turbo cams

hazzardoustoysjr

forum member
Reaction score
im in the market for some turbo cams but would like some input. im at a point where im considering trading my car in for a newer 5.0 or throwing a little bit of money at it to hold me over until the 15s come down in price a bit. i love the old school sound of a cammed car. i realize running a turbo hinders that dramatically. the car has a built bottom end and stock heads and cams at the moment. i have never heard turbo cams in person only some videos online. is there a turbo cam that has the lope but also delivers in performance also? i am running 12.6psi of boost at the moment but may jump to 16psi or more when i get the car retuned for the cams. thanks for any input.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Turbo cams generally have a wider lsa which prevents much lope. The 127300 comp cams are popular with turbo owners. I can tell you that they don't sound very different than stock.

What is it that you look for in a turbo cam? Wider separation and less duration to insure the turbo has some pressure to work against? How important is total power to you? I'd bet that you could run a non ideal cam to get more sound and still get some decent power. That is provided that the lope will still come out of the turbo.

hazzardoustoysjr

forum member
Reaction score
are those cams for a blower or turbo? and they sound pretty good. bruce i really do not know that much about the way a cam should be set up for each application. i do not want to hurt the power i am at in anyway and would honestly like to bump it up a little bit. but like i said in the first post have plans to throw a few more psi at it also.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put it this way, something like a comp 127500 grind is going to have a nice lope and will still make a bunch more power than the stock cams, even with a turbo. You may slow the spool a bit compared to a dedicated turbo cam and may sacrifice a bit of power here or there but you can always just add a bit more boost if you feel you need more.

Bottom line, do you want the absolute max power the combo can make, or are you willing to sacrifice a couple horsepower to have the car you want? After all, it's not like horsepower is hard to come by with a turbocharged V8.
More seat time will probably have a bigger impact on dragstrip ET's than the difference between a turbo cam and an Off the Shelf N/A cam with similar duration and lift for most of us enthusiasts.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Just do not lock out the 127500 cams. I had then in my turbo car locked out and removed them after two weeks.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just do not lock out the 127500 cams. I had then in my turbo car locked out and removed them after two weeks.
Unless you use the adjustable sprockets and degree them. I think that was where your car went wrong.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
They need to be retarded some, otherwise the power falls off way to early

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I am running the comp cams 127350 stage II blower cams with my turbo, those are the same cams that were in the car with the Saleen SC. There is a very mild idle lop as compared to stock, but they seem to work fine with the turbo. I can get you a video of the car at idle if you would like.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Unless you use the adjustable sprockets and degree them. I think that was where your car went wrong.

They need to be retarded some, otherwise the power falls off way to early

A 108 icl works pretty good with those cams. You can even get a set from Livernois that are ground with a 113 or 114 lsa for forced induction.

hazzardoustoysjr

forum member
Reaction score
im not to concerned with it being the best application but I don't want to hurt the power by any means. and I would prefer more lope than not. any videos would be great!

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score

The same cams are in both of these videos. The turbo, especially a single, really cuts up the chop from the cams. These are a custom grind.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back