Turbo Saleen final steps

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
That's sounds awesome! I can't wait to work with him.

This is technically my 4th tune, but its the first drive tune and it drives very good, the first one was rich which is normal for a start up tune, so he put less fuel, still rich. I'm sure the reason for that was that I still had the original plugs and they were worn out, check the pics out. So the third tune had even less fuel, but with the new plugs, itit idled really good. Once we got a good idle log with the new plugs, he sent me the drive tune and its great. I'm going to do my first wot log today to get my next tune.

Hey Terry, can't wait bud, first ls will probably be my brothers '10 SS, cai/tune, lol. I saw a red zl1 in bmt yesterday but it was in the incoming lane, he saw me, I saw him, he saw my intercooler, then he looked the other way, lol.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Thats toooo funny
I debated bout not using a pillar gauge , just so i could have the a ha moments like that

I have the triple gauge pod, looks good, is out of the way and fits great.

Just got my wot pull log, from 2k to 4500rpm our so, boost starts building at 2700 or so and his 6# at 3200 it so, feels strong, didn't break the ties lose or anything crazy, that was with the tcs off. Afr was at @ 12.0 our so while in boost, just sent the log to Lito, waiting fur the update.

Last edited:

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Got my second driving tune, I don't know what he did but it feels stronger, makes boost faster and hits harder. He wants me to do a log to 6k, yes sir!

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
You have been very supportive of Granatelli and I will do the very best I can for you when it come time

Glad your project is coming along

Thanks! I'll let you know JR.

Did my second pull/log today @6psi, felt good, no problems. Unless Lito isn't telling me, the ba2800 is working just fine. There is one complaint though...I already want more! Lol

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
Bump it to 9-10lbs, that'll hold you over for a few months but then I'm sure ill be reading a build thread in the future from you!

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Bump it to 9-10lbs, that'll hold you over for a few months but then I'm sure ill be reading a build thread in the future from you!

Lol, yeah, I'll turn it up when Lito gives me the ok. My wife's all for the forged 302, just gotta get my funds together, it'll be a while though.

Granatelli

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll let you know JR.

Did my second pull/log today @6psi, felt good, no problems. Unless Lito isn't telling me, the ba2800 is working just fine. There is one complaint though...I already want more! Lol

As indicated and well documented :beerdrink: Nothing NOTHING is more stable than the BA2400 & BA2800. They are OE spec.

I agree the new "slot in" design (like a BA5000) is nice but no one in the aftermarket can calibrate them past 2500 kg/hr so it’s all a guess after that. WE have the only flow bench (short of Hitachi) that can even flow that high with certainty.

I am a huge fan of the BA2800 unless you try to go over 700hp -

Why? because they repeat every time and I know guys like Lito feel better when they know they have quality parts

Granatelli

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, yeah, I'll turn it up when Lito gives me the ok. My wife's all for the forged 302, just gotta get my funds together, it'll be a while though.

All kidding aside. I want you to be happy and safe. 10psi from that turbo is head and shoulders way better than 10psi from a centrifugal type blower that brings the boost in based solely on RPM. The reason I am building a 302 for the Saleen I mentioned a few posts ago is because someone told him he could run his Whipple at 10psi on a stock motor. It had all 10 psi by 2500 and bent a rod. You turbo kit will make even more torque than that and toque is what kills the motor - low end grunt. So while it’s a wonderful thing to have (torque) it is also your worse enemy on a stock motor.

Also strokers are great (302) but a simple forged 4.6 with a 3.54 crank will still make mega power at 12psi. Look at that dyno video - 600 rwhp is pretty awesome. A new ZR1 makes 530 rwhp.

Last edited:

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
Yeah I've been running 9lbs for a while now and I think it would run like this for a long time. I purchased a forged 4.6 just to turn up the boost.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Although I'd love to have 800+ whp, it's not realistic for what I need, I think 650-700 would be plenty of fun and still streetable.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you will find the happy spot for a fun street car is the 500-600 rwhp range. With that power level you can still hook, in the summer months, fairly well with some good dr's and on a good road. I was running mine at 600rwhp with my street tune and it was at the limits as far as traction goes. This is with 15# of boost, an automatic, M/T 305/45 18 DR's and 3.27 rear gears. If it's not hot and sticky out you can forget about hooking at all in the lower gears. When you start getting over 600 you just turn the car into a tire fryer.

In the winter I run BFG KDW's and just run off the W/G springs at 10# and it will still fry the tires in any gear below 4th.

Earl

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I think you will find the happy spot for a fun street car is the 500-600 rwhp range. With that power level you can still hook, in the summer months, fairly well with some good dr's and on a good road. I was running mine at 600rwhp with my street tune and it was at the limits as far as traction goes. This is with 15# of boost, an automatic, M/T 305/45 18 DR's and 3.27 rear gears. If it's not hot and sticky out you can forget about hooking at all in the lower gears. When you start getting over 600 you just turn the car into a tire fryer.

In the winter I run BFG KDW's and just run off the W/G springs at 10# and it will still fry the tires in any gear below 4th.

Earl

Thanks Earl, any videos of your car?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back