Traction control kicking in?

Discussion in '2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech' started by WJBertrand, Nov 14, 2018.

1. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Tonight when I left work I was accelerating slowly and suddenly felt a loss in power. I looked at the dash and saw the traction control light blinking. As there was traffic I was accelerating very lightly, nowhere near spinning a tire. The pavement was dry and clean as well. I took my foot completely off the gas and the light kept blinking, I also felt some steering input, presumably from the advance trac? When I applied the brakes I felt several strong pulsations in the pedal and heard some clunking too.

The car seemed to settle down as I stopped for traffic but as soon as I got underway again the traction light started blinking again. No steering inputs or clunking this time and after a few more seconds, the TCS stopped blinking and the car returned to normal. No further issues then remaining 40 miles to home.

What was going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. msvela448

msvela448 forum member

Wheel speed sensor going bad?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

46addict likes this.
  3. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Could be. I wonder if that would show up on an OBD II scan?

4. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member S197 Team Member

as a DTC? not likely if you didn't get the CEL, I'm thinking of a scan with a SCT handheld, a IDS maybe

5. ox white

ox white forum member

A C-code will not illuminate the MIL (CEL). Scan it with a tool capable of reading these codes. An IDS, as mentioned, would be good.

6. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

OK, not familiar with the IDS scanner, I'll research this a little. Thanks

7. 07gts197

07gts197 forum member

Its a dealer tool.

Some scanners have the ability to read abs codes. My elm327 scanner and forscan lite app can read abs codes and datalog the abs sensors.

8. msvela448

msvela448 forum member

Many auto parts stores can scan for it too. There's usually a menu for "advanced DTC's" on some aftermarket scanners.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Thanks guys, turns out I have an elm327 WiFi scanner thingy that connects to an app on my phone. I’ll give that a go. Having said that, the issue had not recurred.

10. 07gts197

07gts197 forum member

What app are you using?

11. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

I have both incardoc and dashcommand. They both work with the ELM327.

12. 07gts197

07gts197 forum member

Im not familiar with incardoc but Ive used dash command and didnt like it. As long as it has the capability to read abs codes and datalog things like the abs sensors youll be fine. Personally, I use forscan lite and I like it because it can do anything I need it to do.

13. 406guy

406guy Junior Member

OT, but are you familar with the Torque app? Will it read these non-CEL codes?

14. 07gts197

07gts197 forum member

Ive never used it so I dont know, sorry.