Top speed

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
go by drift box or the similar; use GPS... there is about 8% off... ALL speedo's, so dont go by your speedometer over 100ish, not a reliable source.

Look for standing mile events and the such, they are catching on, and the ONLY safe(ish) way to see top speed.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I hear a car exactly like mine feels like it is on rails at 145 and still has plenty of pedal before floor boards..

SF18C

Reaction score
IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_16132.jpg

Oh wait that was the other car...ain't got the 5.0 up to Germany yet!

Boozshey

Reaction score
I would bury the needle every day while i was in Germany... Felt like it had more in it and road smooth!

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
first of all, germany....

okay, so before tune the car would accel like crazy till around 150ish and then fall on its face... so that's with 3.31 gears and factory rev limiter. i finally got a tune from bbr while i was recently home on r&r and tried it again.... wow. i have no idea how fast i was going, but it was enough for me to start worrying about w rated tires for sure. as near as i can tell, the speedo needle stops around 150. so, i went up through 4th, shifted at around 140, watched the needle go to the 150 area (in 5th) then looked over at the tach, and it was just climbing with no sign of letting up. basically, i was playing chicken with my car and my car won.

on another note, i've tried searching around about motors popping in overdrive under boost. this is interesting to me because i'm about to get some boost and i love the top speed. not only that, but with the 3.31 gears i can only get about 145ish out of 4th, but being in germany.... audis, bmws and other random assholes won't stop at my limit... so should i even think about it?

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score
I once was with a friend in a car exactly like mine in germany....only diff was a tune....the 6 managed a little over 140.
I was impressed lol

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
on another note, i've tried searching around about motors popping in overdrive under boost. this is interesting to me because i'm about to get some boost and i love the top speed. not only that, but with the 3.31 gears i can only get about 145ish out of 4th, but being in germany.... audis, bmws and other random assholes won't stop at my limit... so should i even think about it?

I've wondered this myself but never got any answers. I know to push any boosted vehicle at WOT for any more than 20-25 seconds is asking for trouble. The heat build up will eventually lead to detonation.

The other problem with 5th gear is how tall it is. When the aerodynamic loading is very high and the engines output to the wheels is decreased due to gearing, the engine would be struggling to gain revs. This means you would at full boost for an extended time. With 3.31s I would expect the engine to come apart pretty quickly. It would be like trying to pedal a bike stuck in high gear up a hill.

The big advanatge of the Audi's and BMWs is aerodynamics, high horsepower N/A engines and 6 or more gears.

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
WOT shifts from 4th to 5th and sustained WOT in 5th on a supercharged car especially is a perfect storm. High cylinder pressures already, brought higher with detonation.....IAT's skyrocketing and heat soak ...in extreme situations you start getting blower crash sending minute metal particles thru your engine.

Which is why you build an engine different for mile events and speed records than you do to make a car fast on the drag strip. Its also important to know and watch the signs of detonation and / or the motor coming apart. A friend of mine overheated his heat exchanger circuit and it sprayed coolant all over his windhshield and he still stayed in it. You can probably imagine why the motor was hurt after that one run.

BLVCKmamba

forum member
Reaction score
Germeezy3 said:
WOT shifts from 4th to 5th and sustained WOT in 5th on a supercharged car especially is a perfect storm. High cylinder pressures already, brought higher with detonation.....IAT's skyrocketing and heat soak ...in extreme situations you start getting blower crash sending minute metal particles thru your engine.

Which is why you build an engine different for mile events and speed records than you do to make a car fast on the drag strip. Its also important to know and watch the signs of detonation and / or the motor coming apart. A friend of mine overheated his heat exchanger circuit and it sprayed coolant all over his windhshield and he still stayed in it. You can probably imagine why the motor was hurt after that one run.
What'd this have to do with the thread? I'm lost. I guess a good fun fact?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I've wondered this myself but never got any answers. I know to push any boosted vehicle at WOT for any more than 20-25 seconds is asking for trouble. The heat build up will eventually lead to detonation.

The other problem with 5th gear is how tall it is. When the aerodynamic loading is very high and the engines output to the wheels is decreased due to gearing, the engine would be struggling to gain revs. This means you would at full boost for an extended time. With 3.31s I would expect the engine to come apart pretty quickly. It would be like trying to pedal a bike stuck in high gear up a hill.

The big advanatge of the Audi's and BMWs is aerodynamics, high horsepower N/A engines and 6 or more gears.

It was a response to these posts

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score

that's some good info right there, and much appreciated. so let's say theoretically if said iat's were monitored, a nice easy shift was made and didn't stay on it for too long... would there be any safe way to see what she can do? i realize that most likely a stupid question with an obvious answer, but if its at least possible... i mean, with just my current mod level (n/a) it seemed to be climbing in rpms pretty good in 5th last time... i'd hate to think that i would be limited in top speed by adding forced induction

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back