Tuner question

activeGT

Reaction score
I have the Bama tuner from my 2015 5.0 and was thinking it might work in my 2014 5.0.

I should add I sold the 2015 and only have the 2014.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not if you're using it on the 15, tuner's tied to a VIN, can only be used one car at a time.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What he said. Need to unmarry tuner, you can unmarry 5 times. Restore to stock and remarry to same VIN does NOT use any of those 5 "credits".
If you no longer have access to the 15, SCT charges $150 to reset the X4.

Last edited:

activeGT

Reaction score
What he said. Need to unmarry tuner, you can unmarry 5 times. Restore to stock and remarry to same VIN does NOT use any of those 5 "credits".
If you no longer have access to the 15, SCT charges $150 to reset the X4.

I guess that is better than $400. I guess logically I should have called tech support at SCT before I asked here but any advice is appreciated. However when you say access to the 2015, I did take it back to 'stock' when I got rid of her. Does that change it?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, since u put it to stock

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I guess that is better than $400. I guess logically I should have called tech support at SCT before I asked here but any advice is appreciated. However when you say access to the 2015, I did take it back to 'stock' when I got rid of her. Does that change it?
Power up the tuner, and see the status is of the X4. I forget which screen, but it will be something like device info page. You can use a usb cable to power it up, like a cell phone charger.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also depends on who is going to tune your car. Some of the major tuners no longer support SCT.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your question was “does it change it”. - no

u put it to stock so u can use it.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I think they call it unmarried but one custom tune locks out all canned tunes on an unmarried unit. I purchased an unmarried SCT with Raptor tunes cheap. I just reset it to stock and then updated it from the web site. It took an hour but after that, I was good to go with the Mustang GT.

activeGT

Reaction score
I think they call it unmarried but one custom tune locks out all canned tunes on an unmarried unit. I purchased an unmarried SCT with Raptor tunes cheap. I just reset it to stock and then updated it from the web site. It took an hour but after that, I was good to go with the Mustang GT.

I have been updating it for 2 days now. When I started it said there were 4700 updates. Then I will seewhat happens.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I have been updating it for 2 days now. When I started it said there were 4700 updates. Then I will seewhat happens.
Just remember,You must reset if it has one custom tune, everything else is locked out. You must reset it to get to factory as shipped.

r

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its amazing that the update donlwnloads all canned tumes for all compatible vehicles. And it may not even give you anything new for your car. But unless you are on dial up, it should only take about 45 minutes.

activeGT

Reaction score
Its amazing that the update donlwnloads all canned tumes for all compatible vehicles. And it may not even give you anything new for your car. But unless you are on dial up, it should only take about 45 minutes.
In theory. It stops after 50 or 100 and then I have had to unplug it and start over. Down to 1100!

activeGT

Reaction score
Finally get all the updates done. Cleared out thee preloaded custom tune for the 2015 and put in a "93 octane" generic tune from the SCT tuner. Time to drive it and see if there is any difference. Not quite sure what the tune actually does. Ideas?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have run the canned 93, and thought it was better than stock as far as throttle response.
Power wise, you may not notice an improvement. Ford did a pretty good job tuning it.

activeGT

Reaction score
I have run the canned 93, and thought it was better than stock as far as throttle response.
Power wise, you may not notice an improvement. Ford did a pretty good job tuning it.

I just ran it and it does feel like less "lag" on the pedal. I didn't notice any monumental change other than that. Anything you did besides that tune that helped?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I often wonder about the 93 canned tunes. Is it just an adjustment of the knock sensor so you now MUST used 93 gas? Before you had an option. Ford says BP gas is recommend as when you buy 93 gas from them, it's actually 93. Many gas stations and companies are really not that honest. More so if the Mob in NJ is in charge of delivery.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Timing is advanced with the higher octane

activeGT

Reaction score
Timing is advanced with the higher octane
Filled up with a fresh tank of 93. Definitely has more response and in the upper band it pulls harder. Interestingly it changed the rev limiter. Not sure how far but I was close to 7500 without it banging the box. Also at 70 on cruise control picked up about 2 mpg.

Back