Subaru. You want handling? Put some meaty 285s or wider up front and match that width in the back.

And I laugh any time someone with 20" wheels talks about a "handling setup." :chairfall:

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
IMO staggered is weaksauce

go 275s all around, you won't be disappointed.

i run 285s all around and LOVE it, i might step up to 295s all around but i plan on runniung my car in redline time attack street class, which limits RWD cars to a 285 tire

X2.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back