Turbo is finally done!!

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds about right, im at 16 degrees total timing at 603rwhp, 14.6 psi. Well on the old turbo anyway :)

Jason im sure mike has you at 15-16 degrees timing too, my inital tune at 9-10psi made 450 at 15 degrees timing. 18-20 degrees on your setup like ponygurl would bring the numbers up a bit. At 12psi it made 540. Thats a 90rwhp gain by only adding 2.5 lbs of boost. It shows you the efficiency range of that 67mm turbo. Thats around 35rwhp per psi at that level! The turbo wants to flow more! lol

And the 373s are probably hurting you, they may "feel" better off the line as its just like launching an na car, but you dont need gear/rpm to spool the turbo. You need load, a taller gear(3.31-3.55) will add load and will actually spool quicker and you will pick up mph/run faster.

Thanks for the advice and a gear swap won't be hard, I have guys in the club with s197 that have 3.31's that want to go to 3.73's so a simple axle swap will work. I think I might stay with this set up for a while in hopes of getting the car to mid 11's with 8 psi and a driver mod. I would be happy if my PB can be in the low 12's but if I get into the 11's on my own......you guys best watch out!! If mid 11's don't happen then I will change out the gears and see what happens.

Last edited:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Sounds about right, im at 16 degrees total timing at 603rwhp, 14.6 psi. Well on the old turbo anyway :)

Jason im sure mike has you at 15-16 degrees timing too, my inital tune at 9-10psi made 450 at 15 degrees timing. 18-20 degrees on your setup like ponygurl would bring the numbers up a bit. At 12psi it made 540. Thats a 90rwhp gain by only adding 2.5 lbs of boost. It shows you the efficiency range of that 67mm turbo. Thats around 35rwhp per psi at that level! The turbo wants to flow more! lol

And the 373s are probably hurting you, they may "feel" better off the line as its just like launching an na car, but you dont need gear/rpm to spool the turbo. You need load, a taller gear(3.31-3.55) will add load and will actually spool quicker and you will pick up mph/run faster.

You took the words right out of my mouth. And OP congrats and your new turbo stang..

Damn good info, turbo's love to lean on taller gears.

:highfive:

Beautiful car and awesome setup. Get some more seat time and have fun :beer:

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
^^^^Might be going to the track tomorrow night and work on some driving skillz!!

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Rockingham dragway test and tune this saturday starting at 9am it would be cool to see ya down there...there are going to be some badass cars down there

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
Been to the "Rock" before but never ran there. My club is working with Holcomb to put together a "club vs club" track event with other local stang clubs in the area. Can't promise anything espically when we will be out racing Friday night. Thanks for the invite.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and a gear swap won't be hard, I have guys in the club with s197 that have 3.31's that want to go to 3.73's so a simple axle swap will work. I think I might stay with this set up for a while in hopes of getting the car to mid 11's with 8 psi and a driver mod. I would be happy if my PB can be in the low 12's but if I get into the 11's on my own......you guys best watch out!! If mid 11's don't happen then I will change out the gears and see what happens.

You will find the 373s are limiting your power band. But i agree run it like it is for now and see what it will do. My buddy has a 2000 GT with a 62mm turbo just ran a 11.9 with 327 gears, he made 410rwhp 550rwtq.

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
I will keep you posted if the car goes 11's and if I end up doing a gear swap. Overall this is just suppose to be a nice street car with a fun turbo set up. Getting the car to run mid 11's would just be a plus!!

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
John from BBR, Jeff Davis (stang910) is a good friend of mine, he is the one who installed the turbo in my car. I am sure your fimilar with him, he has the 5.0 that went 11.72 with just 3 bolt on's!!! And that was off a can tune from you guys!

Last edited:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
your car sounds great at WOT!! did you buy the stripes locally or online somewhere? mine need replacing after the winter

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
Bought the car brand new in 05 and within 6 months had the grey stripes painted on to match the spokes of my rims.

ponygurl

forum member
Reaction score
Okay so last night I got my personal best so far. 13.04@113. I still need more seat time. My husband is getting some SLP linelocks and a 2 step for me. I never learned how to do a burnout so this will help me getting the tires hot. On a side note my husband got his personal best on street tires later that night 12.5@115. He was trying for 11's on our MT's but one of his lug nuts was cross threaded so he couldn't swap out tires. Here is the video of me racing him early that night (screamingfast). Right at 1.05 in video is when we are racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uTOYxnYd8

Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
theres plenty of room for improvement. when i went a few weeks ago with jeffs frc, i was doing piss poor. i ran a 13.1 @ 118, my 60s with typically in the 2.3-2.4 range, and even one 2.5 lol. youll get it down

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Congrats on the turbo install. I love the sound of a turbo screaming!
Seat time will help alot just get out and have fun

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back