TR3650 stuck in reverse...

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, dunno what happened to this trans but damn. Hopped in the bucket to take the wife to the airport yesterday morning and started up the car. Everything was cool as usual, pushed the clutch pedal down, put the shifter to neutral... Still had the pedal down and let off of it and it stalls out in reverse... I was like WTF? started it back up, shiter still in neutral,, slowly let the pedal up and there it goes in reverse. Push the pedal back down, go to put it in 1st, and no... Lever wont even tilt left... It went forward to 3rd gear position. I let off the clutch and it just stalled up, no movement. Looks like the trans is locked up. Was able to back it into the driveway, threw it up on stands, checked shifter linkage and all was good with it. Nothing loose, nothing broken. Eventually from moving the shifter with the carr off the trans selector is just stuck in the neutral position but engaged in reverse. Turn the key on and instant reverse lights... Obviously this trans is toast...

Just wonderin to all you who may know these trans well, wtf broke loose? I wish I could afford a 6 swap, but I can't. Life and 5 foster kids empty the pockets way too fast... This trans has had a 26 spline input shaft installed, but nothing else done (bought off another member).

For now I am going to throw in my stock trans, has a bad 2nd and 3rd synchro but I have no choice for now. I am going to try and fix this trans on my own so any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hello there... I am thinking your reverse gate finger broke off.
Good news is you can replace it and it's not very hard, I can tell you what do do if you get the replacement part and a few simple tools.
This is right inside the tailshaft (output) housing.
16jojsj.jpg

2144lxf.jpg

You can check out my thread for more pics, any questions just ask.
I ripped the whole trans apart and put it back together.

Last edited:

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OH shoot, right on! I will check out your thread and PM you once I'm off work... I am going to try and pull the trans in the next couple days and rob peter (my old trans) to pay paul.

TT17

Reaction score
Does anyone have some ideas? Im experiencing the same problem.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some ideas? Im experiencing the same problem.

I don't know what the issue is but I have a 3650 with 9,000 miles on it that I'd sell. Its like new. Shifts perfectly, no issues. I'd take $400 plus shipping if you're interested. Or maybe meet somewhere if you are anywhere near Milwaukee or Chicago.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I've rebuilt the 3650 a few times and my guess is a broken pin that holds the shifter forks onto the shift rail or a broken pin that holds the shift fingers onto the same shift trail.

If you're lucky it's one of the pins that hold the shift fingers on the shift rails. All of those can serviced and replaced by just taking the tail shaft off and you can do it while the trans is still in the car. FWIW when I rebuild I replace all of the pins with double rolled pins. Cheap insurance and the upgrade only costs a few bucks.

Of like FDJIZM said above the reverse gate thing broke off and that can be serviced inside the tailshaft without removing the trans from the car.

Back