Trac Con Advance Trac, coming back on

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, while I agree with your sentiment 100%, there are a few nit-picky things in your post that we should probably illuminate... Not necessarily incorrect info, but perhaps not fully disclosed.

AI ABS-BASED P/W RATIOS: The S197-specific call-out and subsequent 0.5 power factor is based NOT on the OEM ABS system, but on the FR500S system. Since the FR500S system is "impossible" to differentiate visually from the stock GT system (label on the module "fell off" or was rendered illegible), that system is specifically penalized. The rule is that "OEM" ABS systems are legal, and the FR500S IS technically an OEM system, therefore... Yes, it was programmed with sticky race rubber, race pad compounds, and just about the exact optimum weight in mind, and demonstrates a CLEAR advantage (as you outlined), so rather than try to ban a part that is "unable" to be inspected, the assumption is that ALL S197 ABS systems are the race system, thus the penalty. In AI, where car construction costs CAN push $100K, the two thousand (tops!) that it would take to convert to the FR500S system is a drop in the bucket.

Second, the photos: All of the cars pictured in your photos of on-track hooning are from the CMC class. Camaro-Mustang-Challenge (CMC) is the "little brother" in the AI family, and in that particular class, ABS is illegal. Period. Even pulling the fuse isn't enough for the CMC crew, either remove the pump, or completely disconnect the wiring harness to the ABS rig. The S197 has become the red-headed stepchild of the series. Major power hits, weight penalties, tire-width penalties, all to try to get it to perform as badly as a Fox/SN95/3rd Gen/4th Gen... In essense, they drove out the S197 from the series.

The point remains, though, that ABS is perfectly fine on a race track. Can you out-brake the ABS? Sure you can, if your name is Dean Martin, Max Angelelli, or Randy Pobst. Maybe.

Ha well that explains some of the carnage I saw going on in that particular corner at Hallett. On a couple laps, the CMC field was 6" here and 3" there from a demo derby.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Yeah, CMC is actually a bunch of fun. Take a late 90's or early 2000's Mustang or Camaro, slap in a basic cage, establish a minimum weight (my SN95 is 3150lbs), cap the horsepower at 260 and the torque at 300, toss on some 275mm RA1 rubber, and go racing. These are NOT high-development-level racers, they're really only a degree or two away from stock. It's a driver's series, and the racing is usually very close. In our region, we usually run in the same group as AI, and after the main field is released, we come to a screeching halt at the flag-stand, and do a standing-start drag launch. Three (or four!) wide into T1 on cold tires and brakes will get the heart pumping!

CMC302front.jpg

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, CMC is actually a bunch of fun. Take a late 90's or early 2000's Mustang or Camaro, slap in a basic cage, establish a minimum weight (my SN95 is 3150lbs), cap the horsepower at 260 and the torque at 300, toss on some 275mm RA1 rubber, and go racing. These are NOT high-development-level racers, they're really only a degree or two away from stock. It's a driver's series, and the racing is usually very close. In our region, we usually run in the same group as AI, and after the main field is released, we come to a screeching halt at the flag-stand, and do a standing-start drag launch. Three (or four!) wide into T1 on cold tires and brakes will get the heart pumping!

CMC302front.jpg

Yeah it looks like a blast. I want to go w2w racing eventually, and it will probably be CMC if I ever get the chance.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Another series to take a hard look at is Spec Iron. S197 chassis, stock 4.6L 3V, all spec suspension, should be the same sort of driver's battle, in a non-junkyard chassis. Cost of the car will be roughly 2.5X the cost of a competitive CMC build, but it's on "real" rubber, with a real chassis, and real dampers. Should be a LOT of fun!

Turbowolf

Reaction score
i've noticed this problem with mine too like clockwork after the 1st lap service adv trac light and it resets back to on. every time i read codes, it comes up with the same code per wsm. c1b00:63 Steering Angle Sensor: Circuit/Component Protection Time-out This DTC sets when the Yaw rate and stability sensors do not initialize after the vehicle has traveled 1000 meters (.65 miles) with vehicle speed above 75 km/h (45 mph). RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network DTCs in the PSCM
and a c0063:00 This DTC indicates a concern with the yaw rate sensor which is integral to the RCM.
closest i can guess is the abs has not received an initialized signal from the rcm before the car reaches race speeds, like the abs doesnt have a base line to be able to control slides in trac off mode or control wheel speeds when braking in full off mode. or it could just be submitting signals out of limits for the abs programming due to more g forces provided from sticky tires, suspension, etc. abs is the advance trac module which makes fuse pulling kill the whole system, what would one have to do to eliminate trac without eliminating abs?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back