Trac Con Advance Trac, coming back on

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Happened to me twice now at the track, turned everything off by holding 5+ seconds.. After a dozen laps it comes on by itself.. Any ideas?

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry... I turn off Trac Con/Advance Trac, after multiple laps the screen between the gauges shows advance trac on out of no where.. with no one touching it, and its hard for my to turn it back off while lapping.. ABS.. never noticed it but it may have just buzzed for a millisecond.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The reason I mention ABS is that some stability control systems can turn themselves back on following an ABS event. Don't know if Advance Trac does this or not, just that it's a path to investigate.

Norm

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
I think some tuners offer a "track tune" where everything is turned off.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The reason I mention ABS is that some stability control systems can turn themselves back on following an ABS event. Don't know if Advance Trac does this or not, just that it's a path to investigate.

Norm

I've never had it turn back on, though I have had AdvanceTrack "faults" occur when sliding spectacularly bad through a turn. The only way to remove the fault is to cycle the ignition on and off, which obviously can only be done in the paddock.

OP, what tune are you using? Stock?

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I have a "track" tune that disables everything without me having to remember to turn it off. All the dash warning lights come on, but the car behaves like it should.

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
I have a "track" tune that disables everything without me having to remember to turn it off. All the dash warning lights come on, but the car behaves like it should.

Does that tune turn off your ABS?

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
AED wrote the tune. ABS light is on, but seems to still work. It's my understanding that the Track Package cars have slightly different ABS programming, which may be why I've never felt it engage. I've never had it lock a tire up on me either though.

CCS86

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I've had it happen a handful of times. Pain in the ass because you have to hot pit to shut it off again.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
i had this happen to me last year...

after some googling the mustang drifting guys provided the answer

in the driver or pass front wheel wells you will find the wheel speed sensor. up behind the fender liner you can unplug the sesnor.

this turns off all systems, ABS, Traction Control, and Stability Control

you get 3 lights on your dash but it feels amazing

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
i had this happen to me last year...

after some googling the mustang drifting guys provided the answer

in the driver or pass front wheel wells you will find the wheel speed sensor. up behind the fender liner you can unplug the sesnor.

this turns off all systems, ABS, Traction Control, and Stability Control

you get 3 lights on your dash but it feels amazing

I would be happier with a solution that keeps ABS ... that's the only nanny that I prefer to have on than off but I could live without it on the track. I haven't checked the fusebox or diagram, but is there a separate fuse for Advancetrac that could be pulled to accomplish this?

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
not to my knowledge but i have very little when it comes to the fusebox in our cars.

why the aversion to losing ABS? you'll learn to brake a lot better without it

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think the value of ABS in a lapping environment depends on how poorly the OE brake balance is for the tires that you're running. The worse the balance is, the worse the overbraking will be on one axle or the other, and the more likely it'll be for ABS activity to occur. In this case, it'll help keep you from flatspotting your tires.

If the car's brake balance is good (or you make it that way by pad testing and selection), you would be better off learning how to do all your own braking and trusting yourself to get it right. The big benefit of ABS is that it lets all the lowest common denominator drivers stomp on the brakes without giving up the ability to steer, which is kind of the wrong thing to be learning out on the track or if any of your cars are not ABS-equipped.

Norm

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
not to my knowledge but i have very little when it comes to the fusebox in our cars.

why the aversion to losing ABS? you'll learn to brake a lot better without it

I learned how to drive on non-ABS equipped cars, and my first Mustang (06 V6) actually didn't have ABS.

My big aversion to losing ABS at this point is I have absolutely zero road course experience, and the pads I have (hawk HP+) are ridiculously easy to lock the tires on.

I think the value of ABS in a lapping environment depends on how poorly the OE brake balance is for the tires that you're running. The worse the balance is, the worse the overbraking will be on one axle or the other, and the more likely it'll be for ABS activity to occur. In this case, it'll help keep you from flatspotting your tires.

If the car's brake balance is good (or you make it that way by pad testing and selection), you would be better off learning how to do all your own braking and trusting yourself to get it right. The big benefit of ABS is that it lets all the lowest common denominator drivers stomp on the brakes without giving up the ability to steer, which is kind of the wrong thing to be learning out on the track or if any of your cars are not ABS-equipped.

Norm

I'm not a "brake stomper" since I've spent most of my time behind a wheel in cars without ABS. I just don't want to end up in an inadvertent slide due to using just a smidgen too much brake pedal. I have no delusions about my driving skill and familiarity pushing this platform to the limit - I don't know where it is, nor do I really know what I'm doing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm less than 100% convinced even for the street, even ignoring close to 40 years driving without ABS at all.

Couple of times on the street I've had the ABS kick in at times when I don't think it should have based on speed. Couple more because it can't recognize what's down-road of where it relaxes a brake caliper or two and take the proper action overall to the situation.

It probably is better at compensating for changes in vehicle loading from driver only to full load (or more) than anything but a car with a manual proportioning valve (and a driver who knows how to fine-tune it). My guess is that in all-OE trim the braking system has the rear axle slightly overbraked for most conditions.

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back