Transmission swap?

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im a new memeber. I purchased my car from "theboss" We have the motor pulled and ready for the new shortblock but Im unsure about a tranny. I know that a stock one wont hold up to the new power goal I want to acheive 700rwhp and Im clueless on what to go with. I have been told to go with the 4r70w, what do you guys think? Any suggestions on where to even look for this if so? Thanks for any help!!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you want an auto or a stick. I say go stick. Get a built T56 or get a TR6060 and have the gears cryo treated and polished. im looking for similar power levels and thats the route im going (tr6060)

if you want an auto get a built 4R70w and your set

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I have talked myself into keeping the car an auto. Any ideas on where to find a built 4R70W? Thanks

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who are you going through for the TR6060? Have they been very helpful with advice so far? That seems to be hard to get, a company that will take the time to give you advice and answer questions. Maybe its just me!!

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I think I have talked myself into keeping the car an auto. Any ideas on where to find a built 4R70W? Thanks
Good choice sticking with an auto. Check with Lentech about their 4R70W.

And welcome to the forum!! :beer: Keep us posted on the build.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who are you going through for the TR6060? Have they been very helpful with advice so far? That seems to be hard to get, a company that will take the time to give you advice and answer questions. Maybe its just me!!

Steeda

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its been on order yes. since late aug early sept. to not pay the 600 core charge is worth it so far. if it starts pushing much longer i may break down and pay the core

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Lentech last week. Ill let you know how I like it next week when it gets delivered and and I get it in the car.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Please let me know! Im gonna take my time putting this car back together, just really wanting it done right. Hope to have it ready for spring though!!

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Total with shipping was 6400. 1000 hp street terminator plus. With transbrake. Everything to convert from manual to auto except 2 trans cooler lines, fittings and shifter.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Guys...you need to check out FB Performance also. They have a complete 4R70W swap kit that is a bit less than that. Transmission, converter, crossmember, aluminum one piece driveshaft....the whole thing. Runs around $5400 for the kit. Transmission is rated to over 900 rwhp and converter is custom built for your application. Killer stuff.

www.fbperformance.com/

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its been on order yes. since late aug early sept. to not pay the 600 core charge is worth it so far. if it starts pushing much longer i may break down and pay the core

KarKraft always seems to have one or two laying around, before i decided to go with the t-56 i called karkraft several times and they always had one in stock ready to go

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You guys have been a great help, giveing me lots of options and I thank you for that! Another question though.... FB performance has a tranny, the 45TB and it will hold 900hp and 750tq Im no good with transmissions and never heard of this model! Is this a good one? anyone no the downfalls to this tranny? Here it is if you wanna check it out. Thanks guys! http://www.fbperformance.com/viewpricing.asp?TransmissionID=49

_M_

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What was KarKraft charging for them?

$2995 at the time...had to pay upfront with cashiers check or money order, no credit cards.

i got to tell you though, ive heard of at least 3 tr-6060 failures so far. One on a KB car the other 2 on stock cars.

i would wait to see what someone like D&D does with them to beef them up before buying a stock one

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back